Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the way to market EV's is to have different levels of battery pack. You have the base model with 50 mile range, then 100, then 200, etc. Design it so that range upgrades in the future aren't too difficult. The pack in my conversion will cost around $4K including shipping from China and across the US to my door and give me between 30-40 miles of range, all I need. I'm sure there are others with similar needs who would be happy with a $15-$20K 50 mile range EV who don't feel like making their own.

In the meanwhile, Imara (also located in Menlo Park) launched their first product, high-power 18650 lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide cells.

Cycle performance, while perhaps not as impressive as AltairNano's, is supperior to common LiCo chemistry. Energy density parameters of 350 Wh/L, and a gravimetric density of 135 Wh/kg are also pretty impressive given such high cycle life. Cost?
attachment.php?attachmentid=413&stc=1&d=1253556298.jpg

Attachments

• imara cycle life chart.JPG
    imara cycle life chart.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 426
As a followup to my previous post, I recalled a really good overview of current lithium-ion chemistries in Jeff Dahn's presentation at IBM Almaden Institute 2009.

attachment.php?attachmentid=415&stc=1&d=1253567085.jpg

“In our opinion, the cathode materials can be ranked from most safe to least safe in the following order LiFePO4, Li[Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3]O2, Li1+xMn2-xO4, LiCoO2, Li[Ni0.7Co0.2Ti0.05Mg0.05]O2, LiNi0.8Co0.2O2, LiNiO2.”
D.D. MacNeil et al. - Journal of Power Sources 108, 8–14, (2002).
Adding Al to Li[Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3-zAlz]O2 improves the safety even more!
To sum up, this chemistry has capacity parameters close to that of lithium-cobalt-oxide, better power capacity (hello quick-charge), safety close to that phosphates (A123) and better than titanates (AltairNano), and improved cycle life.

Now, as far as cost is concerned, there is potential for cost reduction as far as raw materials are concerned. Here are some prices for metals ($/lb)
Cobalt 43.25
Manganese .86
Nickel 7.87

Attachments

• JeffDahn-AlmadenInstitute2009 pg8.JPG
    JeffDahn-AlmadenInstitute2009 pg8.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 411