Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's time for Tesla to provide MCU2 and HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
We have a 2017 S 100D wtih MCU1 and AP2 - and when we get new software updates (still waiting for the "holiday" update), we're getting fewer and fewer features in each release.

Our 2018 X 100D with MCU2 and AP2.5, is getting more of the features, but is still falling short because we don't have the HW3 processor.

With our 2012 S P85, we received years of software updates adding new features, except when our vehicle was missing specific hardware (like AP), getting all of the new software features present in the new vehicles.

With the change in MCU and AP hardware, that has changed - and recent vehicles are being excluded from an increasing number of features. More likely due to Tesla's decision not to carry over the changes to the older processors (possibly because they didn't design in source code compatibility), than with hardware limitations. For example, the MCU1 processor, when parked, should be able to stream videos.

We'd seriously consider a reasonably priced MCU2 upgrade for our 2017 S 100D, if that would put us back on track for getting all of the new software features.

And Tesla should accelerate the HW3 upgrades. We purchased FSD on both of our vehicles - Musk even promised FSD owners would get "early access" to new software update before they were distributed to the rest of the fleet. But we aren't able to see the "FSD preview" included in the "holiday" release, because our two FSD vehicles don't yet have the HW3 processor.

It seems Tesla is going through great pain upgrading hw2 to hw3. As leased cars are expiring, I wonder if it’s easier for them to give people *huge* discount to upgrade to the latest version.

I'd take that. 10k plus transfer of FSD would be sufficient where I had no hard feelings. I'd still obviously pay some money towards the new car.

We have a 2017 S 100D wtih MCU1 and AP2 - and when we get new software updates (still waiting for the "holiday" update), we're getting fewer and fewer features in each release.

Our 2018 X 100D with MCU2 and AP2.5, is getting more of the features, but is still falling short because we don't have the HW3 processor.

With our 2012 S P85, we received years of software updates adding new features, except when our vehicle was missing specific hardware (like AP), getting all of the new software features present in the new vehicles.

With the change in MCU and AP hardware, that has changed - and recent vehicles are being excluded from an increasing number of features. More likely due to Tesla's decision not to carry over the changes to the older processors (possibly because they didn't design in source code compatibility), than with hardware limitations. For example, the MCU1 processor, when parked, should be able to stream videos.

We'd seriously consider a reasonably priced MCU2 upgrade for our 2017 S 100D, if that would put us back on track for getting all of the new software features.

And Tesla should accelerate the HW3 upgrades. We purchased FSD on both of our vehicles - Musk even promised FSD owners would get "early access" to new software update before they were distributed to the rest of the fleet. But we aren't able to see the "FSD preview" included in the "holiday" release, because our two FSD vehicles don't yet have the HW3 processor.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Honestly..... did you read the 4th qtr report.... Tesla built 105,000 vehicles and delivered 112,000... for the quarter.... They don't have the necessary hardware for the updates yet..... Sure they can wait, and I think, you may want to be a little more patient....

Maybe you should have purchased a ICE..... since no older models can get any software/hardware updates..... since that would really fall on deaf ears

I have a 2017 MS as well, I have been delighted to have every software update since, as a car guy, it is simply amazing to me................... I'll be glad when the day comes that I get the Hardware update, since that what I paid for ~3 years ago... I can wait for the perfected system

Finish the text message integration for MCU1 and then you can leave me in the dust. I’m good at that point.

Not sure what if any value I place on the other “features” I’m missing out on right now like video games and YouTube, but I know it’s far less than the $2k being floated for the currently nonexistent replacement.

I figure I’m in for a MCU replacement at some point in the next few years, so I DO hope that there’s an upgrade path at some point, for nothing else than the reliability and longevity. If I’m paying $2k anyway, I suppose I’ll take the one with the built in youtubes.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Honestly..... did you read the 4th qtr report.... Tesla built 105,000 vehicles and delivered 112,000... for the quarter.... They don't have the necessary hardware for the updates yet..... Sure they can wait, and I think, you may want to be a little more patient....

Maybe you should have purchased a ICE..... since no older models can get any software/hardware updates..... since that would really fall on deaf ears

I have a 2017 MS as well, I have been delighted to have every software update since, as a car guy, it is simply amazing to me................... I'll be glad when the day comes that I get the Hardware update, since that what I paid for ~3 years ago... I can wait for the perfected system

There’s no indication that hw3 is the bottle neck. But let’s say it is, the situation can only get worse moving forward. In addition, the service center will be even more crowded. If they can’t do it today, there’s no way they can do it tmr.

On software updates, there are two parts:
1) Not promised features. Nobody expects these features and it’s only released to delight customers.
2) Promised features. People expect these features with promised timeline and they paid for these features.

I hope we can all agree that Tesla did an amazing job on 1 but sucked at 2. Personally I think 2 is more important than 1.
I have mcu1/ap2 car. I don’t have sentry mode, no problem. But no FSD retrofit (or badly delayed), that’s a big red flag.

as a long term investor, I’m worried.

Reactions: PV4EV and croman
Wat? They already are.
For free? For everyone? Call me impressed.

Just googled. Seems like it's only a small group of people, and you can't request appointments for it, you're randomly chosen if you're in for service (or is there more to it?).

I guess time will tell if they decide that's enough good PR and stop doing it altogether -- or actually deliver on their promise.

Reactions: croman
It seems Tesla is going through great pain upgrading hw2 to hw3. As leased cars are expiring, I wonder if it’s easier for them to give people *huge* discount to upgrade to the latest version.

I'd take that. 10k plus transfer of FSD would be sufficient where I had no hard feelings. I'd still obviously pay some money towards the new car.
We bought two AP2/MCU1 cars, selling an AP1 car to upgrade with the promise of FSD. Had we known it was really going to be over 3 years before FSD was out, we would've leased instead. If Tesla were to buy back our cars and deduct a reasonable lease payment for our 3 years of usage, we'd gladly turn in our remaining AP2 car and buy a brand-new AP3 car which already included FSD and FUSC.

For free for everyone that purchased the FSD option. They’ve started with newer S/X cars that came with MCU2 / AP 2.5, and it’s not happening in huge volume yet, but there are many reports on here of people getting the new computer.
Thanks, yeah, I googled and saw that.
I guess time will tell if they decide that's enough good PR and stop doing it altogether -- or actually deliver on their promise.

There’s no indication that hw3 is the bottle neck. But let’s say it is, the situation can only get worse moving forward. In addition, the service center will be even more crowded. If they can’t do it today, there’s no way they can do it tmr.

On software updates, there are two parts:
1) Not promised features. Nobody expects these features and it’s only released to delight customers.
2) Promised features. People expect these features with promised timeline and they paid for these features.

I hope we can all agree that Tesla did an amazing job on 1 but sucked at 2. Personally I think 2 is more important than 1.
I have mcu1/ap2 car. I don’t have sentry mode, no problem. But no FSD retrofit (or badly delayed), that’s a big red flag.

as a long term investor, I’m worried.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, I don't think they are working on the retro-fit kit yet.... knowing what they can get from the current camera's or hardware/software, how and what to change to to make it all work... I do understand the ECU is behind the glove box, so its an easy switch when they get the fix... the camera pod on the fender and in the B-pillar is not as easy of a fix.... but I have no doubt they will get what is needed and be able to teach all the tech's on how to do it...

I do agree with 1 and 2.... But I'm not worried at all....

As mentioned in a few other blogs..... I do believe it is almost impossible to develop a self driving system, but at the same time I do believe Elon has a few more tricks up his sleeve to get to the self driving capability...

Tesla is not there yet...... it might take another year to get there for all of us... I can wait, the auto-pilot capability I have now is great..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Honestly, I don't think they are working on the retro-fit kit yet.... knowing what they can get from the current camera's or hardware/software, how and what to change to to make it all work... I do understand the ECU is behind the glove box, so its an easy switch when they get the fix... the camera pod on the fender and in the B-pillar is not as easy of a fix.... but I have no doubt they will get what is needed and be able to teach all the tech's on how to do it...

I do agree with 1 and 2.... But I'm not worried at all....

As mentioned in a few other blogs..... I do believe it is almost impossible to develop a self driving system, but at the same time I do believe Elon has a few more tricks up his sleeve to get to the self driving capability...

Tesla is not there yet...... it might take another year to get there for all of us... I can wait, the auto-pilot capability I have now is great..

I thought it’s only the chip. Are they gonna retrofit cameras in ap2 to ap3 as well? If they do that, they may also want to retrofit radars too and other diffs, which makes the program hell…

seriously… might be easier to give people a new car to save some service appt. with all these model 3 sold recently, service will have a hard time to catch up…

I have a 2017 90D with HW2. I put in a service request last week for them to fix the yellow band and upgrade me to HW3.
Below the communications with Tesla.
Me to Tesla:
Without getting the HW3 at the next service, there is no point in bringing it in to fix the yellow screen that I has lived with for close to a year now after being promised it would only take few months and would be contacted when a fix was available.
The text msg says that HW3 is coming in waves for specific customers in queue and mine is not available. Quote “Yours is currently not available. Once we receive yours you will contacted to schedule installation.”

What does that mean?
It is not my turn
or
HW2 to HW3 upgrade is not available

If not my turn, there must some kind of criteria to get into queue. What is the criteria, and based on where I am in queue, when will HW3 be available so I can enjoy the latest features of FSD that are not supported by HW2?
or
if no HW2 to HW3 , what is the schedule to resolve this?

Tesla's response:
I can go ahead and cancel your appointment if you like. The fix for the yellowing is available if you choose to proceed now or in the future. Hardware 3 is being shipped for specific VIN’s and yours is not available as we are currently only receiving Hardware 2.5 to 3 retrofits. Hardware 2 to 3 is a different retrofit. There is no criteria or anything you can do to improve your wait time. As long as you’ve purchased Full Self Driving you are in the queue to receive this. There is no schedule at this time for when Hardware 2 to 3 retrofits will be made but we’re anticipating that retrofit to become available later this year. My apologies for the wait!

I paid for something that at the earliest will be close to four years late.

So much for the early adopters.

Reactions: aerodyne and croman