Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine sounds similar, loud grinding noises but with extra constant squeaking... like it needs to be lubricated or something. Can hear it inside the car over the fan on full blast. At least the air is cold!

I'm stopping by the SC tomorrow for an unrelated item and said I wanted someone to listen to it. My car was delivered 3-2014, no idea if I have the dampening material or not.

-m

I just got my car back the service center and once again, the A/C squeaking is still there and sounds exactly the same as before. Those of you that have experienced the squeak, does it sound like mine and has it ever been fixed? Notice how it's worse when starting-up and stopping (near the end of the video).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the technical service bulletin done today and it is a HUGE difference. Compressor is almost undetectable from inside the car now, and much quieter from outside. The vibration transmission is much reduced. Certainly at this point it's not noticeable and no longer an embarrassing issue at all. I am back in love with my car (and I never really fell out.....):smile:

I just got my car back the service center and once again, the A/C squeaking is still there and sounds exactly the same as before. Those of you that have experienced the squeak, does it sound like mine and has it ever been fixed? Notice how it's worse when starting-up and stopping (near the end of the video).

Doesn't sound normal to me.

I had the technical service bulletin done today and it is a HUGE difference. Compressor is almost undetectable from inside the car now, and much quieter from outside. The vibration transmission is much reduced. Certainly at this point it's not noticeable and no longer an embarrassing issue at all. I am back in love with my car (and I never really fell out.....):smile:

I had it done a couple of days ago as well, but I'm not noticing a huge difference at all...maybe the tone of the noise is a little deeper, but it seems to be as loud as ever. I did take a 'before' recording, so I'm just waiting for the ambient temperature to be at a similar level to take the 'after' recording.

Got my car back yesterday after getting the AC TSB applied (amongst other things). Haven't had enough heat to fully test it yet, but the fan ran while the car was charging last night, and seemed quieter. Doing a lot of driving (and supercharging) this weekend and into next week, so I'll be able to give it a real test.

Great that they have a solution that seems to work well. I have noted the loud sound too - at max speed, it's enough that it impacts your ability to have a conversation in the car. I have not noticed the squeaking sound that some others seem to have. I'll ask next time I need to bring it in.

Not scientific of course, but I was sitting in my car today (after a quick rain) and waiting for the defogger to kick on so that I could see (72 outside). I heard a whine like someone else posted up thread. Hadn't heard it before :/

Wow, 250-280 Wh/mi *with* A/C on?! I'm seeing summer-time power usage around 310 Wh/mi (with lows as in the low 200s), but when I turn on the AC I'm immediately in the 370-380 Wh/mi range. :-(

Are other people seeing the AC power impact as minimal?

FlasherZ I have a 2010 Prius. It's not only stronger but the air blows better than the Tesla as well. And it's super quiet. I will ask for the fix next time I'm at the SC. Seems like the way to go. But yes, the AC has negligible effect on the Model S' range compared to the heater. I've been averaging 250-280Wh/mi here in NJ with the AC on all of the time. I guess it is super efficient!

Wow, 250-280 Wh/mi *with* A/C on?! I'm seeing summer-time power usage around 310 Wh/mi (with lows as in the low 200s), but when I turn on the AC I'm immediately in the 370-380 Wh/mi range. :-(

Are other people seeing the AC power impact as minimal?

I drove over 100 miles a few days ago in 107 degree desert heat with AC set at 72 and in range mode. My average energy consumption for that trip, mostly freeway miles at 70 MPH, was 273 Wh/mi. The terrain was generally flat.