Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's funny how as the thread owner and how I even posted recording above that I haven't got contacted yet everyone else has lol. Perhaps that's because I'm over 50k miles and out of warranty and the good service is over? I'm hoping that's not the case. They should have me on record complaining back this way back summer of 2013 because if I recall i think they even responded in the service notes saying that they don't have a fix for it yet and this was way back somewhere between 10-20k mile marker. We'll see. I'm actually scheduled for some service work soon anyway due to some other pre-50k issues I've had that they've noted so perhaps they'll just tack this onto that as well.

I just checked. They have me on file complaining about the AC back in Sept 13 when I was at 22.9k miles. In the report they marked this as normal. But in person they told me tesla was very aware of it and was working on it but there was not a fix yet.

4ymydaju.jpg

You are spinning the AC motor REALLY fast at that point which is what that noise is. Anything with a fast enough spin will have some kind of noise it is amazing it stays quiet as long as it does ;)

I don't think that's it or it would be related to speed, not power. There is no transmission and the motor's rotational speed is always directly proportional to road speed. FWIW, I have an S85 and have never once had the balloon squeal sound in over a year of ownership.

I don't think that's it or it would be related to speed, not power. There is no transmission and the motor's rotational speed is always directly proportional to road speed. FWIW, I have an S85 and have never once had the balloon squeal sound in over a year of ownership.

hrmmm I think I need a reeducation in how this car works... Could it be the big power converter on the left side that makes the noise then?
motor.PNG

My understanding of what is going on here with this photo, the left side is the AC/DC converter. That feeds AC power directly into the AC motor on the right. That spins the gearing you see in the middle.

So from the pedal neutral position (coasting) when you push down it tells the computer to increase the amount of power going into the AC/DC converter in order to directly feel more power into the AC motor to make it spin faster. When you lift up it tells the computer to draw power away from the AC motor in order to reverse the flow and make DC power go back into the battery.

On a basic level, this is how I understand the mechanics of the car, is that correct? So then the "noise" you hear when you are at high kW on your power gauge would in-fact be coming from the AC/DC converter? right? If that is the case, I think I was just confusing the terms up above, and in which case I am sorry. If this is not how it works at all, then can someone clear up how my car works please? haha!

Note: references to AC/DC is not to be confused with the Band, AC/DC :p

So, I don't know if it was because I replied to this thread last weekend, or because I had inquired about the AC noise a few months back - but I got a call on Tuesday from the local service center offering for me to bring the car the next day for the "acoustic blanket". I got it installed yesterday. It definitely "muffles" the sound....but its still loud. Having said that...the sound never really bothered me (as you can read in my post last weekend), and still doesn't.

I continue to be amazed at their incredible customer service. They told me to bring in both keys, and they would replace the exterior if it was scratched (which it wasn't, because I use a USB condom on them!), said I should bring in my charging cord and adapter to be checked, they washed it, rotated the tires, upgraded to 5.11 (which doesn't appear to have any meaningful differences from 5.9) and a whole host of other diagnostics. As an accountant, I do wonder how long this model is sustainable (and their accounting model for it!). But I definitely appreciate it. I'm sure it is in hopes that we all tout how amazing the car ownership experience is, and I suspect we are all doing that! I just hope the economics continue to play out, to allow the company continued growth!!

As an accountant, I do wonder how long this model is sustainable (and their accounting model for it!). But I definitely appreciate it. I'm sure it is in hopes that we all tout how amazing the car ownership experience is, and I suspect we are all doing that! I just hope the economics continue to play out, to allow the company continued growth!!

It shouldn't be all that difficult to make the accounting work, if Tesla is serious about not profiting from vehicle service. They'd have all the extra funds that traditional service centers would just pocket as profit to pay for the services you experienced. The trick is not using an ICE dealership as a baseline.

just took delivery. one of the first things i notice is that when you leave the car and AC and other systems shut down, you can hear the loud AC motor and subsequent chirping as its winding down to a stop. the chirping is very loud and annoying. is that normal? do you think my recent production would have included the acoustic blanket and bracket update for the AC motor?? or is this normal?

My model S was made in February of this year. So far, I haven't heard anything abnormal. Just the normal motor running with a reasonable sound. And I hope it stays like that.

Given your northern location I recommend you find an excuse to make both your battery and car very hot requiring AC to really test this out. Because I am willing to bet you haven't noticed anything too much because you haven't gotten it warm enough yet. My car was made in March of this year, so it is very likely you have the same issue. Might be worth asking your service center about.

Given your northern location I recommend you find an excuse to make both your battery and car very hot requiring AC to really test this out. Because I am willing to bet you haven't noticed anything too much because you haven't gotten it warm enough yet. My car was made in March of this year, so it is very likely you have the same issue. Might be worth asking your service center about.
Actually we've seen hot days and the interior was burning at times. I even tinted the windows because I couldn't take it anymore. I don't have an indoor parking, and believe me, it gets really hot when it's sunny and humid.

I had my Sig S in for the underbody armor last week and asked them to look into the A/C noise while it was there. They decided to install the acoustic cover and bracket, but it's been relatively cool these last few days so I don't know how much of a difference it will make.

As far as the balloon squeal goes, I've never had it on this car. I've got a low moan that starts at around 75mph, but no balloon noises.

With the 100+ days returning, so have my loud squeals from the the AC. As others have noted, it is only when the AC is at full blast. Once the car cools down, it is acceptable. That first 10-15 minutes can be embarrassing at times though.

I think my biggest issue with it is just mostly that it vibrates the car more than the noise itself. Just today as we were heading home from work I could feel it in the steering wheel and the pedals.

Well, so much for them proactively reaching out to make an appointment for this (about three weeks ago). Got an appointment for yesterday and asked for the following:

- AC blanket/bracket
- Underbody armor
- Front defog vents retrofit (had them order the parts from Fremont; the three week gap was just for this)
- Minor/infrequent rattling in front right door panel
- Firmware update to 5.11

The service advisor calls and says that the AC job would take too long (5+ hours), that they'd do it only if they can reproduce it (and, yesterday turned out to be a weirdly cold day here) and that it could either be the blanket/bracket service bulletin or a different condenser-related bulletin. So, no dice yesterday given that the car was valeted back and forth from my workplace (poor me :)) and no loaner was offered.

Got the armor plate, firmware update and car wash yesterday and nothing more. They couldn't repro the rattling either. Not the defog vents either despite having the parts ordered weeks out.

My first so-so experience with the Burlingame service center although the valet service is always great, very convenient and much appreciated.

Back to Range Mode for me.

Well, so much for them proactively reaching out to make an appointment for this (about three weeks ago). Got an appointment for yesterday and asked for the following:

- AC blanket/bracket
- Underbody armor
- Front defog vents retrofit (had them order the parts from Fremont; the three week gap was just for this)
- Minor/infrequent rattling in front right door panel
- Firmware update to 5.11

The service advisor calls and says that the AC job would take too long (5+ hours), that they'd do it only if they can reproduce it (and, yesterday turned out to be a weirdly cold day here) and that it could either be the blanket/bracket service bulletin or a different condenser-related bulletin. So, no dice yesterday given that the car was valeted back and forth from my workplace (poor me :)) and no loaner was offered.

Got the armor plate, firmware update and car wash yesterday and nothing more. They couldn't repro the rattling either. Not the defog vents either despite having the parts ordered weeks out.

My first so-so experience with the Burlingame service center although the valet service is always great, very convenient and much appreciated.

Back to Range Mode for me.

slightly off topic, what is the defog vents retrofit? is this something recent or an older issue? Sorry you didn't get them to fix the issue for you, I would write a letter to corporate to complain about this in all honesty, since we all know this is a real issue.

note: I am not trying to get anyone in trouble here. I am sure they are just trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability.