Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear mine, but it's not as loud as in these videos. Do you guys notice it more if you crank up the AC compared to keeping it at speed 1 or 2?

It's more temperature differential dependent rather than fan speed dependent. If you start at 24 or 25 and then lower the temperature as the car gets cooler there really isn't a lot of noise. If you start at 18, it will be impressively loud and will vibrate.

How can a compressor noise, or any normal noise emanating from a car, be "embarrassing"? This must be the first AC compressor in history that makes someone feel ashamed. That's not the response I had, not by a long shot. I've had my car for over 9 months. The compressor is loud because there is no engine noise masking the compressor. There is nothing abnormal about the noise itself. Cars make noises. So do EVs, for that matter. Just because our cars are electric doesn't mean they will always be silent in every circumstance. Cars make noises.

The first time I heard the AC compressor, I thought "oh hey, that's the AC. Cool." I never assigned a negative emotional value to that noise. It's a normal noise. Just like the vacuum pump coming on when you tap your brake pedal. Or the car making a similar noise while it re-levels itself when you exist. Living in AZ, I'm thankful the Model S has such a powerful AC.

Sorry man, I disagree. There is no way that this level of noise should be considered acceptable for a $100K car. I have had other luxury cars that, at idle speeds had very little engine noise (for example, Mercedes CL550) and the compressor running on very hot days would not make a quarter of the noise the Model S does so I dont buy the 'your gas car noise just drowned it out' argument. Like I said, just sitting idling my CL550 was almost an electric car quiet from the inside. Great insulation I suppose. When my Model S compressor starts up it's like I am pushing the throttle on a plane about to take off.

My service center also told me about some insulating solution they are working on. They better hurry up. I 100% agree that when I am inside the car, especially with someone, it is really annoying to be asked, Èwhat the hell is that loud noise...I thought electric cars were supposed to be silent". It IS embarrassing IMHO.

I just leave mine in Range Mode. Even at 85*F here with 95% Humidity, we were freezing within minutes. If I turn range mode off, the Jet Engine prepares for take off.

My concern with running range mode for A/C is that during winter range mode slows heating of the battery. I reckon this is okay because cold doesn't hurt the battery. In summer, does range mode slow the cooling of the battery, and if so, what are the ramifications?

In summer, does range mode slow the cooling of the battery, and if so, what are the ramifications?

That's a good point, but I would have to think that Tesla thought this through. Many people will want or need to use Range Mode for a variety of reasons, but if the battery requires cooling beyond what Range Mode can deliver, the system should accomodate.

I'm not sure that battery cooling is tied to cabin cooling to a large extent, if at all.

I may choose to drive with the AC off completely even in very hot weather. In theory, that is. That shouldn't compromise battery cooling which must be a largely independent system.

I'm not sure that battery cooling is tied to cabin cooling to a large extent, if at all.

I may choose to drive with the AC off completely even in very hot weather. In theory, that is. That shouldn't compromise battery cooling which must be a largely independent system.
The Roadster shared the A/C between the cabin/battery pack. I didn't think that the Model S did that, but my car seems to go from blowing very cold air to warm, then back to cold. This is with the temp set to LO, and A/C fan speed set to 11. Does anybody else see this? I can't figure out if it's a software bug, or pack cooling taking place.

From what I understand the there are three cooling pumps. They are shared by the cabin AC and battery pack. On my S85, one of the three pumps was weak and noisy. It was fine until I used the Supercharger for the first time. It then complained and said to take it to service. The pump was replaced, the message went away, and the noise subsided considerably. Seems like there is a systemic issue but not serious other than the noise. Give them some time...they will get it resolved with software.

The battery heating sure is. If you set range mode, the battery and the cabin are both not very warm after pre-heating.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point, but I would have to think that Tesla thought this through. Many people will want or need to use Range Mode for a variety of reasons, but if the battery requires cooling beyond what Range Mode can deliver, the system should accomodate.

In the winter I use range mode a lot, although I try to remember to turn it off at night so I can pre-heat effectively. In summer, I'm thinking it might be like range charging. Do it when you need to, but not otherwise. But I don't know, which is why I asked.

In the winter I use range mode a lot, although I try to remember to turn it off at night so I can pre-heat effectively. In summer, I'm thinking it might be like range charging. Do it when you need to, but not otherwise. But I don't know, which is why I asked.

I personally gave up on Range Mode in the winter because I found it didn't really make any difference in my range. It is likely because I'm usually driving at least 40 miles at a time. It may be beneficial with shorter trips, however.

I mentioned up-thread I was taking my car in today; I just got it back from the Palm Springs service centre this afternoon after they applied SB-14-18-002 for the 14-hamsters-in-a-dryer A/C sound. It does make a significant difference and some of the weirder noises haven't happened since (yet??). They also applied that fix for the driver B pillar squeak/tap that was really annoying. And a car wash. And a battery fill. And a loaner so that we were able to continue our vacation activities unabated. Thanks Bill @ PS SC!

EDIT: And thanks again @AmpedRealtor for posting the SB so I knew what to ask for.

2nd EDIT: just went over the service log in detail, they also updated the firmware to 5.11(1.59.47) -- was on 5.9(1.51.109), tested the charging cable, and did a bunch of other checking and inspection

Last edited:
From what I understand the there are three cooling pumps. They are shared by the cabin AC and battery pack. On my S85, one of the three pumps was weak and noisy. It was fine until I used the Supercharger for the first time. It then complained and said to take it to service. The pump was replaced, the message went away, and the noise subsided considerably. Seems like there is a systemic issue but not serious other than the noise. Give them some time...they will get it resolved with software.

That's funny. I've complained to tesla and local service center about our car being the loudest at superchargers and AC being louder than a diesel truck and they both said it is normal and nothing they could do. Embarrassing when you take people for a ride on hot day and car is vibrating and loud outside.

I personally gave up on Range Mode in the winter because I found it didn't really make any difference in my range. It is likely because I'm usually driving at least 40 miles at a time. It may be beneficial with shorter trips, however.

Agreed. On a long trip it won't really make a difference. Mine is 25 miles and I can tell the difference. What I'd really wish they'd do is have range mode disabled while charging or pre-heating. In the summer, range mode doesn't make any difference that I can tell.

I can't tell if Tesla is being completely proactive for all owners or was just monitoring these threads as usual, but I was contacted by two different SCs this week about applying a TSB to fix this, one from my usual SC and another one nearby. It was someone other than my usual contact at my local SC, so they didn't know they were already on top of ordering my parts and such. I'm scheduled to have this fixed, along with hopefully a batch of other stuff, on July 9th.