Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have upgrade to MCU2, worth it? So far I’ve decided to wait and see what happens.
I am scheduled and confirmed mobile service for the FSD upgrade without the MCU1 to 2 upgrade on 6/25. I want to see for myself what features are missing besides the cones and other minor FSD visualizations with MCU1 before I consider the MCU2 upgrade. Personally, I don't play the games or miss them. I wouldn't use Netflix or Hulu. I don't use the internet browser and can't think of a reason why I would. My wife uses FM radio when she borrows my car :). So, not worth it for me as of yet. I heard rumors that the dashcam works to USB stick only. If true, then I don't think I would update. Unless there is some unforeseen future capability that would launch Mr. Roboto to Mars, I am not motivated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryshaw
Especially for those who are older. If you factor in a FSD+MCU is $10,000. There’s threads of a battery swap from a 60/75/90 to a 100kwh for...?? Extended warranty for $4,500. These things start closing the gap on a trade in.
If the battery upgrade is available at some point, based on price, I would consider that. MCU2, nope. I opted out of the extended warranty a year ago. I have had one repair done to replaced the 12v battery for $450. That item would have not been covered anyway. So, I am still good.

If the battery upgrade is available at some point, based on price, I would consider that. MCU2, nope. I opted out of the extended warranty a year ago. I have had one repair done to replaced the 12v battery for $450. That item would have not been covered anyway. So, I am still good.

If/when your MCU1 fails, would you repair the chip? Or would you upgrade then?

I got the text an hour ago that my X is done with service, so I can’t wait to pick it up tomorrow with MCU2 and FSD upgrade complete. They had the FSD chip for weeks before the MCU2 chip arrived (so unfortunate!) but it’s now near the end...looking forward to trying it out!

I gotta say I have zero regrets in upgrading my MCU. Voice commands work. Smoother web browsing. Netflix while charging. Nothing but joy now! All this on a 2016 MX that seems like a brand new car now!
I agree 100%. Navigation, audio controls, voice commands, and LTE all work smoothly now; as good, or better, than they did in my Model 3. Money well spent, IMO.

Reactions: AppleSam