Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's January 31st, I win the 1000 bet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear @calisnow,

It's now January 31st, 2018, and we still don't have any new meaningful features for AP. Please honor your bet as I would have and donate $1k to St. Judes Children Research in my name. I've PM'd you my details. Good luck on your 10k bet.

@TaoJones Hopefully, he paid up your bet as well. I don't know if anyone took him up on his 10k bet, or if he just bet against himself.

He did not pay up or post proof thereof. He owes Casa de los Ninos in Tucson, a shelter for at-risk women and children in the community, the sum of USD$100.

As I noted in my otherwise well-received previous post since, we should have known, given that *by his own admission* he didn't pay up previous wagers and felt justified because "the winners never followed up with him". Yeah, well, consider this a follow up.

So no word from @calisnow ?

I'm sure his new persona will chime in eventually, but the old one, in 20 days*, is about to have $11,120 reasons never to return (those are all the bets for charity he accepted - that I know about, at least).

The kids at st. Jude’s are still waiting for his 1k donation :(

Yep :(. Thanks to BigD0g and to everyone else who chose to be on the right side of this merriment.

* So the original bet for charity was all about (E)AP2 features and yes, you're right, wipers were specifically excluded. Per the latest from Elon and Elektrek, the best *addition* for which we can hope from the upcoming "major software release" will be a feature carried over from AP1 - the appearance of adjacent vehicle icons in the IC view. Everything else will be improvements *to existing functionality* - these improvements, by all accounts so far, are quite good - so at least there's that.

Wait, I'm new. What am I missing?

I thought AP2 is pretty much at parity with AP1 with the execption of not being able to read speed signs just yet and no rain sensing wipers at night.

Hehe. Yeah, it's pretty much not.

But don't take my word for it, although I'm one of the relative few who've owned and extensively driven both AP1 and AP2 cars for the past 3+ years. Here's how you can tell for yourself:

1. Easy way, depending upon your location: Go to a CPO Hub, and ask to test drive an AP1 car. Then, presuming you own an AP2 car, after the test drive, drive the same route with your AP2 car. Hopefully you'll have a combination of surface streets, different speed limits, highway driving, and elevations/rises/troughs, along with at least a little bit of traffic.

2. Choose to join an owners club or two. Over time, there are all sorts of opportunities to drive or at least to drive with the cars of other members - for example, to hear the difference between audio packages. Same thing with AP versus non-AP, and AP1 versus AP2 versus AP2.5 and so forth. The latest being A/B drives between Model S and Model 3.

AP2 will do fine in vanilla scenarios, such as when following a vehicle at 65mph on the freeway for a couple of miles. But you'll start to see differences during every day non-vanilla scenarios. Low rises being one. Adjacent parked cars being another. Phantom braking events for no particular reason being a third.

The best objective description I've heard most often is that AP1 is more confident in more scenarios, while AP2 is more nervous, or if you prefer, peripatetic. To be clear, there are *plenty* of scenarios in which neither AP1 nor AP2 are sufficient, which is fair at this point. I look for AP2 (well, AP4 probably by that point) to shine once the new board/SoC is ready and all/more of the cameras are employed.

There is a single scenario in which AP2 shines head and shoulders above AP1 *now*, but it's a bit hard to reproduce. When it's raining and/or snowing so hard you can't see the road, but not hard enough to disable the sensors/radar, AP2 held the road (which is to say maintained position in a poorly-marked and barely visible lane) like a bionic-eyed mountain goat. By luck, I had driven one stretch under these circumstances with both cars, and the difference was striking.

So worry not - change is coming. But for now and for the next couple of years, you wont miss much with a CPO AP1 car while the rest of EAP/FSD sorts itself out. Maybe a feature here or there. For me, the threshold is stop sign *reaction* as opposed to recognition.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman and kavyboy
There is a single scenario in which AP2 shines head and shoulders above AP1 *now*, but it's a bit hard to reproduce. When it's raining and/or snowing so hard you can't see the road, but not hard enough to disable the sensors/radar, AP2 held the road (which is to say maintained position in a poorly-marked and barely visible lane) like a bionic-eyed mountain goat. By luck, I had driven one stretch under these circumstances with both cars, and the difference was striking.
Interestingly AP1 used to be able to drive over snowy roads with all lane markings covered. It used to work in a rain too, but when I tried it recently on AP1 I was no longer able to engage AP1, but still could see "grayed out" lanes on the instrument cluster display from time to time. I get they probably disabled AP1 in heavy rain for safety, just saying it used to be able to do more (even if it wasn't as safe, but then again all Level 2 self driving is pretty much unsafe by definition).

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones