Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's just taking too long...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one really pisses me off. They were happy to take orders for this option 18 months ago when I ordered my car. Even happier to take payment for it when it was delivered knowing full well that they were not available at the time. Now it is 4 months later with the latest ETA being "some time in the 1st quarter of 2016" after months of "we are expecting them any day". This isn't a no cost feature that has been promised or a possible extra cost upgrade you may choose to get when available. This has been paid for and not delivered. Plain and simply not good enough!

I ordered dual chargers for my car. Car is due to be delivered late Feb. A single phase wall charger has just been sent to me, Adam at Tesla in Sydney said it was not worth waiting for the 3 phase unit, he has no clear idea when they will be available. As I have dual chargers though he said they will swap it over for no cost when they do turn up.

When I asked Nathan at the Richmond centre about the arrival of Spotify he said: Aren't we great at keeping up the anticipation?
And I have to agree: thinking back to the three months of waiting for my Model S from order to delivery - the anticipation was really quite enjoyable! And so is discovering new channels on TuneIn in the meantime...

I tend to get a whole bunch of songs and play lists lined up for long distance travel (which you can do now via your phone with Spotify, Apple Music etc.) and only do the voice activated song/artist etc. when getting around town depending on my mood.....

-ECIT

I ordered dual chargers for my car. Car is due to be delivered late Feb. A single phase wall charger has just been sent to me, Adam at Tesla in Sydney said it was not worth waiting for the 3 phase unit, he has no clear idea when they will be available. As I have dual chargers though he said they will swap it over for no cost when they do turn up.

My HPWC is wired for 3 phase in anticipation of the 3 phase unit with only 1 phase connected at present. This should allow an easy swap if/when a 3 phase HPWC finally arrives.

My HPWC is wired for 3 phase in anticipation of the 3 phase unit with only 1 phase connected at present. This should allow an easy swap if/when a 3 phase HPWC finally arrives.

Yep, that's what I'm doing too. My biggest issue has been battling Energex, as I wanted to have the HPWC on my night rate tariff, and charge during the day off the UMC to take advantage of excess solar. Problem is my night rate only has a single phase meter on it and under their new rates they want to charge me $1,145 to come and swap it over for a 3 phase meter. GGrrr!!!

Yep, that's what I'm doing too. My biggest issue has been battling Energex, as I wanted to have the HPWC on my night rate tariff, and charge during the day off the UMC to take advantage of excess solar. Problem is my night rate only has a single phase meter on it and under their new rates they want to charge me $1,145 to come and swap it over for a 3 phase meter. GGrrr!!!
Colina, you won't have any trouble achieving a full charge overnight on a single phase meter (max 50kmh). Why do you need a 3 phase connector at home if you are only doing bulk charging whilst sleeping?

Colina, you won't have any trouble achieving a full charge overnight on a single phase meter (max 50kmh). Why do you need a 3 phase connector at home if you are only doing bulk charging whilst sleeping?

I agree, and for now at least I'm going to stick with the single phase charger at home. I primarily got the dual charger not for faster charging at home but to allow 3 phase 32A (22Kw) charging while away. All having the 3 phase HPWC at home will do is allow to me to get a quicker change on the unusual occasions when I might need it.

I agree, and for now at least I'm going to stick with the single phase charger at home. I primarily got the dual charger not for faster charging at home but to allow 3 phase 32A (22Kw) charging while away. All having the 3 phase HPWC at home will do is allow to me to get a quicker change on the unusual occasions when I might need it.

Dual chargers I get. When you travel and using non-superchargers they may be usefull.
Interesting to hear if anyone ever gets caught short at home with the single phase hpwc?

I charge my car using my home solar/battery storage system rather than power from the grid. My work schedule allows me to do this in the mornings. The 3 phase charger would allow faster charging times which would be great.
I have yet to use the Supercharger network as I really haven't had the need at this point.

I charge my car using my home solar/battery storage system rather than power from the grid. My work schedule allows me to do this in the mornings. The 3 phase charger would allow faster charging times which would be great.
I have yet to use the Supercharger network as I really haven't had the need at this point.

The only problem with this is if you charged at 3 phase 400V 32A during the day, unless you had a massive solar system you will draw a lot more than the solar is producing. That is why I intend to charge at lower current, probably with the UMC, during the day, and top up with the HPWC at night (at the cheapest rate grid power) only if needed, which will probably be often, but at least I am minimising the use of grid power, and getting it at the cheapest rate when I do need to use it.

The only problem with this is if you charged at 3 phase 400V 32A during the day, unless you had a massive solar system you will draw a lot more than the solar is producing. That is why I intend to charge at lower current, probably with the UMC, during the day, and top up with the HPWC at night (at the cheapest rate grid power) only if needed, which will probably be often, but at least I am minimising the use of grid power, and getting it at the cheapest rate when I do need to use it.

Not really, when you exceed the kw being produced by the solar at the time, the system draws from the power stored in the systems batteries.
At this time of year I haven't had a time where the system hasn't been able to cover the power required without drawing from the grid. As you point out, it will draw more power using 3 phase; but my sparky reckons the system will probably cover it at this time of year. Might require a bit of experimentation at other times of year, we shall see I guess.

I charge every day and am therefore only covering the previous days usage which is rarely more than 150km. If I charged from dead empty the home solar/battery system wouldn't cover it. However I do have an even larger system at work and I plan to install a charger there as well.

Not really, when you exceed the kw being produced by the solar at the time, the system draws from the power stored in the systems batteries.
At this time of year I haven't had a time where the system hasn't been able to cover the power required without drawing from the grid. As you point out, it will draw more power using 3 phase; but my sparky reckons the system will probably cover it at this time of year. Might require a bit of experimentation at other times of year, we shall see I guess.

I charge every day and am therefore only covering the previous days usage which is rarely more than 150km. If I charged from dead empty the home solar/battery system wouldn't cover it. However I do have an even larger system at work and I plan to install a charger there as well.

ah, if you have batteries that changes the equation. Alas I don't.... I'm waiting for a Powerwall. A lot will depend on what I find my usage pattern to be. Not having the car yet I can only guess. Your experience is interesting to hear.

ah, if you have batteries that changes the equation. Alas I don't.... I'm waiting for a Powerwall. A lot will depend on what I find my usage pattern to be. Not having the car yet I can only guess. Your experience is interesting to hear.

In SA we have different levels of solar rebates. Essentially I'm on the mid level, so any power I put into the grid they pay me 25c. Any power I use I pay 31c. I dont get peak or off peak.
this means I can charge anytime, and use the grid as storage effectively for 6c/kwh. That makes batteries a very poor economic proposition for my circumstance - Im effectively renting battery space on the grid with full usage flexibility.
the top tier early adopters are being paid over 50c/kwh for their solar.

- - - Updated - - -

Enphase. Off grid energy installed my system. They were honest and told me no battery at that time because of the excellent fit I get. The end of this year, however will be a different deal.
Enphase make a very good micro invertor that can be applied to each solar panel creating an expandable 240volt network with full internet data available on each panel. My enphase invertors are on tindo panels that are made in SA, about 10km from my place.
The other advantage is any electrician can install as its 240v.