Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Its rained and notice (heard) water in the boot lid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
It rained heavily yesterday and a bit today, but last night and this morning I noticed that when I open the boot i can hear water inside the boot lid itself?

Anyone else notice this?

Sounds like water rushing down inside it when you open it.

upload_2019-9-26_13-19-24.png

So is the problem the seal for the tail lights?

I worked at a pre delivery center in the 90s and all the Jags had to have the tail lights removed and sillicone applied to stop water leaks into the boot and condensation in the lamps. Bodgery. Lol.

So is the problem the seal for the tail lights?

I worked at a pre delivery center in the 90s and all the Jags had to have the tail lights removed and sillicone applied to stop water leaks into the boot and condensation in the lamps. Bodgery. Lol.
No it does not seem to be the lights as they are below the line of the boot lid. The water is inside the lid/door.

Noticed this morning (No rain since lunch yesterday) that the slooshing has gone, seems only when it rains and does drain but very slowly.

As the link that @pdk42 gave above, someone mentions that it could be the weld joints on the boot, and the joint/gap between the back window & the boot water is somehow getting in. There are very small holes to allow water out but it seems that water gets in quicker than out and therefore fills up inside during heavy rain. Someone had a new boot lid put in and that seems to have fixed it.

I have added this to my SC visit in Oct for them to assess, Hoping it rains that day!

Thought i should mention this and not sure if anyone else has noticed?

I have had this issue with water in the boot lid, slooshes around inside the boot lid when i open it.

This Morning i noticed water inside the boot, not much but its there!

You can see the water on the inside of the rubber gasket and at the location of where one of the rubber feet sits.

MVIMG_20191002_065830.jpg

Sorry about my "DIY" boot liner!

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
David - slightly off topic but is it your black model 3 that has been parking in Ratcliffe recently? I've driven past it a couple of times and have been itching to have a closer look and a word with the owner :)
Ratcliffe road, south Leicester area?, south Knighton area is where i am. If you do see me "BS19 reg" south leicester feel free to come have a look :) I think there is also anther Black M3 around me somewhere but only seen it once.

Has anyone got a conclusive answer/solution to this? Yes, service appt is booked.

I’ve got the water sloshing/ trickling noise inside the boot lid & water droplets behind the gasket too. The thought of the car rusting from the inside out:eek:!

4433B2D8-CB62-4026-9C15-380E62C0A7EA.jpeg