Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is a software issue.

BUT service center does not know how to properly diagnose it. The fix is to change dashw to 4 in the gateway config and perform redeploy. I know of multiple cars affected, somebody botched mcu1 install instructions for hw3 apparently.
You were right...it sure was a software issue.. Looks like they were about to fix it remotely .

The car stops at green signal light too...is that normal?
There are 1000 videos on this and 2000 post. Traffic lights and Stop sign - Google Search

You have to confirm to pass thru the green lights. They are testing and your confirmation is compared to what the car thinks it should do (ie. future software/OTA update to advance FSD further). HTH

Last edited:
The above message confirms that MCU1/HW2.0 --> MCU1/HW3.0 does get Dashcam and Sentry Mode. Other than different colour filters on the camera's there is no difference from HW2.5 upgrading to HW3.0 to HW2.0 upgrading to HW3.0 with keeping MCU1.

There is no different MCU1 in HW2.0 to HW2.5. MCU1 is the same.
I have HW3 and MCU 1 but I don’t see stop signs, traffic lights, cones, or garbage cans.

I have a Model S 90D with AP2.0 and FSD purchased. Tesla just contacted me to schedule upgrade for "FSD". I asked about MCU, and was told that only the AP DAS would be upgraded. The MCU will not be, unless I pay the additional $2,500.

You need to turn on Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control from Autopilot settings. But MCU1 doesn't have the option to turn on Visualization Preview nor show cones.
Yeah; having gone through the setup with my Model 3, I was confused as to why it wasn’t on the menu for my X when I had read where others with MCU 1 were seeing cones, etc. I’m scheduled for the MCU 2 update on 6/15, so I guess I’ll have that option soon.

Yeah; having gone through the setup with my Model 3, I was confused as to why it wasn’t on the menu for my X when I had read where others with MCU 1 were seeing cones, etc. I’m scheduled for the MCU 2 update on 6/15, so I guess I’ll have that option soon.
Okay; today while menu browsing my settings, I found the stop sign/traffic light control button in the AP settings. I think the problem was that I looked for that button within the AP menu when I first got my car Saturday and, not seeing it, assumed MCU 1 cars didn’t have it. When I got home, an update was ready and after installing it, I never went back in looking for it (since I thought I had set up the extent of my FSD capablities earlier). Just took a little drive and saw the signs and lights but, as you mentioned, no cones. Kinda makes me wonder if the $2500 upgrade is really that necessary...

Okay; today while menu browsing my settings, I found the stop sign/traffic light control button in the AP settings. I think the problem was that I looked for that button within the AP menu when I first got my car Saturday and, not seeing it, assumed MCU 1 cars didn’t have it. When I got home, an update was ready and after installing it, I never went back in looking for it (since I thought I had set up the extent of my FSD capablities earlier). Just took a little drive and saw the signs and lights but, as you mentioned, no cones. Kinda makes me wonder if the $2500 upgrade is really that necessary...
Glad you found it! In my opinion, the MCU2 upgrade is worth it for the faster responses and the extra "party tricks" (theatre, games, etc.) However, I understand why people would opt not to get it if all that they miss is a few cones!

Glad you found it! In my opinion, the MCU2 upgrade is worth it for the faster responses and the extra "party tricks" (theatre, games, etc.) However, I understand why people would opt not to get it if all that they miss is a few cones!
Actually, it’ll be worth it for me if it fixes the lag time of the audio. Spotify spins and spins before finally playing the song I’ve chosen and the volume control is sometimes VERY laggy.

Reactions: Dutchie
Spotify spins and spins before finally playing the song I’ve chosen and the volume control is sometimes VERY laggy.
this is typically because you have another device connected to your spotify account. That is not supported and breaks the in-car client.

Have a dedicated spotify account for your car for good experience.

Have my appointment scheduled for Friday in Tempe as well, and everything looks good so far. Anyone have an idea as to how long it takes them to swap the chip? I’m a bit worried about how and where to wait it out, as I’m driving a couple hours to get there, and will be stranded if they still have their waiting room closed, and may need to get creative, depending on timing.

Have my appointment scheduled for Friday in Tempe as well, and everything looks good so far. Anyone have an idea as to how long it takes them to swap the chip? I’m a bit worried about how and where to wait it out, as I’m driving a couple hours to get there, and will be stranded if they still have their waiting room closed, and may need to get creative, depending on timing.
I think it will vary time wise. Mine went in last Thursday for the AP2>AP3 swap plus MCU1>MCU2 and Hepa filter replacement. It is now working day 4 and no positive progress. Looks like they began attempting to load the new software last Friday and since then I have received nothing but software load failure messages via the app. I have received 8 of those with the last one at 6:45 this morning. Others appear to have had more timely success so the time from in and out of the shop seems to vary. Hopefully yours will take no longer than 1-2 days but be prepared just in case.

I think it will vary time wise. Mine went in last Thursday for the AP2>AP3 swap plus MCU1>MCU2 and Hepa filter replacement. It is now working day 4 and no positive progress. Looks like they began attempting to load the new software last Friday and since then I have received nothing but software load failure messages via the app. I have received 8 of those with the last one at 6:45 this morning. Others appear to have had more timely success so the time from in and out of the shop seems to vary. Hopefully yours will take no longer than 1-2 days but be prepared just in case.
Thanks HB! I probably just have mentioned that I’m also just getting the AP3 chip installed, no MCU upgrade.

Mine was completed a week ago in Tysons Corner VA. They started on Thursday and needed a part for my MCU1 upgrade AP2 to 3 only install. It arrived Saturday but SC is not open on weekends since covid. It was competed Monday. Had they had the part, maybe a one day job if your lucky.

• Informative
Reactions: Ryshaw