Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Time to Build Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While exciting, this news is almost causing me some trepidation. Perhaps partly out of some odd psychological effect of having waited so long, I am sort of comfortable in that state of anticipation that I don't think I can handle the real thing! haha.

But more so because I feel like it's almost too soon. There's still so much to see and news to hear from Tesla. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable having to lock in my options right now considering how little I've actually seen. We haven't seen all of the colors, nor all the interior options. There haven't even been pictures of all of these options, let alone the ability for me to see them in the flesh. We don't know the full extent of the warranty. And then there's the whole issue of test drives :) I for one would like to see how it drives, and compare the standard car to the performance edition, as I may end up upgrading. I am not in a position to make that call without having driven both. As excited as I am for the Sig folks, I actually don't envy their position. I'd much rather wait a few months and make a more informed purchase.

Many of the sig holders, especially the early ones, are also Roadster owners. I'd say that makes them very informed buyers.

Many of the sig holders, especially the early ones, are also Roadster owners. I'd say that makes them very informed buyers.

we're all in the same boat here when it comes to the Model S. Colors, interior options, precisely how it drives as a sedan (sure the Roadster gives you expectations here), and any other pertinent news from Tesla (detailed warranty info, safety results (though I don't think we care that much), etc.) are things that are still not entirely known. All I'm saying is that Sig holders have some tough, albeit exciting, choices to make with limited info. Of course, given that a lot of the options are picked out for them, this does at least remove some of the guesswork.

Indeed, nearly 3 years of mostly happy driving of the Roadster makes me, personally, very comfortable with committing. Sure, there are things we don't like, but they're fixable. The choice of color, for example. But I'm really happy that the lack of a transmission hump means we can have a flat floor ;-). Pat will still insist on a drive before delivery though. The worst that will happen is that it becomes my car instead of hers...

While exciting, this news is almost causing me some trepidation. Perhaps partly out of some odd psychological effect of having waited so long, I am sort of comfortable in that state of anticipation that I don't think I can handle the real thing! haha.

But more so because I feel like it's almost too soon. There's still so much to see and news to hear from Tesla. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable having to lock in my options right now considering how little I've actually seen. We haven't seen all of the colors, nor all the interior options. There haven't even been pictures of all of these options, let alone the ability for me to see them in the flesh. We don't know the full extent of the warranty. And then there's the whole issue of test drives :) I for one would like to see how it drives, and compare the standard car to the performance edition, as I may end up upgrading. I am not in a position to make that call without having driven both. As excited as I am for the Sig folks, I actually don't envy their position. I'd much rather wait a few months and make a more informed purchase.
I have similar feelings. I guess I keep hoping that they'll adjust some option pricing a bit, or add some options and then give me a few weeks to play around and decide my final configuration--By which, of course, I mean to convince my wife to let me upgrade the paint, interior and stereo!!

I'm going to assume the early configurers (is that a word?) will get some pretty detailed information during their "build session". Hopefully they can share that with us. Grats ggr! (if only I'd committed to sig earlier!)

i also think it's interesting that tesla has for a long time been saying that your configuration would come roughly 3 months before delivery, right? So doing the math - wouldn't that make some of these sigs early July instead of late (or even august)? Or am i reading too much into that :)

- and to the general gist of the thread - i would imagine they'd get a lot more detail during the build session as well, but personally, i don't mind being a few months farther back in the queue (especially since i'm NOT a roadster owner).

i also think it's interesting that tesla has for a long time been saying that your configuration would come roughly 3 months before delivery, right? So doing the math - wouldn't that make some of these sigs early July instead of late (or even august)? Or am i reading too much into that :)

- and to the general gist of the thread - i would imagine they'd get a lot more detail during the build session as well, but personally, i don't mind being a few months farther back in the queue (especially since i'm NOT a roadster owner).

or even late June!

This is fabulous news ggr!!! So very excited for you and us (hoping you share every little detail :cool:) . Posting the full set of options and accessories says a lot for the TM teams to lock down prices and get the whole purchase process running; Not to mention manufacturing.

Also, I wonder if the Sig# 1-31 have been contacted? I would expect they are going in order but they have missed folks before when they send out emails. Anyone know Sig#1-31?

Probably reading too much into that. I would expect them to start a bit early, to get the process rolling smoothly before they get into larger volumes.

Remind me again what the "Special" is all about? Is that for Roadster owners?

Roadster owners with Sig Reservations; they come at the front of the Sig list but are included in the 1,000 Sig limit. After the Sig's there is also a "R" list of Roadster owners with general production reservations, then comes the general production. Numbers can be found here on *michiganmodel* tally thread.

Reading this thread makes me wonder. I got an email from one of the guys at the local store saying that the design studio would be up in the store on Monday. He asked if I would like to set up an "appointment" to come in. It didn't occur to me that he might be intending that I commit to a configuration. I interpreted it as, "Hey, come in and play with the design studio." But he never said that in the email and this has me wondering.

Nah, can't be. I'm going in on Tuesday night after work to play with the design studio. Calm down, keep it steady. Relax. I can't, I'm so excited!

I doubt that this is your "sign off" meeting. I'm a few spots ahead of yo and I've heard nothing - so yours is probably just a courtesy meeting.