TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

It's Amazing What You Can Cram into a Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wdolson, Aug 26, 2016.

1. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Had to take a long twin mattress to Goodwill.

Mattress.jpg

Only when we tried to drop it off we found out that Washington recently passed a law forbidding the donation of mattresses to charities, even if it's clean.

2. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Since you have it there, how comfortable would two people be in the back there with the hatch closed... and maybe some Barry White on the sound system?

...Asking for a friend o_O

• Funny x 14
  3. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

Turn on "camping mode" and throw in some shades, you're good to go, and so is your friend ;)

• Like x 2
  4. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

If you're tall you might end up with your feet a bit squished at the hatch. The back end just barely cleared the hatch. I also had to run the front seats up so far I wouldn't be able to get into the car. My SO was able to squeeze in and drive it down the hill, but she wouldn't have been comfortable driving more than a short distance. A regular twin would have fit much easier.

• Like x 1
  5. HookBill

HookBill Member

If you really want to see how much stuff will actually fit in the back of one of these watch some of Bjorn Nyland's Nimber trip videos. I don't think my F150 can carry that much stuff.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I fit 80, yes, 80, giant 3'x3'x1.5' floor pillows in mine for a project I did for a non profit. I couldn't believe it. It was probably the safest drive I ever had with all that padding. All the outside world could see was my face!

7. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

I stuck two 65" TVs in my trunk yesterday.

The guys at Best Buy that helped me load them said there was no chance any sedan could fit one, much less two, tvs that size in the trunk.

I reminded them that the Tesla isn't just any sedan...

• Like x 7
  8. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Wow, that must have been an impressive sight.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

The funniest thing is when I opened the rear hatch and they all almost exploded out of the car as they expanded. It was hilarious. Pillows everywhere.

• Funny x 6
  10. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Excellent. I am not tall and I have access to a regular twin not a long style twin mattress.

This might legit be the most helpful thread on the forums :D

• Funny x 1
  11. JPP

JPP Active Member

Last December I went to Costco to buy a new 65" flatscreen TV. I got help wheeling it out on the pallet cart to my car by the Costco staff member. As we approached my S, he stopped short and insisted that the TV would not fit inside. He prepared to turn back to the store. I told him to wait, opened the liftgate, folded down the seats, and the TV in original packaging slid into place perfectly. Amazed Costco employee walked back with the rolling pallet. I then loaded up the obligatory packages of paper towels and toilet paper, etc on top of the TV, and drove home.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  12. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

Glad I could inspire you.

What surprises me a bit is how unimpressed the Goodwill people are. My SO said they didn't comment on how we got a big bed in the back and another time I took a rather large folding table down there and they didn't blink.

13. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

I wouldn't call Goodwill a charity. It's a multi-billion dollar, high profit margin, retail business.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  14. javawolfpack

javawolfpack Member

I came from a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, it has about the same internal storage space; however, the Model S is wider so it's actually easier to toss my girlfriend's bike in the back. I find this surprising every time how much easier it is... has me considering not getting the roof rack. Doubtful I can get two bikes in the back... that would be the key factor.

15. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

We load TWO Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er mountain bikes in the back of our Model S with the wheels on. Trick is to put the front tire in a partially zipped 29er size bicycle wheel bag... then thread the handlebars in front of the rear wheel wells by holding bike frame up and outboard while twisting the handlebars / wheel.

Even our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't have as much usable space as our Model S. :cool:

• Like x 1
  16. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

One of my hobbies/gigs is playing drums for a local metal band. Many surprised faces when the drummer rolls in with a Tesla. Many more when the whole drum kit comes out of the trunk (with room to spare!).

• Like x 2
  17. taldric

taldric Member

We need pictures of that!

• Like x 1
  18. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

I know there have been controversies, but they still have 501 (c)(3) status and they take most of the unwanted household stuff we get rid of. I can write my donations off my taxes as a charitable donation, so financially they are a charity.

The collection station is also conveniently located in the nearest shopping center to home.

19. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

On our 3 week cross-country trek last year we packed both our bikes in the back, seats down, wheels on. Our trick was to remove the floor panel by the bumper and put the front wheels partially in the space. Most our luggage was in the frunk though we did have room in the back if needed. Yes, you can fit two with a little practice and forethought.

• Helpful x 2
  20. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Just dropped off 2 baby walkers and about 8 bags of clothes and toys at a local charity.

Opened the frunk and the guy just looked at me in complete shock and said "ooooohhhh I like that!"

It was pretty great.

• Like x 1