Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm long out of warranty (175,000km) and just waiting for the MCU to fail. The Telstra 3G network (used by Tesla) here is being switched off in 2024 too, so I'm expecting that it'll fail so that I end up with another full price MCU1 replacement, then have to pay to upgrade the 3G SIM to 4G, then wait 4 years for the EMMC chip to fail again, then pay full price, hopefully for a MCU2, or maybe 3 by then:(

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
I'd read this... Any Parts repaired or replaced under the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, or an active Tesla Service Plan is covered for the duration of that applicable warranty or plan, and does not extend beyond that duration.

If the part was replaced under your new car warranty, the warranty on that replaced part continues only until the end of your original new car warranty or for 90 days, whichever is longer.

If you purchased a replacement part from Tesla and Tesla installed it (out of warranty), then the part is covered for one year except for certain parts and one of those certain parts is the touchscreen which is covered for four years.

When my eMMC failed, I was able to drive, despite not being able to enter a PIN (and P2D being set).

That's interesting that your P2D wasn't stopping you from driving the car. Would you elaborate a bit more? Was your MCU just unresponsive or blank (dead)?

I'm concerned about my MCU1 dies and my P2D stops me from driving the car to SC or home.

Can someone explain in layman terms why the read/write behavior that causes the memory failure hasn’t been stopped or reduced to a sustainable amount by a software update? It seems like this problem has been understood by Tesla almost as long as it has been understood by the forum...so why does the issue still remain?

Reactions: Droschke
my screen has bubbles now....do they have to change the MCU when 17 inch screen is replaced?
gawd i hope so!!!
both my displays have bubbles
drivetrain is so noisy--- like a fast n furious Honda Civic exhaist--- ya, it's embarrassing!!!!
now my battery died!!!! 5 year old car & it seems like everything is going at once!

So I was in the same boat as you. My screen lost probably half of it's goo before I finally got it fixed. Tesla offers the option to just replace the screen but after reading about all the issues with the MCU, I went ahead and replaced the whole unit. For $700 more, it was worth it for the peace of mind of having a newer MCU and 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. Good luck!

So I was in the same boat as you. My screen lost probably half of it's goo before I finally got it fixed. Tesla offers the option to just replace the screen but after reading about all the issues with the MCU, I went ahead and replaced the whole unit. For $700 more, it was worth it for the peace of mind of having a newer MCU and 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. Good luck!
very interesting indeed.
i have approx 11 months left of extended warranty.
i think I'm gonna get out of this vehicle in May 2020.....so i can sell it with almost 5 months of warranty and new battery pack and prolly drivetrain.
I don't think I wanna be an owner without warranty.

hopefully i can arrange a convenience trade for a new Model 3 at my Tesla store.

if i go with a new M3 with the 2 years extended I'll be able to sleep tight for 6 years

i just wanna get as many broken things fixed as possible b4 i get rid of it

Loving this thread, I think this is a very interesting discussion
o.png

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
That's interesting that your P2D wasn't stopping you from driving the car. Would you elaborate a bit more? Was your MCU just unresponsive or blank (dead)?

I'm concerned about my MCU1 dies and my P2D stops me from driving the car to SC or home.

My MCU went through periods when it was unresponsive - initially for a few minutes but later, for about two hours. During this period, I would get messages about authorisation. I am guessing that when the MCU was booting up, it spent some time running file system checks on the partitions on the eMMC and these took longer as more elements of the eMMC were failing. In the end, the MCU was completely dead. I was able to drive the car but unable to operate lights and notably, the sunroof.

My MCU went through periods when it was unresponsive - initially for a few minutes but later, for about two hours. During this period, I would get messages about authorisation. I am guessing that when the MCU was booting up, it spent some time running file system checks on the partitions on the eMMC and these took longer as more elements of the eMMC were failing. In the end, the MCU was completely dead. I was able to drive the car but unable to operate lights and notably, the sunroof.

Thanks for the feedback. And, all that time your P2D was bypassed?

Thanks for the feedback. And, all that time your P2D was bypassed?
I was blocked from driving in the periods when the MCU was trying to boot (from minutes to a couple of hours) but once past that, I was always able to drive. I was also able to charge at home (I had not set any charging schedule) but I didn't try at a supercharger.

I'm long out of warranty (175,000km) and just waiting for the MCU to fail. The Telstra 3G network (used by Tesla) here is being switched off in 2024 too, so I'm expecting that it'll fail so that I end up with another full price MCU1 replacement, then have to pay to upgrade the 3G SIM to 4G, then wait 4 years for the EMMC chip to fail again, then pay full price, hopefully for a MCU2, or maybe 3 by then:(

Why not replace the eMMC and the 3G modem with LTE before that? Then your car can last beyond 2024, and the MCU will also last far beyond that?

For people concerned about not being able to charge in case of MCU failure, you can turn off scheduled charging and the car will charge if the MCU fails. The workaround for not being able to set a charging schedule is to use the Stats app, which allows you to schedule charging and is very flexible, among other useful things.

Depending on how badly the MCU has failed, app may not be able to control it. Best to disable schedule before total failure. Even better to have recovery/replacement before failure.

very interesting indeed.
i have approx 11 months left of extended warranty.
i think I'm gonna get out of this vehicle in May 2020.....so i can sell it with almost 5 months of warranty and new battery pack and prolly drivetrain.
I don't think I wanna be an owner without warranty.

hopefully i can arrange a convenience trade for a new Model 3 at my Tesla store.

if i go with a new M3 with the 2 years extended I'll be able to sleep tight for 6 years

i just wanna get as many broken things fixed as possible b4 i get rid of it

Ownership without warranty is not bad. I bought my car without warranty, and the expectation I would learn how to service mine. These cars are very serviceable. I think there will be more servicing options in the near future. I can already tell you there is in my area ;).

Can someone explain in layman terms why the read/write behavior that causes the memory failure hasn’t been stopped or reduced to a sustainable amount by a software update? It seems like this problem has been understood by Tesla almost as long as it has been understood by the forum...so why does the issue still remain?

Simply? It appears they have prioritized other developments over extending the life of eMMC chip.

Depending on how badly the MCU has failed, app may not be able to control it. Best to disable schedule before total failure. Even better to have recovery/replacement before failure.

I think you misunderstood my comment. What I am saying is that in order to be able to charge in the event that your MCU fails, you should disable scheduled charging. INSTEAD of scheduled charging, use the Stats app to regain this functionality. The schedule is then controlled by the app and not by the MCU. I am not talking about the app controlling this when the MCU fails. I am talking about using the app to schedule charging while the MCU is still OK. I hope I am being clear enough.

Another deceased MCU here.
As an FYI, supercharging works.
Only the display on the IC is misleading: it shows “0” for charge speed but I saw the battery capacity increase. My car is scheduled to start charging at night, so at least SuC is a solution. You need to give it a minute also: it’s slower to react and actually start the charge.

For those outside imperial region: the odometer shows mph values and no longer Km/h, although it states km/h.

I had 3G and bubbles starting. So the new one will add LTE and a new screen.
I asked the technician if the new screen will be one that turns yellow on the side. It will not according to him. Time will tell.

Nice gesture from the SeC : I got a loaner as courtesy.

Guess being early adopter has ups and downs. :)