Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Nice When You Exceed the Rated Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed limit is 70 here and I set it to 80 depending on where I am.
Back when I had an ICE I would never drive slower than 80 if I could help it but EAP has made me a lot more patient.

The thing about California is that there is so much traffic, you can't even really speed so ultimately you will be going much slower than the speed limit and you will get great efficiency.

Back when I had an ICE I would never drive slower than 80 if I could help it but EAP has made me a lot more patient.

The thing about California is that there is so much traffic, you can't even really speed so ultimately you will be going much slower than the speed limit and you will get great efficiency.
I'm pretty patient with EAP at 80 :) However, if I try to pass I have to remember to turn off EAP because autopilot jail is just 10 mph away.

OK ... for all of us no-owners. What is "autopilot jail?"
You'll get a warning that autosteer will be unavailable until you put it into park then drive again.

Like this:
BroghNd.png

Reactions: Stirfelt
Serious question - is there more of an impact to range due to 70+mph speeds or jackrabbit starts and high acceleration? I suspect the acceleration is more of an impact and understand that how long you are at speed and how many fast starts you do will also influence the range.

Serious question - is there more of an impact to range due to 70+mph speeds or jackrabbit starts and high acceleration? I suspect the acceleration is more of an impact and understand that how long you are at speed and how many fast starts you do will also influence the range.
That will depending on how long your trip is.

From my experience speed and elevation has a huge impact on range. Mountain climbing is not your friend if you want efficiency.

Back in the spring, someone posted some graphs that indicated max efficiency for 3LR is ~30mph.
I have found that to be real, given that when stuck in bad rush hour traffic where speeds are 0-20 and frequently 0, the 3LR can't achieve 250wh/mi.
It's also interesting because the LEAF max efficiency is around 12mph.
"Overhead" of 3LR is much higher than LEAF, in this respect.