Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's happening....FSD v9 to be released (to current beta testers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I both agree and disagree. Cool that the car maneuvered around the open door car but the fact that the car crossed a double line to do it would warrant a ticket if observed. It appears there was far more than enough time to stop based on what I see. It’s situations like this that make it obvious to me that we are nowhere near full autonomous driving because AI is so far from achieving basic human reasoning without being provided a ton of samples to model for an innumerable set of situations.
Here's an article on this basic topic, though considering bicycles (far easier to search for than open doors of parked cars). Quoting a relevant section:

...Crossing the centerline (whether it’s marked as a double yellow or not) is a common and generally accepted practice. The likelihood of getting a traffic ticket after executing a safe pass is almost zero. ...

The Double Yellow Line: What Is A Motorist To Do?

Here's an article on this basic topic, though considering bicycles (far easier to search for than open doors of parked cars). Quoting a relevant section:

...Crossing the centerline (whether it’s marked as a double yellow or not) is a common and generally accepted practice. The likelihood of getting a traffic ticket after executing a safe pass is almost zero. ...

The Double Yellow Line: What Is A Motorist To Do?

Of course, it's fine as long as the driver's skin is not black or brown: "....two-to-one increased likelihood of being pulled over if you are nonwhite."

"He studied the manual and he studied the law and he found that there were so many technical violations of either the vehicle code, such as tinted windows or a crack on the brake light, or the traffic code, such as touching the yellow line, that you can be pulled over for

Of course, it's fine as long as the driver's skin is not black or brown: "....two-to-one increased likelihood of being pulled over if you are nonwhite."

"He studied the manual and he studied the law and he found that there were so many technical violations of either the vehicle code, such as tinted windows or a crack on the brake light, or the traffic code, such as touching the yellow line, that you can be pulled over for

I don't find such a reference in the article I quoted; to be clear I only linked it because I found the pertinent text.

I understand that today absolutely everything is racially-sensitive, social-justice-sensitive, politically-sensitive or some other sensitive to some people who long to be highly sensitive. Even given that, I honestly do not follow the sequitur from a road-marker vs. safety question to a highly charged socio-political point.

If you are observing that there are so many laws, regarding traffic as well as every other aspect of our society, that anyone can find a charge to bring when such is desired in any situation, then I'd have to agree with you - but far more broadly than traffic-stop politics.

Otherwise, let's please keep the discussion of color to Pearl White, Solid Black, Midnight Silver, Deep Blue and Red Multi-Coat. And the discussion of race to the technical aspects of Tesla acceleration and handling on a track.

...let's please keep the discussion of color to Pearl White, Solid Black, Midnight Silver, Deep Blue and Red Multi-Coat. And the discussion of race to the technical aspects of Tesla acceleration and handling on a track..
This thread seems to claim it’s not a legal big deal in “Crossing the centerline”.

True, not if you are white but it can be a deadly traffic pullover by the police if a driver is nonwhite.

The article explains how to practice a pullover by “appearance” which is thrown out by a court and make it into by “touching the yellow line” traffic code violation and then claims that action has nothing to do with racial profiling:

…The first sheriff to do this was in Florida. He kept getting his cases thrown out because judges all said he had no probable cause because he was literally just pulling people over because of appearances. That sheriff then went to the vehicle and highway codes and found that Florida highway laws gave him 500 reasons to pull someone over. He studied the manual and he studied the law and he found that there were so many technical violations of either the vehicle code, such as tinted windows or a crack on the brake light, or the traffic code, such as touching the yellow line, that you can be pulled over for…

The magic of this system is that white middle-class people were unaware that the police were using visual cues towards young men of color and treating them in such a different manner. If you’re black or brown, you’re a suspect citizen right from the beginning.

It’s the same way that Giuliani explained how to practice “Muslim ban” by not mentioning the word “Muslim” but by mentioning “national security”.

…fears about the influence of racial profiling and police bias on these common, day-to-day policing practices have grown…

In the implementation of an Autonomous System with a simple bug like flashing/flickering of the Auto High Beam or crossing a yellow line might result in a benign pullover but the system should also take into account that a trigger for a benign pullover for non-whites could end up deadly for them.

@Tam , I hear you. Your concerns need their own dedicated thread. You keep trying to steer the discussion into something tangential to the topic. There is no sense burying your POV deep in someone's thread dedicated to a different discussion.

...Reliable and safe functionalities should be released to all.
Well I think that's exactly the issue, wouldn't you agree? Reliable and safe.

There are much-discussed examples that appeared within a day of the v9 Beta release, that certainly look like there would be an accident without driver intervention or, if it went on a half-second longer, without skilled reaction by the other-car unsuspecting driver.

I want this program to succeed but I'm always kind of holding my breath. The worst thing that could happen is a general release that's premature. So many users, not well-vetted, incurring these risky and not-ready-for-prime-time behaviors, that multiple accident videos appear worldwide - and if that's not bad enough they'll be inevitably exaggerated to boot. It'll be a meme, Tesla cars creating havoc everywhere.

The harm to Tesla and our FSD hopes stemming from this would set back the program much more than the additional delay of getting the software ready for wide release.

TSLAQ and their trolls are hoping for a premature city autosteer release.

Well I think that's exactly the issue, wouldn't you agree? Reliable and safe.

There are much-discussed examples that appeared within a day of the v9 Beta release, that certainly look like there would be an accident without driver intervention or, if it went on a half-second longer, without skilled reaction by the other-car unsuspecting driver.

I want this program to succeed but I'm always kind of holding my breath. The worst thing that could happen is a general release that's premature. So many users, not well-vetted, incurring these risky and not-ready-for-prime-time behaviors, that multiple accident videos appear worldwide - and if that's not bad enough they'll be inevitably exaggerated to boot. It'll be a meme, Tesla cars creating havoc everywhere.

The harm to Tesla and our FSD hopes stemming from this would set back the program much more than the additional delay of getting the software ready for wide release.

After 16:10 a scary moment

If the UI on the center screen is what "Tesla Vision" / Dojo / whatever is "seeing," it's doing a very poor job of picking up inanimate objects. It's not just those columns, I saw someone going through Chicago and it just wasn't picking up objects in a construction zone that weren't a truck or car. I don't know if the UI is exactly what it's going off of, but if it is, Tesla Vision (or vision only) doesn't seem all that great.

If the UI on the center screen is what "Tesla Vision" / Dojo / whatever is "seeing," it's doing a very poor job of picking up inanimate objects. It's not just those columns, I saw someone going through Chicago and it just wasn't picking up objects in a construction zone that weren't a truck or car. I don't know if the UI is exactly what it's going off of, but if it is, Tesla Vision (or vision only) doesn't seem all that great.

Attachments

• 5E6565CE-3552-4B8B-8826-1E0580012F26.jpeg
    5E6565CE-3552-4B8B-8826-1E0580012F26.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 46
  • Love
Reactions: Microterf