Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It would be nice if EAP features can be a la carte...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving with the EAP trial for a week or so, and while it's great when traffic is free flowing, the trial confirmed that my reasoning for not buying it was well placed. Now I know there are many folks here who love the EAP + Navigate on AP and I think that's great, but I just don't think it's for me. However, I would like to have the enhanced cruise control and summon feature by themselves, and I'm willing to pay say $1500-$2000 for it, just not $5000 (or $5500 for the trial) for the whole thing.

It would be great if Tesla could offer select EAP features at a la carte pricing. I'd love to hear other members' thoughts on this.

I agree with Ciditad.....although cool, I'm not sure I would use EAP enough to justify the $5500 cost. But, I'd like to see something a little different. I'd like to have the ability to pay to use EAP on a daily or weekly basis. Say, I'm going to Vegas for the weekend. I'd like to be able to purchase EAP just for those days. I think that could be a real revenue stream for Tesla.

Keith

I'd love to just buy TACC on its own and thats it. Maybe even the option to rent it a day at a time for road trips. I'm in a city and most of the features are totally useless to me. Automatic parking is not precise enough for tight spaces and doesn't put the car anywhere near the curb. Summon will not work in 99% of the places where I park and certainly not at home with street parking. Autosteer is erratic on busy city streets with lots of traffic and imperfect markings.

Thanks for your post Cititad. Any features related to safety should be standard equipment on all Teslas. Therefore Advanced Cruise Control should be standard on all cars sold my Tesla and if that means raising the base price, so be it. I also think that automatic stop or accident avoidance should also be a standard feature. I don't believe that auto stop is available on Tesla while it's available on other cars which surprises me given all the cameras and radar standard on all Teslas.

EAP features such as autosteer and navigate on autosteer should be an option. I believe it's great and use it all the time on the freeway. Don't mind paying extra for that feature.

Full autopilot should be deleted as an option. It's really not available at this time. When and if it is available, offer it as a software upgrade. It's a feature that is in the future, perhaps years away.

Summon feature is sort of a gimmick as far as I am concerned. Don't use it and don't anticipate using it. As far as the comments as to AP being erratic, that has not been my experience. Autosteer is spot on, the car slows if someone jumps in my lane. It's great in heavy traffic and open highway. Driving is so much less stressful with AP.

Safety first, not optional. Let Tesla price the car accordingly.

Last edited:
There are people on the forum who just don't want even TACC, they prefer to drive their car themselves. Why make them pay for adding it to the cost of the car as suggested above. People did and can drive their cars safely without it, but yes, Elon does think everything including AutoSteer increases ones safety and many here who use it agree. As a disclaimer we have EAP, my husband presently uses TACC and I don't use any of the features in my driving with the exception of TACC on a few long distance highway trips. Most of my trips are local in town so don't feel the need for it.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Only thing I would use day to day is TACC. My driving is lots of suburban type stuff with some two lane highway. Not really full EAP candidate driving. I thought about getting EAP for the 5k but since my daily driving wouldn't be affected much I decided to put that 5k towards a PV array (along with the extra 11k for the performance I strongly considered). I would definitely have paid 1k for TACC, so in that case Tesla lost some money it could have recouped and I lost functionality.

Seems like a good case to consider ala carte pricing.

I get why they do it. Profit. Once the overwhelming demand dies down (could be years as they haven't really gone international yet), then they can break it up to eke out profit from dying demand. Right now though, too many "true believers" who willingly pay the "premium" and buy the full package even if they don't want all of it.

That includes me. I really only want the autosteer and TACC. I agree a lot of stuff should come standard. But I totally get the position the company is in so I ponied up. At least I get some features I wanted. What I want out of FSD won't be available for years I bet so I didn't bother with that.

Given the new standard equipment from manufacturers like Toyota a lot of EAP should be in the base price of the car. Things like traffic aware cruise control, blind spot monitoring and lane departure warnings. These features are becoming standard, but to get them on Tesla you have to pay for EAP. Tesla probably should move some stuff to standard, and cut the price of EAP for the useful features that are left.

Yet another thread on this? Tesla needs to cover software development time for all of their software features and this is how they have packaged it.

So, you’re saying if you were responsible for Tesla’s P&L you would prefer to have $0 revenue as opposed to $2000 even though the cost of the hardware has already been incurred? Or even better, you would reject recurring revenue stream from as-needed or incidental usage of the EAP feature?

So, you’re saying if you were responsible for Tesla’s P&L you would prefer to have $0 revenue as opposed to $2000 even though the cost of the hardware has already been incurred? Or even better, you would reject recurring revenue stream from as-needed or incidental usage of the EAP feature?
Or, it’s easier just to offer a full-fledged solution that a lot of people are happy with and will pay full amount for, rather than trying to a-la-carte a piece-meal solution.

Like the HBO example, you get all of the shows or none of the shows.

Reactions: SMAlset