Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service advisor calls and says that the AC job would take too long (5+ hours), that they'd do it only if they can reproduce it (and, yesterday turned out to be a weirdly cold day here) and that it could either be the blanket/bracket service bulletin or a different condenser-related bulletin. So, no dice yesterday given that the car was valeted back and forth from my workplace (poor me :)) and no loaner was offered.

Got the armor plate, firmware update and car wash yesterday and nothing more. They couldn't repro the rattling either. Not the defog vents either despite having the parts ordered weeks out.

I thought the whole point of a TSB was that they would perform the service on applicable vehicles regardless of whether or not they could reproduce the problem? A problem had already been proven to occur in that model of vehicle; thus the TSB.

This "can't reproduce the problem" nonsense is bringing back memories of my experience with NADA (or their Canadian equivalent). Not something Tesla wants to get in a habit of doing.

I thought the whole point of a TSB was that they would perform the service on applicable vehicles regardless of whether or not they could reproduce the problem? A problem had already been proven to occur in that model of vehicle; thus the TSB.

This "can't reproduce the problem" nonsense is bringing back memories of my experience with NADA (or their Canadian equivalent). Not something Tesla wants to get in a habit of doing.

Yeah, that's a great point. Up until now, all reports I had heard of people getting TSB's taken care of on their car, most of them were done without the customer even HAVING to ask for it. "Hey, while you had your car in here, we went ahead and replaced your 12V battery just in case"... "Oh! Thanks! I didn't even know that was an issue"

This is why I specifically said he might be good to send a letter to the ownership email address about this, since that is not really a path I want to see Tesla heading down. I assume it is just that one SC and I know he has said he has had pretty great service thus far, but I really want to see Tesla continue to be a leader in how it handles problems with its cars. Last thing we need is for NADA to have fuel for their claims about Tesla not taking care of something they know is a problem because it is an inconvenience to the company.

C'mon people... Let's support our car company. Why would they go out and fix everything when it's working fine for the vast majority of people? That makes no sense. My experience has been great...if I have an issue, they take care of it. I don't expect, or even want them to go through the car and fix every problem that a few others may have experienced. Once they have evolved into a larger company, maybe I'll expect more. That said, they have always taken care of my issues.

C'mon people... Let's support our car company. Why would they go out and fix everything when it's working fine for the vast majority of people? That makes no sense.

No, that's exactly what TSB's are for. You bring a vehicle in for service and they run down the list of applicable TSB's. The issues they deal with will have already been corrected in newly produced cars. They just need some way to apply the same fix to older cars. That's your TSB.

The only thing that's debatable here is whether you should go in on your own or whether they proactively contact you about them. This last part seems to vary by service center.

I only want them to fix problems that I bring to their attention plus anything that involves safety. I suspect that the TSB has requirements associated with it...they have never said anything to me about my 12V battery, so I can only conclude that it is done if they see other symptoms. I don't want to be a Tesla fan boy but I really am amazed by how everything works with them. Go ask someone how Fisker worked out for them and you will probably appreciate Tesla's track record a whole lot more.

C'mon people... Let's support our car company. Why would they go out and fix everything when it's working fine for the vast majority of people? That makes no sense. My experience has been great...if I have an issue, they take care of it. I don't expect, or even want them to go through the car and fix every problem that a few others may have experienced. Once they have evolved into a larger company, maybe I'll expect more. That said, they have always taken care of my issues.

I agree in principle as long as it is not a safety related issue BUT I am part of a club of 70+ owners and the grand majority of those I talk to have this unacceptably loud compressor noise. From my sample I would not say as you have that it is working fine for the vast majority of cars. I would actually conclude the vast majority probably DO have the issue.

No, that's exactly what TSB's are for. You bring a vehicle in for service and they run down the list of applicable TSB's. The issues they deal with will have already been corrected in newly produced cars. They just need some way to apply the same fix to older cars. That's your TSB..

Tesla does work it that way much of the time, but every other car manufacturer (as far as I know) only does TSBs if the customer requests it. It's the SSCs that they run though the list and do them when the car comes in for service.

An example is the defroster vents. I'm in Texas so defrosting isn't a huge problem and I like the clean look of the original dash, so I haven't had them apply that TSB. If I lived in Toronto it would be another story.

just took delivery. one of the first things i notice is that when you leave the car and AC and other systems shut down, you can hear the loud AC motor and subsequent chirping as its winding down to a stop. the chirping is very loud and annoying. is that normal? do you think my recent production would have included the acoustic blanket and bracket update for the AC motor?? or is this normal?

See my video earlier in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-AC-compressor?p=679725&viewfull=1#post679725

Mine squeaks/chirps not just when the A/C starts or stops, but also the entire time it is on. So annoying and super embarrassing when strangers begin asking why my car is making such an awful sound.

No, that's exactly what TSB's are for. You bring a vehicle in for service and they run down the list of applicable TSB's. The issues they deal with will have already been corrected in newly produced cars. They just need some way to apply the same fix to older cars. That's your TSB.

The only thing that's debatable here is whether you should go in on your own or whether they proactively contact you about them. This last part seems to vary by service center.

I believe that bringing your car current on TSBs occurs prior to initial delivery and then when you have your paid annual maintenance. Some service centers will do it as a courtesy when your car is in for other warranty repairs, but this is not consistent from SC to SC. However, I believe anyone who brings their car in for paid annual service should receive all the TSBs.

- - - Updated - - -

See my video earlier in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-AC-compressor?p=679725&viewfull=1#post679725

Mine squeaks/chirps not just when the A/C starts or stops, but also the entire time it is on. So annoying and super embarrassing when strangers begin asking why my car is making such an awful sound.

Ken, my car doesn't sound like that when the fans are spinning down. In fact, my car has none of that squeaking. My car is almost a year old with almost 11,000 miles. I can also hear in your video what sounds like friction. Based on your video, your fans spin down and stop much faster than mine. This would make sense if something is rubbing or causing friction. I would definitely have it looked at, that squeaking noise is not normal. If it were, I should have it too.

Ken, my car doesn't sound like that when the fans are spinning down. In fact, my car has none of that squeaking. My car is almost a year old with almost 11,000 miles. I can also hear in your video what sounds like friction. Based on your video, your fans spin down and stop much faster than mine. This would make sense if something is rubbing or causing friction. I would definitely have it looked at, that squeaking noise is not normal. If it were, I should have it too.

Yes. I think it is not normal, but is somewhat common. I've heard it on several cars already, but none as bad as mine. Mine has been doing that since day one. I'm now at over 1 year and 25,000 miles. The service center has worked on it at least three or four times. Each time, it seems to be exactly the same or worse. This last attempt made it worse, and it is actually even louder and more obnoxious than the video.

There are two types of TSB's on the schedule - the first type are the "mandatory" TSB's, things to be done any time a car is in for service. The second type are the "on request" TSB's, things to be done based on customer complaint. Not all TSB's are done on all cars.

That said, if a TSB exists for a specific problem, and the customer complains about it, reproducing it shouldn't necessarily be required.

My car is in the shop for something else and I have a loaner this weekend. My car didn't make a lot of noise with the AC, but this car has air suspension and I though an airplane was flying overhead. My wife asked me what that noise was. I turned off the climate control and then it went away. Turned it back on and after a couple minutes it came back. I'll tell the center, but I haven't noticed it in my car, but maybe I haven't had the compressor going a lot.

As a side note, this loaner has charging issues and can't get past 27/27 AMPs.

Anyone looking to buy an inventory S60, I'd stay away from the white from the Burlingame service center. I am thrilled to have a loaner though, as the last few times I didn't have a loaner, so I'm not complaining. The people at the center have been great from a customer service perspective. I'm hoping this is my last visit till my annual visit as I've been in about 5 or 6 times since owning the car for only 3 months.

This may have been posted (I haven't reread the full thread recently) but in case not...

Concern: Client reports that A/C compressor is making a loud humming noise from front of
vehicle, please check and advise. Client requests acoustic cover installation.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
Tested A/C and verified humming noise present from compressor. Concern applicable to
SB-14-18-002.
Corrections: Install Acoustic Cover And Bracket
Installed acoustic cover and new bracket. Verified humming noise is now quieter during
A/C operation.
Part Quantity
MDL S, COMPRESSOR NVH COVER
(1028988-00-A)
BRKT AC COMP TO AC BRKT (1006079-00-D)

In followup regarding my above posts #73 (video of compressor noise) and #130 (about being proactively contacted by Tesla SC offering a fix), I just had my P85+ returned to my front door this evening with the new blanket/bracket installed. Definitely sounds quieter and lower pitched whine now. Pretty amazing service.

update from me also - the very loud chirping/hamster wheel at shut down was resolved at the San Diego service center on Monday. they replicated the noise and replaced both condenser units and now it's DRAMATICALLY quieter. there is a still a faint winding down noise when it shuts down, but that is normal and a very acceptable decibel level. in fact it would probably go unnoticed by any passerby, whereas the hamster wheel noise would cause people to look and wonder.

TWO THUMBS UP to Dave, Brian and the techs at San Diego Service Center for the successful repair and reaching out to me after my forum post!!!! very awesome first time service experience. doesn't hurt that i got a brand new S85 in MC red with grey 21's as a loaner :love:.

Concern: Vehicle generates squealing / chirping sounds after exiting the vehicle

Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis

verified the customer complaint. Replaced the complete condenser modules both right and left. Recovered .77 KG Refrigerant and charged .79 kg. AC performence,90F ambient with 33F degrees blowing from vents post repair.

Corrections: Condenser - Gas Cool
Removed and replaced the condenser

Part Quantity

ASY, CONDENSER-FAN MODULE, GAS COOL (6007352-00-C)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Condenser - Sub-cool

Removed and replaced the condenser

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

ASY, CONDENSER-FAN MODULE, SUB
COOL (6008357-00-D)

My "hamster-wheel" squeaking is also dramatically better after replacing both condenser fans for the second time. The wind-down still chirps slightly, but I'll take this over what I had before where I could hear my wife coming home from a block away.

Mine doesn't have the hamster-wheel noise, but it sounds like a jet-engine when the AC is on. My SC also said they applied the bracket and blanket, but it still sounds like a jet engine or a couple of vacuum cleaners tied together. It doesn't vibrate the brake pedal as much anymore but I can still feel the vibration in the brake pedal when the compressor is running.

It's actually pretty embarrassing to turn on the A/C remotely and walk to my car while seeing others walking by wondering what that loud noise is coming from my car. When people ask me about it, I tell them it's the A/C and a few of them would tell me they thought the Model S was supposed to be quiet. I no longer go through any explanation and tell them they got it wrong and that it's loud in the summer and quiet in the winter.