Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's August! So.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a somewhat related question, ok, questions:
  • I’m assuming that the upcoming on ramp to off ramp capability will be entirely lost on those of us who have not paid for FSD, correct?
  • If I’m so inclined, how do I add FSD to my Model 3 now that I’ve taken delivery? Last time I checked there’s no way to order it from my Tesla page.

• I’m assuming that the upcoming on ramp to off ramp capability will be entirely lost on those of us who have not paid for FSD, correct?
  • If I’m so inclined, how do I add FSD to my Model 3 now that I’ve taken delivery? Last time I checked there’s no way to order it from my Tesla page.

I'm expecting on ramp to off ramp to be part of eAP, and pieces might be added to AP1 cars (picking the right side of a lane split needed in a Nav.)

The spotlight/sign detection is likely to be FSD only.

Tesla time and Elon time are two very different concepts that are both important.

Tesla time is what happens when you open a Falcon Wing in a busy parking lot or show up at a party or friend's house with your new ride - fifteen or twenty minutes of explaining how far the car will go, how you find charging stations, and the true meaning of instant torque to folks who barely know the name Tesla.

Elon time is a wacky universe where the CEO deliberately makes public announcements of releases with a shorter schedule than any of his employees think is possible to motivate them to achieve great things.

Steve Jobs also did the same thing, worked for him.

Tesla time and Elon time are two very different concepts that are both important.

Tesla time is what happens when you open a Falcon Wing in a busy parking lot or show up at a party or friend's house with your new ride - fifteen or twenty minutes of explaining how far the car will go, how you find charging stations, and the true meaning of instant torque to folks who barely know the name Tesla.

Elon time is a wacky universe where the CEO deliberately makes public announcements of releases with a shorter schedule than any of his employees think is possible to motivate them to achieve great things.

OH! The explaining was kinda fun at first, it was novel. But I swear if I have to give another explanation about charging or listen to why tesla is going broke and can't deliver the M3's, I'm going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.I don't run into people and tell them how bad there F150 sucks! I love talking Tesla with other owners, but non believers, don't gang up on me.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and SpudLime
Tesla continues to be aggressive introducing new hardware and software updates - with a "quick-time-to-market" strategy.

One downside of this strategy - the schedules are usually so aggressive that delays are inevitable, especially when their internal testing and testing by Tesla's hand picked beta testers fail to detect major bugs.

And even after they believe the software is ready for distribution, often major bugs or design flaws make it into the official release - often resulting in a start-stop release process with periodic pauses and restarts when Tesla finds and then fixes obvious problems.

This often means that it can take several months after a release is first distributed before most cars have seen the update.

Musk had promised to add the capability for owners to request software updates to be sent to their cars, rather than wait for Tesla's seemingly random distribution process to pick your car. But we haven't seen that update yet - maybe it'll be part of the Version 9 release.

Since we don't know the extent of the changes in Version 9 yet - we don't know how major this release will be. It's been almost 2 years since Tesla distributed their last major release - so this one could be relatively big - and because of that, distribution could be stretched out even further.

Tesla really should consider opening up their beta program, and getting more owners to participate in testing - especially since the number of configurations has grown so large (S/3/X, battery pack sizes, RWD/dual motor, performance/non-performance, right/left driving, language customizations, …). Getting more people to test the software would likely catch problems sooner - and once the software is officially released, that should reduce the number of problems deployed to the rest of the owner community.

Even though Musk originally indicated Version 9 would be coming in August, based on Tesla's past releases, would not be surprised for this to stretch out to October or later before more cars have the update.

Reactions: AdamHLG

1) According to tesla.com, it’s part of EAP. Interestingly, the description of EAP is different on the Model 3 order page. But for the X and S at least, it’s clear that on ramp to off ramp is part of EAP. Can’t imagine why it would be different. Screenshot below.

2) Login to My Tesla and After you click Manage next to your M3, scroll all the way down. That is where the additional options can be added.

EEA3B8CF-7CE5-409D-A4CB-2B93164A0F9D.jpeg

1) According to tesla.com, it’s part of EAP. Interestingly, the description of EAP is different on the Model 3 order page. But for the X and S at least, it’s clear that on ramp to off ramp is part of EAP. Can’t imagine why it would be different. Screenshot below.

2) Login to My Tesla and After you click Manage next to your M3, scroll all the way down. That is where the additional options can be added.

View attachment 322609

Thanks for the insights. I found the order location. I need to decide if I want to pay for FSD yet. I also need to figure out if I can get them to honor the $4k upgrade price that was quoted when I bought the car and not the $5k price that the order page is showing.

Thanks for the insights. I found the order location. I need to decide if I want to pay for FSD yet. I also need to figure out if I can get them to honor the $4k upgrade price that was quoted when I bought the car and not the $5k price that the order page is showing.

I got your answer my friend: I ordered FSD 2 weeks ago after contacting Tesla elevated support to ask this very question. I was told that Tesla will honor the $4K price for existing owners like us, however, they do not know when the system would be fixed to reflect the new price. HOWEVER, I was was told Tesla would charge my credit card $5,000 (plus the tax) and within 2 weeks I would automatically receive a $1,000 refund to my credit card (plus the credit for refunded pro-rata tax). So I ordered it. And be still my heart..... 10 days later I received the $1,000 (and pro rata tax) credit just like I was told. I was candidly surprised - - I was ready to dispute it with the CC if I would have had an issue - but it unfolded exactly as I was told.

NOTE: This was for my Model X purchased last Thanksgiving. If there is any doubt, send that email from your Tesla account to "elevated support" or whatever its called and ask the question and get it documented just in case.

I got your answer my friend: I ordered FSD 2 weeks ago after contacting Tesla elevated support to ask this very question. I was told that Tesla will honor the $4K price for existing owners like us, however, they do not know when the system would be fixed to reflect the new price. HOWEVER, I was was told Tesla would charge my credit card $5,000 (plus the tax) and within 2 weeks I would automatically receive a $1,000 refund to my credit card (plus the credit for refunded pro-rata tax). So I ordered it. And be still my heart..... 10 days later I received the $1,000 (and pro rata tax) credit just like I was told. I was candidly surprised - - I was ready to dispute it with the CC if I would have had an issue - but it unfolded exactly as I was told.

NOTE: This was for my Model X purchased last Thanksgiving. If there is any doubt, send that email from your Tesla account to "elevated support" or whatever its called and ask the question and get it documented just in case.

Awesome. Thanks!

On the earnings call today Elon said something to the effect that 9.0 would go out to a limited group ( I forgot what he called it but it sounded like a beta tester group) in four weeks and then September to others.
Perhaps I can find exactly what he called a group in a transcript of the earnings call if I can find it.
Finally found the transcript...
Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript

V9 release quote....
Elon Musk -- Chairman, Product Architect, and CEO
Yeah, that said, we might be able to pull off coast- to-coast demo before the end of the year if we ... but really like right now if the Subaru [Inaudible] focused on the version 9 software release, which has got a number of really cool things in it. And we're hoping to get that out to early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. That's the hardcore focus right now, and that will certainly include some significant advancements in autonomy. And then once that's out and stable, I think that could be a good time to work on the coast-to-coast drive.

Finally found the transcript...
Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript

V9 release quote....
Elon Musk -- Chairman, Product Architect, and CEO
Yeah, that said, we might be able to pull off coast- to-coast demo before the end of the year if we ... but really like right now if the Subaru [Inaudible] focused on the version 9 software release, which has got a number of really cool things in it. And we're hoping to get that out to early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. That's the hardcore focus right now, and that will certainly include some significant advancements in autonomy. And then once that's out and stable, I think that could be a good time to work on the coast-to-coast drive.
Just noticed it says Subaru [Inaudible]:)

OH! The explaining was kinda fun at first, it was novel. But I swear if I have to give another explanation about charging or listen to why tesla is going broke and can't deliver the M3's, I'm going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.I don't run into people and tell them how bad there F150 sucks! I love talking Tesla with other owners, but non believers, don't gang up on me.

Interesting, in 2.5 years of Tesla ownership, I've never met a non-believer... everyone that talks to me about my car seems super psyched about Tesla. Just lucky I guess.

I'm going to stick with my prognostication for v9.1 between October and December. The *.1 is important. Generally, the *.0.* release is rushed to meet a date. Then the *.1 and/or *.2 releases fix both what didn't work in *.0 and what *.0 broke.

It was ever thus with (not just) Tesla releases in a rapid release cycle world. For those who remember what a floppy disk was, think Netscape versus Lotus Notes release schedules.

Don't forget that we may also get an October surprise this year (note 2014 and 2016). Who knows.

Reactions: kavyboy
I'm going to stick with my prognostication for v9.1 between October and December. The *.1 is important. Generally, the *.0.* release is rushed to meet a date. Then the *.1 and/or *.2 releases fix both what didn't work in *.0 and what *.0 broke.

It was ever thus with (not just) Tesla releases in a rapid release cycle world. For those who remember what a floppy disk was, think Netscape versus Lotus Notes release schedules.

Don't forget that we may also get an October surprise this year (note 2014 and 2016). Who knows.
“between October and December“...2018?
Why not skip 9 altogether & go straight to “X” like the iPhone?:)

Last edited:
“between October and December“...2018?
Why not skip 9 altogether & go straight to “X” like the iPhone?:)

Nah. If we did it the Apple way, we'd get release notes with every release and I wouldn't know how to act :).

Sure, Oct-Dec 2018. Never minding the 6-week fleet-wide deployment reality.

It's a little troubling that v9 isn't with the beta testers yet, as a couple of weeks does not seem like enough time to even do the regression testing. Then again, for all we know, v9 will be a UI change and a couple of features at first and that's it.

In fairness, if they get the release to the beta testers by, say, the end of next week and give them 4 weeks to test, (with fixes happening iteratively along the way), they really could get a significant release out to the GUM* by the end of September.

I doubt they get 4 weeks to test, as nice as that would be. Also, for all we know, they've tripled the beta testing contingent and may try to compress time that way.

In the end, I view this release as another step along a protracted journey. They could call it 8.5 and it would mean the same thing to me.

Let's save v.X for stop sign reaction. Now *that* would be a worthy release right there. First mentioned in 2014 as possible during the AP1 event *polite cough*.

* GUM = Great Unwashed Masses - i.e., the rest of us.