Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not seen where someone has been invited to receive the FSD upgrade without the MCU2 upgrade. I just wanted to share that I just received my invite for the FSD Computer Upgrade without the MCU2 upgrade. I scheduled it for 6/24. If they are going by a priority list based on build and purchase date, mine was build 11/16 and was delivered on 12/2/16.
Screenshot_20200613-103117_Tesla.jpg

Yes, me. I've had exactly this. It now completely chokes on a verbal instruction to navigate to a site. Have also seen my first prolonged black screen on entry into the car - taking awhile to wake up. Am wondering if my emmc is failing, perhaps triggered by the stress of the FSD upgrade? Or something different? Anyway, am pondering the upgrade to MCU2 versus awaiting failure and warranty replacement.

2017 MCU1, AP2.0 -> FSD upgrade a week ago.

Thanks! I was hoping they just left mine in some debug mode or something and that’s why it’s slow. Hopefully they will be able to fix this in a future software update. Had I know this ahead of time I would have put off the HW3 upgrade for a bit.

Reactions: Country Roads
Got mine done yesterday In Nashville service enter.

2016 MX AP2.0 to HW3. Still on MCU1. Purchased the vehicle used in Jan so I’m glad they honored the FSD that came with it.

I just setup service appointment couple weeks ago using the App. Did not receive a invite.

Thanks

Reactions: scottf200
It sounds like there is no rhyme or reason to the AP2.0/MCU1 upgrade based on priority of original owners who purchased 3+ years ago. Seems like they are upgrading to sell used vehicles. It probably isn't by design but a local gallery way to sell more used Xs. Personally they should stick to the vin priority list as communicated. I've been rejected 3 times with just a service appointment request without an invitation. But, yet I see folks who just bought used get the upgrade. Pretty dissatisfying to the original investors/owners of AP2.0. I finally received my invitation this past Friday. We'll see if the SC allow the upgrade without the MCU2 upgrade. The invitation does not say it is required. But I have no confidence in the SCs interpretation especially if they are prioritizing sales over owners.

Got mine done yesterday In Nashville service enter.

2016 MX AP2.0 to HW3. Still on MCU1. Purchased the vehicle used in Jan so I’m glad they honored the FSD that came with it.

I just setup service appointment couple weeks ago using the App. Did not receive a invite.

Thanks
Did they actually update the hardware to 3? Ive been hearing they are just doing FSD, but not changing out hardware/cameras.

Did they actually update the hardware to 3? Ive been hearing they are just doing FSD, but not changing out hardware/cameras.
I believe you are being a bit loose with the nomenclature. HW3 refers to the new computer, while cameras/wiring/steering is variously called HW2 and HW2.5, and you may have MCU1 or MCU2.

The whole configuration mishmash is very confusing for us (as owners). Hope Tesla keeps it straight when they deploy sw updates to our cars!

Yes, me. I've had exactly this. It now completely chokes on a verbal instruction to navigate to a site. Have also seen my first prolonged black screen on entry into the car - taking awhile to wake up. Am wondering if my emmc is failing, perhaps triggered by the stress of the FSD upgrade? Or something different? Anyway, am pondering the upgrade to MCU2 versus awaiting failure and warranty replacement.

2017 MCU1, AP2.0 -> FSD upgrade a week ago.

Turning off the dashcam feature seems to speed things up, so seems like it must be related to when dashcam is recording. I guess writing to the USB happens through the MCU and that could be slowing it down somehow, but @verygreen would probably be able to confirm.

I believe you are being a bit loose with the nomenclature. HW3 refers to the new computer, while cameras/wiring/steering is variously called HW2 and HW2.5, and you may have MCU1 or MCU2.

The whole configuration mishmash is very confusing for us (as owners). Hope Tesla keeps it straight when they deploy sw updates to our cars!

This is what the invoice said

Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model X Autopilot 2.0

ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-H) 1.0

ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0

ERGO CLIP, 2.5-3 PNL,12W,16L,169 coating(1007818-00- 2.0”

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
For anyone who may be using the Blue Ash (Cincinnati) Service Center for their MCU 2 upgrade, I might be the one you can thank when your install goes without a hitch. I'm thinking I may be the guinea pig Model X because I dropped my car off Friday with the understanding that it would be ready this morning (Monday). Thankfully, I called before making the 100 mile drive to pick it up. The advisor said they were having issues getting the software to install properly. Hopefully, they're taking notes as a learning tool to avoid this for the many others who will have this done after me. I saw a notification of a firmware update show up on my phone about an hour ago so I hope that means they're getting close. I guess I'll know in the morning...

For anyone who may be using the Blue Ash (Cincinnati) Service Center for their MCU 2 upgrade, I might be the one you can thank when your install goes without a hitch. I'm thinking I may be the guinea pig Model X because I dropped my car off Friday with the understanding that it would be ready this morning (Monday). Thankfully, I called before making the 100 mile drive to pick it up. The advisor said they were having issues getting the software to install properly. Hopefully, they're taking notes as a learning tool to avoid this for the many others who will have this done after me. I saw a notification of a firmware update show up on my phone about an hour ago so I hope that means they're getting close. I guess I'll know in the morning...
If they need assistance with the FW load for your MX they can contact the Lake Forest (CA) SC. My install a week ago took them 2.5 days before they got it to load.

• Helpful
Reactions: KentuckyX
It sounds like there is no rhyme or reason to the AP2.0/MCU1 upgrade based on priority of original owners who purchased 3+ years ago. Personally they should stick to the vin priority list as communicated. I've been rejected 3 times ...

Same boat here as you. I ordered Dec 24th 2016, delivery March 15th 2017 (long days waiting for delivery I tell you). One would figure that longest in the queue would have mattered. Rejected 3 times now. Txt from service: "Unfortunately we do not know when additional stock will arrive so to allow customers with service needs we can assist with to schedule, we are not holding appointments for the retrofits. Once the kit arrives there should not be a sizable delay in how far out the installation appointment would be." So it goes. Anyone disagree with the quoted statement I received?
-TechVP

Same boat here as you. I ordered Dec 24th 2016, delivery March 15th 2017 (long days waiting for delivery I tell you). One would figure that longest in the queue would have mattered. Rejected 3 times now. Txt from service: "Unfortunately we do not know when additional stock will arrive so to allow customers with service needs we can assist with to schedule, we are not holding appointments for the retrofits. Once the kit arrives there should not be a sizable delay in how far out the installation appointment would be." So it goes. Anyone disagree with the quoted statement I received?
-TechVP
Mine kept getting pushed back due to lack of parts and then finally once the parts were available I had to push it back due to scheduling issues. I'm concerned now that they will give the parts to another vehicle and have me waiting again.

Well, it took three business days, but I got my MCU 2 retrofitted MX back yesterday. Love it. I’m seeing cones and garbage cans now. The only issues (of the first-world type) were having to retrain my HomeLink and fix some of the settings that may or may not have been a result of the changeover. For instance, my seat position was not in my saved configuration but I’m guessing maybe the tech moved it and hit “save” by mistake. Also, my maps are stuck on performing an update, without which I cannot do the “stop sign/traffic light control. Even though I’m connected to Wi-Fi, the progress bar hasn’t budged beyond about 10% in the past 24 hours. But the responsiveness is amazing. When I hit the fast forward button to advance to the next song, it actually changes immediately instead of the multi-second lag it had with MCU 1.

Also, my maps are stuck on performing an update, without which I cannot do the “stop sign/traffic light control. Even though I’m connected to Wi-Fi, the progress bar hasn’t budged beyond about 10% in the past 24 hours.
Bummer. The only thing I had to do after my upgrade was the WiFi password. Everything else was saved. May depend on the type of garage door connection (homelink).

If you are talking about 'Navigation Data Update' then that is the same with mine. See below. One of the things Mobile is going to look at today. (Along with AT&T antennae being disconnected it seems).

ErT6mQg.jpg

Also, my maps are stuck on performing an update, without which I cannot do the “stop sign/traffic light control. Even though I’m connected to Wi-Fi, the progress bar hasn’t budged beyond about 10% in the past 24 hours.
Same for mine and the mobile tech said the log shows it timed-out. He is restarting it. Odd they don't have a retry for X times or something else to notify the user what is going on.

Same for mine and the mobile tech said the log shows it timed-out. He is restarting it. Odd they don't have a retry for X times or something else to notify the user what is going on.
I finally got mine t
Okay; after much coaxing and rebooting and using other WiFi networks, I got the map update to kick on through. However, it didn't solve the issue I am having with turning on Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. It's grayed out and says the latest version of maps must be downloaded. What came through when I downloaded earlier today was 2020.12.11866. And now it says the firmware is up to date. Curious what map/nav firmware you have?