Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bellevue. They've been wonderful. What's the issue you're having?

I had an appointment last week, they confirmed they were ready, then I showed up and they didn’t have the MCU2 part (they do have the HW3 computer). Very frustrating.

I’ve got it booked for next Tuesday and, as of yesterday afternoon, were still saying they didn’t have the MCU2 part. Also frustrating because I can see people having the install done and I feel I’m getting the short end of the stick. It shouldn’t be this hard to give a company $2500, especially since I already took a half day and made the drive down there once.

Edit: Worth pointing out I agree with MiddKid and said so in my earlier post - they are normally wonderful. I noted that in my review. This was just terribly frustrating since I confirmed all the details in advance. I don’t know if they are escalating it (they say they are), but don’t see the results yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: bollar
I had an appointment last week, they confirmed they were ready, then I showed up and they didn’t have the MCU2 part (they do have the HW3 computer). Very frustrating.

I’ve got it booked for next Tuesday and, as of yesterday afternoon, were still saying they didn’t have the MCU2 part. Also frustrating because I can see people having the install done and I feel I’m getting the short end of the stick. It shouldn’t be this hard to give a company $2500, especially since I already took a half day and made the drive down there once.

Edit: Worth pointing out I agree with MiddKid and said so in my earlier post - they are normally wonderful. I noted that in my review. This was just terribly frustrating since I confirmed all the details in advance. I don’t know if they are escalating it (they say they are), but don’t see the results yet.
Finally getting mine installed! MCU2 and AP3! Was just going to do the AP3 (already purchased but decided to get the full experience).

Attachments

• E3DD6393-25E1-4C18-8F0E-E765EFF895EF.jpeg
    E3DD6393-25E1-4C18-8F0E-E765EFF895EF.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 77

Well, if it makes you feel any better, my original confirmed appointment was for May 8th. So it basically took a month to get the MCU2. We rescheduled 3 times. Each time I called two days before to confirm the parts and we'd push out. Given the global supply chain challenges they are facing right now (e.g. delivering new Model 3s with the old AP2.5 hardware) I knew getting parts would be tough.

Hope it comes in soon...it's worth it!

One minor thing I noticed after the upgrade...

I often use my phone to unlock my car in the garage: “Hey Siri, unlock my car."

Today, post upgrade, it has forced me to open the app each time. When I open the app, it says “waking up...” and takes 10-15 seconds.

I always had my car set to “Always Connected” so it would awake immediately but I couldn’t find that setting now. Then I went into the manual and apparently it is “automatic” now. The manual says:

"Model X has an energy-saving feature that reduces the amount of energy being consumed when Model X is not in use. On newer vehicles, this feature is automated to provide an optimal level of energy saving. However, on older vehicles, you can touch Controls > Display > Energy Saving and choose from the following options:"

of which one is:

"Always Connected - Preserves cellular connectivity when energy saving is active. This allows the mobile app to connect to Model X quicker, and provides immediate internet access when entering the car."

So apparently MCU2 loses the ability to control that. Not a huge deal, but my days of Hey Siri seem to be over.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Mobile service came today and swapped out the FSD computer in about 3 hours. Asked I don’t drive the car for the rest of the day as engineering had to do some work on the backend, not sure if this has something to do with me having MCU1.

Funny thing is they texted me this morning saying they had to cancel the appointment and have me bring the car in instead, but mobile service showed up anyways and swapped the part. Guess Tesla still has some work to do with communication for service.

Mobile service came today and swapped out the FSD computer in about 3 hours. Asked I don’t drive the car for the rest of the day as engineering had to do some work on the backend, not sure if this has something to do with me having MCU1.

Funny thing is they texted me this morning saying they had to cancel the appointment and have me bring the car in instead, but mobile service showed up anyways and swapped the part. Guess Tesla still has some work to do with communication for service.
Strange! First time I'm hearing of them asking someone not to drive while they work on something. Hope it works for tomorrow!

Mine just got upgraded today, but I still don't see Netflix. I did a bit of search, and realized that there should be another tab besides Arcade, but I don't see the additional tab at all. Any ideas?
Did you get HW3 and MCU2? MCU2 is required for tesla theatre.

Well, quick update from my end on the FSD upgrade. As Chancellor alluded to, it was a shitshow outta the gates in Tempe. After confirming with me that it would take about 2-3 hours, and that I wouldn’t need a loaner, they promptly informed me that they couldn’t get to my car on Tuesday, and had no loaners available (I drove up 2 hours for the appt.). After reviewing my notes with the Tesla virtual team, the service manager was as accommodating as possible, and clearly Fed up with the direction that the virtual team had provided. He mentioned that there is currently a firmware glitch that Tesla is working to resolve with the FSD chip and MX, and they expect to have it resolved early next week. After a bit of haggling, they ended up finding a loaner since I came up from Tucson. The people are still great to work with, but the Tesla service experience has certainly declined the past few years. Its very disappointing that they don’t have a fleet of loaners for all Tesla owners, but at a minimum they should have a substantial fleet for X and S owners who pay a significant premium for their vehicles.

Well, quick update from my end on the FSD upgrade. As Chancellor alluded to, it was a shitshow outta the gates in Tempe. After confirming with me that it would take about 2-3 hours, and that I wouldn’t need a loaner, they promptly informed me that they couldn’t get to my car on Tuesday, and had no loaners available (I drove up 2 hours for the appt.). After reviewing my notes with the Tesla virtual team, the service manager was as accommodating as possible, and clearly Fed up with the direction that the virtual team had provided. He mentioned that there is currently a firmware glitch that Tesla is working to resolve with the FSD chip and MX, and they expect to have it resolved early next week. After a bit of haggling, they ended up finding a loaner since I came up from Tucson. The people are still great to work with, but the Tesla service experience has certainly declined the past few years. Its very disappointing that they don’t have a fleet of loaners for all Tesla owners, but at a minimum they should have a substantial fleet for X and S owners who pay a significant premium for their vehicles.
i dropped my car off today at the Cincinnati (Blue Ash) Service Center and got a loaner since I live 100 miles away and they were not only installing the MCU 2, but also half shafts to address the shudder issue and didn't expect to be done before Monday morning. As he was getting my loaner paperwork together, the advisor informed me Tesla was doing away with loaners completely within the next couple of months. Uber credits, only. Take this for what it's worth (coming from a service advisor) but that's what I was told today.

i dropped my car off today at the Cincinnati (Blue Ash) Service Center and got a loaner since I live 100 miles away and they were not only installing the MCU 2, but also half shafts to address the shudder issue and didn't expect to be done before Monday morning. As he was getting my loaner paperwork together, the advisor informed me Tesla was doing away with loaners completely within the next couple of months. Uber credits, only. Take this for what it's worth (coming from a service advisor) but that's what I was told today.
Hmm interesting... I've not ever needed a loaner but it's nice to have the option.

Anyone who got the HW3 upgrade with MCU1 have any issues with navigation? Seems to take forever now to start the route. I get that it’s slower, but not it’s slow to the point where it isn’t really usable. That’s one way to get me to pay for MCU2 I guess.

So far, it has varied by SC, but sounds like they may be standardizing.

Anyone who got the HW3 upgrade with MCU1 have any issues with navigation? Seems to take forever now to start the route. I get that it’s slower, but not it’s slow to the point where it isn’t really usable. That’s one way to get me to pay for MCU2 I guess.

apparently the GPS issues are addressed on the latest software update 2020.20.12

Yes, me. I've had exactly this. It now completely chokes on a verbal instruction to navigate to a site. Have also seen my first prolonged black screen on entry into the car - taking awhile to wake up. Am wondering if my emmc is failing, perhaps triggered by the stress of the FSD upgrade? Or something different? Anyway, am pondering the upgrade to MCU2 versus awaiting failure and warranty replacement.

2017 MCU1, AP2.0 -> FSD upgrade a week ago.