Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I paid for the MCU with new touchscreen, so "A", but didn't get the new touchscreen. So annoying. Not sure if I should request a refund for $250, or request they install the new touchscreen.

Is there a way to tell if they swapped out a new screen? I have my appointment for the FSA upgrade and the $2500 MCU upgrade but I was wondering if there’s a way to check if they indeed swapped out the screen once I get my car back. Not that I think they would be dishonest or anything. I have a Dec 2016 P90D if it makes a difference which has the AP2.0 and MCU1.

TIA.

Is there a way to tell if they swapped out a new screen? I have my appointment for the FSA upgrade and the $2500 MCU upgrade but I was wondering if there’s a way to check if they indeed swapped out the screen once I get my car back. Not that I think they would be dishonest or anything. I have a Dec 2016 P90D if it makes a difference which has the AP2.0 and MCU1.

TIA.
This may seem silly, but look for the yellow border that is consistent with MCU 1 screens.
Anyone else have suggestions?
-TechVP

Reactions: Stin121
Is there a way to tell if they swapped out a new screen? I have my appointment for the FSA upgrade and the $2500 MCU upgrade but I was wondering if there’s a way to check if they indeed swapped out the screen once I get my car back. Not that I think they would be dishonest or anything. I have a Dec 2016 P90D if it makes a difference which has the AP2.0 and MCU1. TIA.
You are going to feel like you got a new car. I did both upgrades recently on my July '17 X100D.

Before I had mine done I didn't realize there was an A (with) or B (without) kit but the price should be $250 less as well.

I would be tempted to put a couple inconspicuous marker marks (dots) on the edge of the screen. Maybe where it is typically dark but if you are in the sketch app they show up. Just an idea.

Last edited:

TIA.

I had an Abstract Ocean screen protector on my MCU display. It was still there when the car was returned so I know the screen wasn't replaced, but they did remove and reinstall the screen. I know this because it's now installed off-center and will need to be adjusted ... Oh well.

I am only throwing this out there as another "It's great, it was easy, it was worth it, you should totally do it too" post:

2017 S 100D with AP2, "prepaid" (at purchase in July 2017) FSD, MCU1. I requested the AutoPilot computer and MCU upgrade through the Tesla app via the pick list and it noted that stock was 30-60 days out, but that they would inform me when it was available. The next day, they said I could get it in 2 weeks if I was willing to drive to the Service Center (Cherry Hill) that was 40 min away instead of the one 20 min away (Princeton), which was fine with me. I also wanted to get the HVAC routinely serviced (replace AC desiccant, carbon/cabin filter, brake fluid check, brake cleaning, sunroof lubrication, etc.)

Dropping off the car they had also tagged it for 100D uncorking, which I thought was a little weird as I was originally told that due to our build date, our S already had it, but I figured there was no downside to it. I'm not sure I notice the 0-60 4.2 -> 4.1sec

Got the car back and they said they had no trouble with the upgrade, no funkiness with firmware updates, everything went smoothly. They warned me about AutoPilot needing to calibrate that there's a chance a lot of our settings were missing, etc., so I hopped it and drove away. AutoPilot calibrated within about 10 miles and is working great, I enjoy all the eye candy and stop light/sign, traffic cone, trash can stuff. From what I can tell, we lost NONE of our settings with the exception of having to reprogram Homelink. Our seat settings, various safety/vehicle/personal preferences were all there as before. I presume we're missing FM radio, but I never once used FM radio since we purchased the car 3+ years ago and given that we live in somewhat modern times, I have no need to confirm FM radio is missing. Ordered a flash drive for Sentry and Dashcam that we're looking forward to using too.

I have nothing else to add to the volumes already reported by others, but OMG the smoothness and quickness of the MCU was instantly noticeable. The MCU screen seemed more vibrant (our old one was yellowing a bit) and sharp, but that could just be my imagination (and having driven in a loaner 2016 S 90D the last couple of days...)

Totally worth it, very happy to have done it, feels like a new car.

Ok- I think I discovered ONE minor downside: More vampire drain than AP2 / MCU1 (not sure who to blame, I suspect MCU2).

Since the ‘rona and working from home perpetually, we’ve been driving very infrequently so I was able to disable “Always connected” and enable “Energy Savings.” This resulted in the car going into what I call coma mode that would often require a good 30-45sec delay waking up after sitting for a while.

This was TOTALLY a worthy trade off as we were losing maybe 1 mile of range per day. Since getting AP3/MCU2 I’m seeing a loss of about 10mi per day in a 68-74F garage. I don’t have Sentry Mode enabled (still waiting for flash drive) and haven’t been checking the app.

I do use TeslaFi and it’s reporting that it’s turned into a colicky infant- Sleeps for about an hour, wakes for an hour. Sleeps for 30 min, wakes for 2 hours. Sleeps for an hour wakes for an hour etc.

I’ll have to see if it’s just coincidental or if this is just the way it is or if TeslaFi is doing something goofy. I’m not upset or anything, just curious and thought I’d mention it. (Apologies if this has been discussed ages ago!)

Ok- I think I discovered ONE minor downside: More vampire drain than AP2 / MCU1 (not sure who to blame, I suspect MCU2).

Since the ‘rona and working from home perpetually, we’ve been driving very infrequently so I was able to disable “Always connected” and enable “Energy Savings.” This resulted in the car going into what I call coma mode that would often require a good 30-45sec delay waking up after sitting for a while.

This was TOTALLY a worthy trade off as we were losing maybe 1 mile of range per day. Since getting AP3/MCU2 I’m seeing a loss of about 10mi per day in a 68-74F garage. I don’t have Sentry Mode enabled (still waiting for flash drive) and haven’t been checking the app.

I do use TeslaFi and it’s reporting that it’s turned into a colicky infant- Sleeps for about an hour, wakes for an hour. Sleeps for 30 min, wakes for 2 hours. Sleeps for an hour wakes for an hour etc.

I’ll have to see if it’s just coincidental or if this is just the way it is or if TeslaFi is doing something goofy. I’m not upset or anything, just curious and thought I’d mention it. (Apologies if this has been discussed ages ago!)
What options do you have setup on the TeslaFI Sleep page: TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S 3 X Y Data Logger
I don't have much luck on my past MCU1 X or my current MCU1->MCU2 upgraded X.
Saw these recommendations some time ago.
TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)

"Here are my settings, car goes to sleep no problem (and stays asleep). Typically goes to sleep in 43 minutes. I have "Deep Sleep" option off."

UipNcMf.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
^Yeah, that's about what mine were set to last night (and I also added "Deep Sleep" to see if it would make a difference).

Basically same situation over the last 12 hours, starting at midnight:
AP3 + MCU2 Upgrade:
12:00AM - 12:30AM Idle
12:30AM - 1:30AM Sleep
1:31AM - 1:42AM Idle
1:42AM - 2:43AM Sleep
2:43AM - 2:55AM Idle
2:55AM - 3:55AM Sleep
3:55AM - 4:06AM Idle
4:06AM - 5:06AM Sleep
5:06AM - 6:09AM Idle
6:09AM - 7:09AM Sleep
7:09AM - 7:20AM Idle
7:20AM - 8:21AM Sleep
etc.

So I feel like there is some sort of internal trigger/timer, as it'll only allow it to sleep for 1 hour (and almost exactly 1 hour) at a time before waking up. I'll also give it a few days, do a reboot, run-through all the various settings that could explain what's going on (pretty sure I turned off stuff like Summon/Ready, Cabin Overheat, etc.) but it could just be how it is with MCU2.

For reference, here's what my previous days and nights often looked like with MCU1 and the "Energy Saving ON | Always Connected | OFF"
AP2 + MCU1
Sep 14:
12:00AM - 8:11AM - Sleep
8:11AM - 1:06PM - Idle
1:06PM - 11:59PM - Sleep

Sep 10:
12:00AM - 9:16PM - Sleep (21hrs!)
9:16PM - 10:03PM - Idle
10:03PM - 11:59PM - Sleep

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi @Cirrus MS100D ,

I have been having similar problems with my MCU2 2018 X.

When it is charged fully in the evening, I unplug it from the HPWC
and it sleeps up to 12 or 13 hours...

It has to be a software issue.
I have been in touch with TeslaFi trying to figure it out.

No changes on my part from working to the colicky baby you describe,
so it has to be in the software...

Shawn

• Helpful

I have the same issue and have seen reports from others. Was told my Tesla Service that it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

• Informative
December 2018 Model 3 MR owner here. I checked the last few pages but didn't see it. Sorry if this question has already been answered.

I am buying a used Model X. If I buy a 2.0 Model X that comes with FSD, will Tesla upgrade all the hardware to be a 3.0 model? Or should I buy a 2.5 Model X that comes with FSD, so they can just do the CPU swap? I'm not just talking about the MCU but the better radar on AP 2.5, too.

...If I buy a 2.0 Model X that comes with FSD, will Tesla upgrade all the hardware to be a 3.0 model?...
Tesla is just upgrading the autopilot computer today. Radar and cameras are being done by owners. Redundant steering servos and new fuse/breaker setup are not being done by anyone, to my knowledge. But in the future, Tesla might end up doing more before FSD is fully done.

Tesla’s FSD stance on the MCU is that MCU1 can do FSD, even though Tesla is upgrading those for $1500 purely for infotainment. Specifically the Tesla argument is that the improved IC FSD visualizations are not required for FSD. We’ll see if that turns out to be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Esquire
Tesla is just upgrading the autopilot computer today. Radar and cameras are being done by owners. Redundant steering servos and new fuse/breaker setup are not being done by anyone, to my knowledge. But in the future, Tesla might end up doing more before FSD is fully done.

Tesla’s FSD stance on the MCU is that MCU1 can do FSD, even though Tesla is upgrading those for $1500 purely for infotainment. Specifically the Tesla argument is that the improved IC FSD visualizations are not required for FSD. We’ll see if that turns out to be the case.
Very helpful. I will target an AP 2.5 on the used market since the price difference isn't show stopping, particularly when considering the MCU upgrade cost. I have driven a Model X with the MCU 1 and it's not a great experience at all compared to my MCU 2 Model 3. Thanks so much!

Reactions: TechVP
Driving with MCU1 is exactly the same as MCU2. I don't see how the MCU upgrade can make the driving experience any different. All the upgrades are infotainment and FSD visualization related. Faster MCU, sure, but should not change your driving experience. I switched back and forth between the '21 X / 3 / '16 X all the time. Doesn't change the car driving experience. There are other factors in the newer cars that does change it, like Raven suspension, better battery range, etc...

I think the at-rest experience would be different. I'm hoping you guys are not going in thinking the upgrade will change how the car drives.

-ThinkMac-

Very helpful. I will target an AP 2.5 on the used market since the price difference isn't show stopping, particularly when considering the MCU upgrade cost. I have driven a Model X with the MCU 1 and it's not a great experience at all compared to my MCU 2 Model 3. Thanks so much!

Driving with MCU1 is exactly the same as MCU2...
Sure, as long as you aren’t using the navigation, voice commanding something, playing music over USB, watching the instrument cluster for Full Self Driving (FSD) visualization, using the browser for something like waze or any other number of activities. But yeah, MCU1 doesn’t keep the steering wheel from turning the wheels, if that is all you consider driving.