Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's over 100.000!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i meet hans-jörg at the kesselberg-race 2 weeks ago. he nearly suffered no loss in capacity which is still within the regular range. my batterie is like new after more then 25.000 km. i just did 358km and hat still 86km ideal range left. will try 400km back from monaco to bellizona. this attempt was forced by the out of order hpc in milan.
after charging in range mode i have 386km ideal range

100,000 KM (62,000 miles) VERY encouraging.

I find this very encouraging and it is a great selling point that he has used the battery pack so much and not losing any range. That give me hope my Tesla will last for MANY years to come.

I am curious are other users seeing a loss in range? We have had a few Tesla's now on the road for nearly 4 years now. I have a 3 year old 2008 but only 2600 miles. The pack looks good but I would expect it to be so after so little use. I have taken three 230 mile trips in the car in the last month and hope to do many more.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 761
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 772
Last edited:
Impressive

i did 2 rides with more then 400km in row

monaco bellinzone yesterday 40km ideal range left

feldkirch münnerstadt today 50km ideal range left

Ebherhard, thank you for the update? That is quite impressive, how fast do you normally drive on such a trip and do you charge some along the way? When I drive at 80 km/hr I am not sure I can get much over 375 km. I would prefer todrive the route at 100km/hr but I do not think I can make the distance.

Thank you

Ebherhard, thank you for the update? That is quite impressive, how fast do you normally drive on such a trip and do you charge some along the way? When I drive at 80 km/hr I am not sure I can get much over 375 km. I would prefer todrive the route at 100km/hr but I do not think I can make the distance.

Thank you

I drove almost behind trucks, trying to be very constant with the speed, using cruise control, avoid braking and accelerating. Speed average was around 85km/h. trucks usually run with 87/88km/h (but are slower uphills). But you vast time to get in and out of town. At 100km/h you have to calculate with 150Wh/km, depending on overall condition. means you can do 350km but with very little IR left as a reserve. You have alway check your tripmeter to check the current consumption and what capacity is left. The Ideal Range calculation is very helpful. I prefer to have at least 30km IR as reserve when i arrive and not to stress the battery to much. Both rides were with charging and driving in Range Mode.
I was very impressed myself how easily it was to do trips > 400km if you have to do it and being very careful not to wast energy.

Last edited:
For sure.... would love to see him put a chart up with the Tesla Graphical Log Parser to see how much he actually lost.

Talked to Hansjörg von Gemmigen yesterday. He told me that he still gets around 288 km when charging in standard mode (after 100'000km). This is only 5% lower than the charged range of a new battery (which is around 305 km in standard mode).

That's pretty awesome :love:

Talked to Hansjörg von Gemmigen yesterday. He told me that he still gets around 288 km when charging in standard mode (after 100'000km). This is only 5% lower than the charged range of a new battery (which is around 305 km in standard mode).
Are you sure?

Just after I read your post in took the Roadster here for a drive, it also said 288km in standard mode after a full charge. It's 3 months old and has driven 7800km. The only time I saw >300km on the display was when it was charged in Range mode.

I think the standard mode final range number varies from car to car; mine varied from 299 to 301 when brand-new, and it still does that a year and 10,000 km later.

Battery balancing may also have an effect. After doing a couple of Range mode charges this week it seems to be going higher. Range mode does a little additional battery balancing, I'm told. I had to stop a standard charge "early" yesterday and it was already showing 302. I'm not sure I've even seen 302 before.

My full range mode charge came in at 382. A top off put it to 384, but it settled back to 382 before we left.

More info. My car was on 110V at the hotel last night to top it up to full standard mode charge. I just had a look and it charged to 314 km! That's much higher than I've ever seen before. Apparently Range mode does have a significant impact on the battery balancing. Either that or 110V somehow squeezes more in.

Apparently Range mode does have a significant impact on the battery balancing. Either that or 110V somehow squeezes more in.

I think that both things are true.

I recently took my car in for its 24,000 mile service. Apparently, there was a problem with some $.01 rivets in the sheet metal of my battery, and so they had to replace it. I got a battery with about 6000 miles on it (a big win for me). The Tesla service guy told me that the new battery was horribly out of balance that I should charge it all the way up in Range mode and then let it sit there. Not overnight, but for lots of days. I was surprised about that, but I did it anyway.

When I first got the new battery, it was charging to the low 170s in standard mode (and I think around 220 in range mode). After doing several range mode charges and letting it sit, the standard mode charge crept up to the low 180s. Then, over the next month or so (without more range mode charging) it's now getting 185 or 186.

As I understand it, the issue with battery balancing is this: There are a number of sheets in the battery. During charge and discharge, they all run in parallel. However, due to whatever reason some of them can wind up with a smaller or larger charge than the others. When you're charging, they all get the same amount of energy, and the charge stops when the most full sheet hits its charge limit. However, as you drive the car you need to stop discharging when the least full sheet hits its low charge limit. Therefore, you've effectively lost the part of the battery that's between the two.

Let me give an example. Say that one of the sheets has 10% more charge than the others. When you charge up, you stop when the extra-full sheet hits its limit (say 85% state of charge (SOC)). When that happens, the other 10 sheets are only at 75% SOC. Then, when you run the car, you have to stop when the less-charged sheets hit the lower limit (10% SOC or so). As a result, you only get to run the battery from 75%-5%, or 70% of the total capacity, as opposed to running it from 85%-5% and getting 80% of SOC as designed.

Balancing will even out the charge in the sheets (either by lowering the overfull one, increasing the others or most likely both by moving charge between them). The result of this is that you'll be able to get all 11 sheets to 85% charge and then down to 5%, and it will look like your battery has added capacity.

What's interesting (and to me unexpected) about this is:
1) It's remarkably slow. This takes DAYS (or even a week) not minutes or hours.
2) It works much better in range mode than standard mode

So, never charging in range mode may well be reducing your effective battery capacity. The good news is that you can fix it by holding your nose and letting it charge and sit in range mode for a long time.

Tesla service can tell you if your battery is out of balance.

Last edited: