Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a battery has fast discharge capability it has low internal resistance and won't be stressed by high current draws, or C rates, and should prolong cycle life. Also a smaller pack can put out higher power without damage. Usually fast discharge also translates into fast charge acceptance as well though it may not be symmetrical.

If a battery has fast discharge capability it has low internal resistance and won't be stressed by high current draws, or C rates, and should prolong cycle life. Also a smaller pack can put out higher power without damage. Usually fast discharge also translates into fast charge acceptance as well though it may not be symmetrical.

Thanks for the reply.

So do the Dow Kokam cells and some are experimenting with the hobby LiPoly cells that can do 90C! Might be the highest power density yet. Of course Current Eliminator was using Altairnano's NanoSafe cells which also has high C rates, don't know if they are still racing.

I've been using the cell phone analogy a long time now when I talk to people. It's so true. Not to mention, there hasn't been a need for a long battery life, because the consumer electronics are usually replaced after 3 years or so, making a battery to last longer was pointless until recently.

Non-tech writers shouldn't write tech articles. "The pallet-size batteries were destined for a shipping container that ultimately would hold 1 megawatt of power." Wow, 1 megawatt of power! What's that equivalent to? 6 hundred feet of gasoline?

On edit: Sorry, I meant square feet.

In this video Balqon exec claims they've tripled energy capacity in 18 months and expect to see the same in another 18 months. I'm not sure what he's talking about since they are using Winston, (Thunder Sky), cells which have certainly not tripled their energy capacity in the last 18 months but I know they are working on a newer denser lithium sulfur cell. Unless Balqon is already using the lithium sulfur cell.
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/67197946/