Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the law: Electric cars must make noise after September 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha, no worries, my 2013 S makes a ton of noise already. Whenever I tap the brake pedal (really annoying brake vacuum pump BUZZING that would wake the dead) the noise keeps going for ~10 sec. Tesla Service says "it's normal," which when translated to English means "We refuse to fix it.'"

If normally silent component starts to make noise, it will fail sooner or later. Brakes will still work, but need lot of pedal force. I'm not sure if driver half of my weight could produce enough force.

I have to use rather long private gravel road. It is so narrow that it is not possible to pass pedestrians, if they don't notice car coming. Very often they don't notice. I drive an old, not most silent ICE. If I would trust pedestrians to hear my car and move away, I would knock down a pedestrian once a week.

So an EV will have irritating noise added. If drivers trust pedestrians to hear that, accident will increase.

My house is not beside that road, but others are. For safety I have to pass those houses < 30 km/h. It is also speed limit. I sometimes drive after midnight. Of course no noise is necessary in dark (no street lights).

This is one of most idiotic laws ever made.

How about a flag man ... :cool:

get

Tesla should implement enough autopilot / automatic braking features that its new cars will absolutely refuse to hit pedestrians when going less than 20 mph -- I believe Tesla can do this easily -- and then make a very public request for a waiver from the noisemaker regulation, on the grounds that it does not enhance safety since pedestrians don't need to see the car if it won't hit them.

While I look forward to the day when crossing a 7 lane intersection on foot is no longer an experience of obnoxious noise, waste heat, and exhaust fumes... I'm not so sure the cacophony of "idle tones" will be a pleasant thing.
That's why this rule has to be removed. *After* the cars are programmed so that they *can't* run people over.

I have experienced the latter problem with the LEAF in having to roll down my window and warn someone standing next to my car chatting with the driver of the car in the next parking slot, "Excuse me, I need to back out..." Of course, that could still happen, even with a sound effect.
Yeah, that'll still happen. :-(

The 4 Laws of Carbotics:
  • A car may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A car must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A car must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
  • A car must obey traffic laws as long as the first three laws are satisfied.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Proof again that "regulations add weight to cars".

..but not too worried..

All our cars are grandfathered... so you don't have to worry either. At least we're not guilty contributing to the noise pollution.

For new owners, starting that day... if this becomes regulation in my country, there's probably not a cop in town who would know enough or care enough to make this enforceable and write a ticket for it... if supposing the wire were to break, or something terrible like that were to happen. :rolleyes:

I just hope Tesla doesn't overthink this, and overspend on the solution with laser guided sound packets targeting the ears of identified pedestrial objects .... a 25 cent speaker with clearly labeled wire "sound emitter" in a user convenient spot for administering treatment. And be done with it. They get the "comply" checkmark, and the rest is in our hands. Maybe get energetic and pull the speaker out to reclaim the weight savings, and that's 25 cents down the drain... not $270...

Last edited:
Reactions: Justified
Proof again that "regulations add weight to cars".

..but not too worried..

All our cars are grandfathered... so you don't have to worry either. At least we're not guilty contributing to the noise pollution.

For new owners, starting that day... if this becomes regulation in my country, there's probably not a cop in town who would know enough or care enough to make this enforceable and write a ticket for it... if supposing the wire were to break, or something terrible like that were to happen. :rolleyes:

I just hope Tesla doesn't overthink this, and overspend on the solution with laser guided sound packets targeting the ears of identified pedestrial objects .... a 25 cent speaker with clearly labeled wire "sound emitter" in a user convenient spot for administering treatment. And be done with it. They get the "comply" checkmark, and the rest is in our hands. Maybe get energetic and pull the speaker out to reclaim the weight savings, and that's 25 cents down the drain... not $270...

This, so much this... I'm hoping that being an early morning in-store reservation holder that the first batch of model 3 shipments won't have this ridiculous requirement built in. But if it does, please make it to where it can easily be disabled... please...

You never know. Based on the schematics released earlier this year, the pedestrian noise unit may have already been installed in 2016 models, just waiting for a software update to become active! :eek:

Uh oh... if it's software OTA that might take Tesla 20 tries to get it turned on and working right. v8.5 will have your USB playlist blaring full volume out the pedestrian speaker. ...only on cars with the power liftgate and solid glass roof combo (due to unsolvable antenna conflict)... but at least everyone will get the cover art and sorting order of USB finally working right in the media app in that same release. Whoo hoo! Only then does some hacker named Jason figure out the pedestrian speaker is in fact, bluetooth enabled. And by plugging in a bluetooth dongle to the other USB port you can hack and make the car say anything from an App on your phone. But overall, a win for many drivers... because, you know, playlists are important.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dgpcolorado