TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

it's posible to some one hack or copy tesla model X fob

Discussion in 'Model X' started by oliver4ever, Nov 12, 2019.

1. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

it's posible to some one hack or copy tesla model X fob ?
    and how i protect the car ? and pin to drive it's safe or secure ?

2. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

What the thieves can do is capture the radio signals from the fob, copy them and then retransmit from their own transmitters. The way to protect yourself from this is to place the fob in a faraday pouch when it is not being used. Nice looking pouches are sold on the internet for this purpose. Wrapping in aluminum foil will work too.

The PIN is helpful but is only 4 digits long.

3. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi Oliver4ever,

Do you have your car back? Is it OK? Last we heard it was at the Service Center with very low battery...

A Faraday pouch would help for your key... A PIN would help. Although some had trouble in the early
    days of the software with PINs.

I have had 3 fobs made for my car on 2 different mobile service visits.
    They are very hard to program even with the correct Tesla tools.
    They have very complicated computer keys...

I do not think you have to be concerned.

Good Luck,

Shawn

• Like x 1
  4. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

The Model X fobs are quite complex animals, they include a receiver to support 2-way authentication, and bluetooth for proximity detection (so the car knows where you are and when to open the door). Way beyond what most fobs are capable of. They are extraordinarily difficult to program and get properly paired with the car. Adding or replacing a Model X fob can easily take hours or days to get right. The central body control module on my car failed and was replaced in warranty. It took them 6 hours over two days, and two trips on my part, just to get the keys to work right. I would not be concerned about security against standard relay attack vectors with the Model X. Pin to Drive adds a whole extra layer on top the secure fob. You still need the fob to drive, plus the code.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Mbrockus

Mbrockus Member

Definitely recommend PIN to drive to protect your vehicle.

• Like x 1
  6. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Is it possible you ask? Anything is possible however difficult for most hackers. The best hacking is done from the inside of the intended target. I won't be as worried so much about the key fob as I would ensuring your tesla account is kept secure with password being changed often. Must be Tesla's concern as well for they are considering 2 step verification and rightfully so.

• Like x 1
  7. mxnym

mxnym Member

If you don't like the idea of PIN to drive and are only concerned with repeater attacks, you can disable passive entry. When passive entry is disabled, the car will only be able to start for a brief period of time after receiving an unlock signal (double-click on cabin) from the fob. If you have automatic doors, and you leave them enabled while passive entry is disabled, the driver door will not open automatically until the vehicle is unlocked (including by opening an FWD, which will not allow the vehicle to start). That isn't to say that it's impossible for someone to record a double-click and replay it, but if that is even possible (I don't know what security the button press signals have, if any), you would have to be more specifically targeted before it could occur.

• Like x 1
  8. oliver4ever

oliver4ever Member

HELLO ,
    thank you for answer and ask about my car ( the car is ok now ) the problem in service was AC work 24/24 and the car all time was open for that was last the charger and now is ok :)
    yes am living in ukraine and ask you know here so much people try to hack the key and about model S it's hacked and they car stell it very easy :)

for that i will try my best to protect my car :)