Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

it's worse to upgrade from Ap2 to Ap3 ? MX 90d 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello X fans ..

I have been considering purchasing a used Model X - P100D year 2017. However it seems there are 3 things to consider and I believe unfair.

(1) As a secondhand owner - Ludicrous is disabled and you need to buy it again... hey what !!
(2) As a secondhand owner - FSD is disabled and you need to buy it again ... hmmm
(3) As a secondhand owner - Free Supercharging is not transferable and it seems it would be throttled anyway

The cost to buy these things again is really eye watering ... I feel (1) and (2) should be transferable as it significantly reduces the resale value if the X

Reactions: oliver4ever
Hello X fans ..

I have been considering purchasing a used Model X - P100D year 2017. However it seems there are 3 things to consider and I believe unfair.

(1) As a secondhand owner - Ludicrous is disabled and you need to buy it again... hey what !!
(2) As a secondhand owner - FSD is disabled and you need to buy it again ... hmmm
(3) As a secondhand owner - Free Supercharging is not transferable and it seems it would be throttled anyway

The cost to buy these things again is really eye watering ... I feel (1) and (2) should be transferable as it significantly reduces the resale value if the X

My understanding is that if you buy from an actual private owner with any or all of those features they will transfer to you without a problem.
If you buy from a car dealer Tesla will probably turn those features off. The dealer may or may not know this and may or may not tell you.
If you buy from Tesla they have probably already turned those features off. You may be expecting free Supercharging if you know your Tesla model history, but the other two were optional. Just be clear about what you're buying and don't assume they are included. Presumably they are selling the car for less than they would have with those features, so you shouldn't be paying for nonexistent features. But if you want them you'll be paying the non-depreciated price.

Hi animorph

Thanks for the explanation and yes the vehicle that I am interested in is from a dealer and NO they have not told me about these little extras to buy again ... and NO the secondhand delaer price has in my view not taken that into account.

Also is it easy to find out if the vehicle has MCU1 or MCU2 ?

My understanding is that if you buy from an actual private owner with any or all of those features they will transfer to you without a problem.
If you buy from a car dealer Tesla will probably turn those features off. The dealer may or may not know this and may or may not tell you.
If you buy from Tesla they have probably already turned those features off. You may be expecting free Supercharging if you know your Tesla model history, but the other two were optional. Just be clear about what you're buying and don't assume they are included. Presumably they are selling the car for less than they would have with those features, so you shouldn't be paying for nonexistent features. But if you want them you'll be paying the non-depreciated price.

My understanding is that some of that depends if the car has passed hands through Tesla since the original purchase. If the car was traded into Tesla and then sold at auction to another used dealer, then it is likely that optional software features may have been stripped by Tesla while they owned it and the authorized options may not match the sticker. If the car was traded into a dealer and ultimately sold at auction to yet another used dealer, without ever passing hands through Tesla, then I don't believe there's any legal basis for them removing any feature except perhaps for free unlimited supercharging.

Reactions: oliver4ever