TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

IVA-NAV-10 Map/firmware update

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Bob L, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Bob L

Bob L Junior Member

Last summer when my Alpine unit said it was time to upgrade I asked the folks at Tesla about it and they pointed me to this web page:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I couldn't find anything about my unit (IVA-NAV-10) so I called Alpine's tech support number. The fellow I talked with didn't know if the INA-W900/INA-W900BT map update would work in my unit, but that one would be available in three months. When I called back last fall I was told it would be three more months. When I called back last month I was told (yep you guessed it) three more months while they convert to a new delivery system.

Any of you roadster drivers been down this road?

Bob L

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

For this reason, but more importantly, more flexibility and processing speed, I am replacing my Alpine unit with the Parrot Asteroid Smart (a la Mark in Hong Kong) in a couple of weeks...

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I bring a Garmin along when I need to navigate...

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree. Probably not worth spending the $100 for a map update on such a bad NAV.

5. bart513

bart513 Member

How much is the Parrot including install?

6. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

Alpine Update

Back in May 2012, I ordered, received and installed an upgrade to the Alpine Unit:

ine Item Name Qty Price ExtPrice
    ----- ------------------------------------------------- ---- ---------- --------
    NVD-W901 SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR INA-W900 1 99.95 99.95
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: 99.95

It worked fine. Other then map updates, the only new feature I recognized was a new "cancel route" button to more easily cancel the route you were following.

I ordered this off the website without trouble. I have looked for a newer update since but without success.

David

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I think the unit itself costs around $599 USD...the install depends on what you're having done.

I am setting the car up with a Sierra Wireless Aircard as opposed to tethering from my phone...the Aircard is around $150 plus another (optional) $50 for an appropriate external antenna...I will also be replacing some of the speakers as well, so I figure I will be around $2,000 - $2,500 in, depending on which speakers I choose...

8. bart513

bart513 Member

Thanks Jaff.

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

About $500 from Amazon, plus $150 for backup camera, plus $350 install. Total I paid was around $1,000.

Now, my time at $500/hour x N days ... ;-)

10. bart513

bart513 Member

I already have the backup camera:)
    I know it's in the threads SOMEWHERE but the advantage over the Alpine?

11. markwj

The Alpine backup cameras are proprietary. So, a little converter box is needed to make it standard.

Advantage of Parrot is it is Android. Hence, spotify, tomtom, google maps, waze, tunein, etc.

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Consulting fee $500 / hr, eh?...the cheque is in the mail...:wink::biggrin:

Seriously,:biggrin: we Roadster owners owe Mark a huge debt of gratitude for trailblazing this (and other functionalities) for us!!!

Cheers Sir! :smile:

13. bart513

bart513 Member

I'm using Apple products so Idk about the Parrot. Regarding Mark he is a God send to our Roadster community. Smart, makes himself available, not a selfish bone in his body! Thanks Mark as always.

14. markwj

Aw, shucks (blushing)