Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's going to take the village to save our future;

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This makes me ponder a more general pricing issue, that seems to rear its head in many threads in the Energy, Environment and Policy section.

Simply put, we have to put a price on carbon, be it through taxes, certificates or other means. Emission of carbon dioxide is an externality that's not being priced properly, if at all, by most current systems. This is called "Market failure" and most economic theories call for regulations here... and most big companies who would lose money disagree with that, and we all know where that usually goes...
We did something like that in the EU, and it failed massively, the price for a ton of CO² is completely at the bottom. A bunch of reasons for that, among them the fact that the potential to reduce emissions was vastly underestimated.
ERE6_2013_S15_G1.jpg

The comment in the image reads that the value of CO2 certificates was close to 0 because they could not be carried over into the next phase.

That extremely steep drop in the middle of the first phase was, if I remember well, because some knobhead in the regulation office said "Well, there is way too many certificates currently anyway, haha" during an interview as an aside.

Another thing that was outrageous about how the EU handled this: They gave certificates away via grandfathering. e.g. "You emitted 1000 tons of CO2 last year, so this year you'll get certificates for 1000 tons. But it will be less next year." Not only did this create all sorts of conflicts of interest, but the companies, shockingly, priced the certificates into their products. Means they raised the prices as if they had paid for those certificates when they hadn't.

My take is that it's extremely important to put a price on carbon, and certificates are a great way of doing so if done right.

Reactions: SageBrush
Finalizing the details on my next project... looking like a ~9kW system for $8k.... this will be my first install <$1/w :love:

That's post ITC but still....

It's utterly ridiculous that you're out handling installs for friends and neighbors at less than $2/W(subsidy-free) while the mainstream retail in Pennsylvania is something closer to DOUBLE that. I'd give up all subsidy today(renewable and fossil) if we could just have a nationwide PLAN that was somewhat LOGICAL.

I don't know where you get the energy considering most of these people likely don't appreciate the deal you're getting them or the economic impact you're having on their children's future. Good work!

It's utterly ridiculous that you're out handling installs for friends and neighbors at less than $2/W(subsidy-free) while the mainstream retail in Pennsylvania is something closer to DOUBLE that. I'd give up all subsidy today(renewable and fossil) if we could just have a nationwide PLAN that was somewhat LOGICAL.

I don't know where you get the energy considering most of these people likely don't appreciate the deal you're getting them or the economic impact you're having on their children's future. Good work!

Honestly.... I think most of my energy comes from anger and frustration... my installs are an outlet...

This quote kinda sums it up....

B-FnX3fCEAAuTrp.jpg

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Reactions: CatB
They all start the same way... and this part always sucks the most... This is the steepest roof I've ever worked on >30 degrees. Not fun; even the drills were trying to slide off. This will be a 9.1kW array once it's done.

IMG_0008.jpg

The 'sounding' method isn't working as well (not sure why) as it usually does so the homeowner is going to mark off the rest of the rafters using an IR camera.

FLIR0161.jpg

This trick only works early in the morning when the roof is heated more from the attic than the sun.

What's up with the supply of silicon for solar? I can remember year and years ago when Germany was first ramping up global demand there was major concern around the supply. Now it's never even mentioned. What's up with that?

If I recall correctly there was a shortage in ~2008. Solyndra aligned itself to benefit from this since it didn't require silicon for its panels. But China over built and this lead to a price crash. Material supply really hasn't been much of an issue since. Silicon is actually the second most abundant element in Earths crust.

If I recall correctly there was a shortage in ~2008. Solyndra aligned itself to benefit from this since it didn't require silicon for its panels. But China over built and this lead to a price crash. Material supply really hasn't been much of an issue since. Silicon is actually the second most abundant element in Earths crust.

That's the part that confused me when I looked at it in 2008. If it's so abundant, what's the problem? I think the reason I looked into it was some guy said FSLR would take over the world with thin film once global silicon supply was constrained. So much for that I guess.

We would have finished the feet today but a box of flashing appears to be MIA... kinda weird and frustrating 'cause we still have all the hardware (it comes as a kit)... hope it turns up...

My new toy... the Bosch D-Tect 150 worked well (not sure I would pay full price; found one used for $300)... out of ~20 feet we only missed 1 rafter... but you do still have to sound with a mallet since the scanner does give A LOT of false positives on nails. The technique that worked best was to scan 3 times on different shingle layers and sound with a mallet. Especially happy to have another tool to find rafters since who ever built this house decided to get creative with rafter spacing....

IMG_0010.jpg