Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Itchen Bridge Toll Concession

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you live In the Southampton area or surrounds (see below) and own an EV you can register to cross the Itchen Bridge free of charge…

“Owners of fully electric vehicles living in the following council areas can currently cross the bridge free of charge* with a SmartCities card:

Southampton City Council, New Forest District Council, Test Valley Borough Council, Winchester District Council, Eastleigh Borough Council, Fareham Borough Council, Gosport Borough Council, Havant Borough Council and Portsmouth City Council.

*The applicant needs to be the registered keeper of the vehicle and the vehicle needs to be registered to the address of the applicant.”

Reactions: Jerryjal
This is good to know, I already have one of these cards as I travel to Southampton from Portsmouth quite frequently. I currently pay so am curious to know if I have to apply for a new card or maybe I can contact them to get the one I have changed to a concession one? I’ll try and call them this morning.
thanks for the heads up.

This is good to know, I already have one of these cards as I travel to Southampton from Portsmouth quite frequently. I currently pay so am curious to know if I have to apply for a new card or maybe I can contact them to get the one I have changed to a concession one? I’ll try and call them this morning.
thanks for the heads up.

Went through the process yesterday and I also already had a Smart Cities photo ID card for paying the toll. You have to fill in the form that’s at the link and then take it in person (no online or post option) to either the Gateway at Southampton Guildhall or any Southampton city library along with the supporting documents. You can add the number of your current Smart Cities card on the application form, but according to the very helpful person I dealt with at Gateway yesterday a new card to use for the toll will be issued and sent out by post.

Only took five minutes at Gateway to do the necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerryjal
Thanks for that, I called them this morning and spoke to a very nice lady on the phone who has asked me to email my proof of ID along with my current Smartcities card and a copy of my V5 as she has been led to believe that they may just be able to update my account as I don't live in Southampton.
I have just done that, it may not work but if it does it saves me a trip to either the library or the Gateway.

Reactions: Masklin
I got one of their new EV Free cards a few months ago it is clearly marked with and only applies to your registered EV numberplate.
Its as well as your smartcities card and doesn't replace it.
Any Itchen Bridge credit you may have on the original card stays there - useful if you're not in your own EV when using the bridge.
I'm assuming that they use ANPR so you can't use the EV free card with any other vehicle.