TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

It's Not a Station Wagon

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by vfx, Dec 9, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

BMW were the same 20 years ago with their "touring" models. Audi then came along with their "sportback".

I can remember reading a review of the 325i touring at the time saying "don't call it an estate!"

3. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Sheesh. Any car guy knows that if ya gotta have the storage and people and dog carrying capacity, a station wagon is better than any sport ute / crossover / minivan any day (for safety, mileage, driveability). All these crossovers get ruined by trying too hard to not look like a station wagon.

IMO, the Ford Flex nails the look, though it's 15% too big. The Outback used to have respectable estate car styling until they over-swooped it to look less like a wagon. The Volvo XC-70 is nice in it's honesty. The BMW 5-series wagon is pretty good looking. That Toyota is, well, ugly. Like most crossovers are.

4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

But Toyota is selling station wagons.... in Norway anyone wanting a family car either buys a compact or a .... you guessed it.... a station wagon!

Take a look at this link, the new Toyota Avensis station wagon.

Cobos

5. graham

graham Active Member

Does anyone know why they are called Station Wagons? Seems a strange term for some reason to me.

Or Estate Car in the British also seems odd, but less odd - why that term too?

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is what Wikipedia had to say:
    Station wagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia