Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the big fat butt!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I think I've figured out why I can't reverse this vehicle in any kind of a straight line - it ALWAYS ends up crooked! šŸ¤¬

I'm a bloke, so I have to have this skill ... spatial awareness and all that. Well I looked in the mirror the other day[1] and I realised that the back is a little bit broader than the front (reminds me of my old girlfriend) and if you don't take that into consideration you'll end up parking it just a little crooked

[1] Am I the only one who doesn't like the way the mirrors turn down in reverse? I think it's a selectable feature, but regardless, when I reverse I want to see behind me ... not the kerb I'm about to run into. I have to crouch down really low to see where I'm going. It's really annoying

I think I've figured out why I can't reverse this vehicle in any kind of a straight line - it ALWAYS ends up crooked! šŸ¤¬

I'm a bloke, so I have to have this skill ... spatial awareness and all that. Well I looked in the mirror the other day[1] and I realised that the back is a little bit broader than the front (reminds me of my old girlfriend) and if you don't take that into consideration you'll end up parking it just a little crooked

[1] Am I the only one who doesn't like the way the mirrors turn down in reverse? I think it's a selectable feature, but regardless, when I reverse I want to see behind me ... not the kerb I'm about to run into. I have to crouch down really low to see where I'm going. It's really annoying
Iā€˜d like only the passenger side mirror to angle down for paralell parking but I havenā€™t been able to figure out how to do that..yet.

Haha yes, I have this same issue. I always back into spaces crooked. And I'm always afraid one of the back corners is going to hit something. The is my first backup camera so I'm still getting used to it. I doesn't bother me much. I actually enjoy then challenge and am gradually getting better at it. And I turned off the backup mirror tilt within a week of owning it - not for me. I believe you can adjust them so they only tilt down a small amount.

88xxx, Dec. 2020 build MYLR

I don't think the backup camera "lines" are perfectly calibrated, and the side cameras aren't identical in their calibration. It has taken me several months to learn how to place my car straight, with equal gaps on either sides, parallel to the painted lines.

I don't think it's the very slightly larger "butt" of the MY.

Oh, and how DARE you fat-shame the MY. The MY has enough criticism to endure. A moderator should immediately step in and discipline you, remove your post. šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

• Funny
Reactions: andaconda
Yes, the auto-down mirrors is a setting. I actually have more trouble parking straight in than backing in.... I backed into my driveway for about 8 months after getting the car as I had no garage space, so I got that down pretty good. For some reason, pulling in forward I almost always end up slightly angled. I think it's because - not being able to see the nose of the car - I use the top of the dash to align myself, and that's curved so I always end up a bit skewed....