Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, just returned from the service center with my FSD upgrade for my May 2017 S AP2.0 and it went well. Took all day and they had some software push issues but it was the first one done at the Santa Barbara service center. A few things to point out:

1. Dashcam/Sentry mode!!
- Finally we have this even with the old MCU. Works fine and the USB format tool works. No dash cam viewer. Video quality is great, just weird coloring but it really doesn’t bother me at all.

2. Visualizations are there but spotty. About as responsive as before but just more of them. I do see the stop signs/lights and stop lines. I haven’t driven by cones yet so not sure about that or trash cans

3. AP feels more confident, but I hate that comment, so I’ll just say it’s great and the latest update seemed to really solidify some things.

that’s about all I have for now but I’m pretty pumped! Going out for a recon drive now!

I'm also interested in finding out this... thanks!

The above message confirms that MCU1/HW2.0 --> MCU1/HW3.0 does get Dashcam and Sentry Mode. Other than different colour filters on the camera's there is no difference from HW2.5 upgrading to HW3.0 to HW2.0 upgrading to HW3.0 with keeping MCU1.

There is no different MCU1 in HW2.0 to HW2.5. MCU1 is the same.

• Love
Reactions: Shaz and dailo
Hi G2019,

They replace the autopilot computer which is located in the dash above
the glove box.

Have you tried the brake pedal reboot???

I am guessing you are at home now... Try another key fob...

Shawn
Yes, in tired the reboot when I reached home but not drove after that..
SC locked my key inside the car for me to pickup from their SC lot. How to reset?

Hi G2019,

End of month can mean wonky stuff with the Tesla Servers.
You may wish to delete the Tesla App from your phone,
install it again, and log in and try again...

After an app has been in the phone a while it can become corrupt.
Give it a try - You must know your login credentials... Right???

Shawn

The above message confirms that MCU1/HW2.0 --> MCU1/HW3.0 does get Dashcam and Sentry Mode. Other than different colour filters on the camera's there is no difference from HW2.5 upgrading to HW3.0 to HW2.0 upgrading to HW3.0 with keeping MCU1.

There is no different MCU1 in HW2.0 to HW2.5. MCU1 is the same.
You also won’t get rear camera recording.

App still shows "In Service" and SC address although the MX is in my home, did a few soft-rebooting.
Not working:
- NAV stuck
- AP not working
- Cruise control unavailable
- Visualization
- Sentry mode kept giving error and turning off
- Garage not opening

App still shows "In Service" and SC address although the MX is in my home, did a few soft-rebooting.
Not working:
- NAV stuck
- AP not working
- Cruise control unavailable
- Visualization
- Sentry mode kept giving error and turning off
- Garage not opening

Same exact thing happened to my car. I messaged @verygreen about it... and he confirmed what the service center ended up finding out from engineering. It was a config error. They'll probably need to take it back in - I don't think they can reload it remotely.

Here is a screenshot of the issue...

upload_2020-6-2_21-9-26.png

Same exact thing happened to my car. I messaged @verygreen about it... and he confirmed what the service center ended up finding out from engineering. It was a config error. They'll probably need to take it back in - I don't think they can reload it remotely.

Here is a screenshot of the issue...

View attachment 547457
Oh boy.. I definitely do not want to take it back to the SC as it's far from my home. Can they try to reload remotely or send their mobile unit to my location? Really frustrated... Can I request Tesla SC to compensate me for this trouble? Thanks again.

Oh boy.. I definitely do not want to take it back to the SC as it's far from my home. Can they try to reload remotely or send their mobile unit to my location? Really frustrated... Can I request Tesla SC to compensate me for this trouble? Thanks again.

I'm not 100% sure whether or not they can fix it remotely, so it's definitely worth a shot. As far as compensation, it's a free upgrade anyway, so I'm not sure you've got much leg to stand on with compensation... maybe a cup of coffee while you wait?!?

That's awesome! How's the car like with HW3 and MCU1? Hopefully more service centers follow suit!
The upgrade was done before I ever had a chance to drive it with HW 2.0, so it's hard for me to judge. But I can say that my MCU 1 is VERY laggy at times. I would assume that was the case before it was upgraded to HW 3. I just hope the $2500 I spend on the MCU 2 upgrade solves all of that.

Hi, my 2017 X had *exact* same issue.. I took it back to the service center. They've had it for a week now waiting for "a GPS cable". Interesting if this is actually a software issue, and not hardware
it is a software issue.

BUT service center does not know how to properly diagnose it. The fix is to change dashw to 4 in the gateway config and perform redeploy. I know of multiple cars affected, somebody botched mcu1 install instructions for hw3 apparently.

Will MCU 2 add the "live traffic" info (red/amber lines for slower traffic and congested traffic areas)? My Model 3 displayed that but I'm not seeing it on my MCU 1 MX.
Live traffic is available on both MCU1 and MCU2. If you tap the map and then the traffic light icon, you should see live traffic if the car has Premium Connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: Hwood