Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how that relates to A123 and GM? My take is that GM chose the LG Chem cells over A123 for the Volt and are probably no longer working with A123, but that may be an incorrect assumption.

They did choose the LG Chem for the Volt, but have maintained their relationship with A123 and may use them for other applications such as their EU version of the Volt.

No Who is on third.....

Evan apparently made the transposition by mistake because the article he cites properly refers to GE as this discussion does.
I don't know who's on third....:biggrin:
They did choose the LG Chem for the Volt, but have maintained their relationship with A123 and may use them for other applications such as their EU version of the Volt.
He was talking about GM, not GE.

After Gutenberg » Is Lithium Cobalt Oxide Still in the Running?

OGRON BV is a Dutch company that wants to bring this breakthrough technology to the rechargeable lithium battery market. Professor Joop Schoonman, science director at the Delft Center for Sustainable Energy, will be making a presentation during the 5th International Symposium of Large Ion Battery Technology and Application, which will take place June 8 - 10, 2009 in Long Beach, California, USA. Company representatives plan to demonstrate the technology with a standard car that has been converted to electric drive and equipped with a 70 kWh of these new batteries. The company claims the electric vehicle will have a 500 km range and the battery module will be capable of an 80% recharge within 5 minutes.

Link to company: http://www.ogron.eu/en/news-en.html

Last edited:
Company representatives plan to demonstrate the technology with a standard car that has been converted to electric drive and equipped with a 70 kWh of these new batteries. The company claims the electric vehicle will have a 500 km range and the battery module will be capable of an 80% recharge within 5 minutes.

That really is good enough for more than 310 miles (~500km). Should be interesting.

I don't know who's on third....:biggrin:
He was talking about GM, not GE.
Just to confuse everyone, GE did make an EV-1 (motor controller)
7478412.jpg

BASF to develop 350-mile e-car 'super battery' • Register Hardware

German firm BASF and US company Sion Power have agreed to co-develop a battery technology with the potential to deliver five times the capacity of a conventional lithium-ion battery of the same size.

The battery is based on lithium-sulphur chemistry, which Sion’s been tinkering with for some time. Now it's time to take the technology and put it to practical use.

I've had my eye on Sion power for a while. If BASF can help them crack the life cycle issues, it could get very interesting.

Press release.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad some of the DOE money is going to Nano tech. I'd like to see more going to getting to develope large scale manufacturing processes as much as research.

Love this mouthful:
hybrid nano carbon fiber/graphene platelet-based high-capacity anodes

Last edited:
I wrote:

The author covered the cost of batteries and touched on the price of electricity to fill those batteries but failed to mention the price of gasoline. Either todays price of $3ish or last year’s $4 price. Surely it will increase beyond that as it historically has always slowly crept up and passed previous records.
Cogan says,“There’s a shroud of denial that regularly excludes the real cost of battery electric vehicles from discussion of their considerable benefits,” ”
So what about the Federal spending that shrouds the real cost of the gasoline used to propel today’s cars? The $1Trillion price of wars in lands we want the oil from (even WW1 was a war for oil) the uncalculatble cost of 10s of thousands of American and foreign lives and then there are the subsities we keep giving to the oil companies even while they record breaking profit every quarter. Why do we have to keep giving them money? Because they threaten to raise gasoline prices on us as opposed to only making a reasonable profit?
Estimates say the true cost of gasoline in the US should be about $15 dollars a gallon and that certainly jives with European prices a $10 a gallon.
Batteries are at least recyclable. Gasoline burns up once and fills our lungs with stuff.