Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've been waiting years and years for fsd, and still zip, nada. Not even offered a beta test...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are paying for what's currently on offer in the FSD package and no more. That's AutoPark, Smart Summon, Navigate on AutoPilot etc. You also receive a free call option that if and when AutoPilot on City Street is released during the ownership of your vehicle you would get that for free. Think of it like a free roll at the roulette table. It's probably not going to result in a win, but if it does the upside is enormous. As you are getting the roll for free you may as well place the bet. That's how you should look at what FSD is today.

Is NoAP, Smart Summon, Auto Lange change etc worth $10,000 to you? That's a decision everybody needs to make themselves as there is no wrong or right answer. Personally, when I contrast FSD package at $10,000 even at the current capabilities its far and away the best ADAS system on any vehicle available in Australia so imo yes its worth the price.

If and when FSD v11,v12,v13 or whatever makes it to Australia and is reliably able to drive you to where you want to go with minimal input (i.e. just requires attentive supervision) then the price of FSD will not be $10,000. It would be much, much higher, in the range of $15,000-$50,000 for that option alone which you will get for free. I'm sure you won't complain when you sell your car for a huge profit in that scenario. I'm not saying its likely but its a possibility that you receive 100% the benefit of so you have to factor in that risk-adjusted value in today's dollars.

Nice analysis, but that doesn't quite address the jokers who bought a new Tesla about 6 years ago with the promise that it had the hardware for full FSD and that it was essentially coming soon.

But you know, what really irks me is not the time it is taking. It's the, for lack of a better word, choose one:. (discrimination, racism, geographically challenged, unimportantness, inequality)... Australia just doesn't count. How come we don't get invited to beta test? Are we not as sophisticated? We paid the same money!

Why was the option for fsd offered to the Australian market if we are going to be denied the same opportunities to fsd updates and beta programs? And it's not as if they came clean with their advertising and said something like, "Fool. You can pay for this if you want, we'll take your money. But you will not, I repeat 'not' get fsd as if you are a US citizen. You lot are second class citizens. You're money ain't of course. But you guys are. You don't get let in. But thanks for your support and welcome to the Tesla family. Your current rank is doghouse. You might get invited to some picnics if your lucky, but don't expect any wedding invitations."

Last edited:
Nice analysis, but that doesn't quite address the jokers who bought a new Tesla about 6 years ago with the promise that it had the hardware for full FSD and that it was essentially coming soon.

But you know, what really irks me is not the time it is taking. It's the, for lack of a better word, choose one:. (discrimination, racism, geographically challenged, unimportantness, inequality)... Australia just doesn't count. How come we don't get invited to beta test? Are we not as sophisticated? We paid the same money!

Why was the option for fsd offered to the Australian market if we are going to be denied the same opportunities to fsd updates and beta programs? And it's not as if they came clean with their advertising and said something like, "Fool. You can pay for this if you want, we'll take your money. But you will not, I repeat 'not' get fsd as if you are a US citizen. You lot are second class citizens. You're money ain't of course. But you guys are. You don't get let in. But thanks for your support and welcome to the Tesla family. Your current rank is doghouse. You might get invited to some picnics if your lucky, but don't expect any wedding invitations."
Again you are missing the point. You have a serious victim complex if you think you are being so badly aggrieved by Tesla.
  • You are still receiving tangible quality of life improvements today when you purchase FSD that for a lot of people represent good value for money. If you drive a lot on a highway, NoAP can be a god send. Automatically stopping at red lights on a divided arterial road is also a great commute improver.

• The FSD option has very high residual value, as its constantly improving, meaning that you can resell the FSD option when you dispose of your vehicle at let's say 50% of the brand new option price. In 5 years, if FSD is $25,000 and your 5-year old car has it included you may be able to sell your vehicle for $12,000 than you otherwise would. In that scenario you have actually made money by purchasing FSD. Even if you give away the FSD option for free when you sell your car, $10,000 over 5 years is $15 per month. For a lot of people, $15 is worth it even as a sunk expense.

• Compared to other automakers you are actually given preferential pricing treatment in Australia compared to the U.S. Usually premium cars in Australia are 15-20% more expensive (even before taxes) just because OEMs and more specifically dealerships can price gouge and there are willing buyers. Case in point, if you buy a Model 3 with FSD today in the U.S you will pay more for that vehicle in Australian dollars pre-tax than you would in Australia (FSD in US is $17,000 AUD vs $10,000 here, base vehicle price more or less the same once currency converted). Keep in mind that only 3-5% of HW3 fleet in the U.S even has FSD Beta so really we are actually treated very fairly all things considered. Tesla could overnight increase the price across the board 20% and they would still sell every vehicle they ship over.

• 2016 Tesla was a different company. I do believe those buyers are entitled so some sort of 1 time benefit to make them whole. Maybe a one time gratis FSD option on their next Tesla if their original FSD purchase date was <2017. However to use that time period as a reason that buyers today should be given FSD for cheaper or faster is a false equivalency.

Gee this sux.

You go on Twitter, YouTube, Google, and people are raving on about beta testing version 10 or something.

Meanwhile... Down under.... How much longer? Can't say. Will we ever? Can't say. Not even soon? Yeah ok, can say, not soon.

Sux

Sux

Sux
When you purchased FSD did you really think (in your heart of hearts) that a full self driving vehicle was technically possible or even legal? Logic states that if it worked the first vehicles to get it would be road trains....out where there is almost no other road users on roads dead straight with drivers needing to rest.
You get, for your money, a series of aids to driving...that when combined with things like automatic lights and wipers...just make driving a little less stressful and safer...is that worth the money or wait...I think yes...others can disagree

How about something less evil? Plain old $$$ .. the US market is bigger, and so gets priority. However, much of the work on the US beta is going to carry forward into other jurisdictions. Sure, the signage is different and some road rules are different, but the core of driving is the same. So, yeah, you dont have it now, but once Tesla get things stable I think future roll-outs will be faster, assuming local laws permit it.

Think of it this way, the US testers are the guinea pigs so you will get the reliable version! :)

Australia just doesn't count. How come we don't get invited to beta test? Are we not as sophisticated? We paid the same money!
It's not just Australia though - the only place that has the Beta is the USA, and given that the driving task varies considerably between countries I don't think it's surprising that they have development a bit further along in their home market.

DA9C1CDA-31D9-40F9-B115-D6377055B36F.jpeg
What about us eh? We don't count? We paid too you know. Or am I being, you know, seeing myself as a victim?

Two guys go to a Tesla website. An Aussie and a Yank. They both buy the same fsd feature with the same text advertising. They both pay a comparable amount taking into account foreign exchange factors. One gets all the privileges... The other gets told to stop complaining and be happy with the little she has...

Fair dinkum mate...

View attachment 781520What about us eh? We don't count? We paid too you know. Or am I being, you know, seeing myself as a victim?

Two guys go to a Tesla website. An Aussie and a Yank. They both buy the same fsd feature with the same text advertising. They both pay a comparable amount taking into account foreign exchange factors. One gets all the privileges... The other gets told to stop complaining and be happy with the little she has...

Fair dinkum mate...
No, more than 90% of the yanks dont get the FSD beta. There are about 45,000 beta testers, and way more than 10x that number of Teslas on the road in the US. And it's not a "privilege" its a responsibility, and a damn tricky one, since you have to be VERY vigilant with the car and PERSONALLY RISK your car crashing (at your expense) while self-driving .. including liability for damages to others.

Reactions: moa999
ITT: People buying an Apple Magic Keyboard and complaining it doesn't give them magical powers.
I think when you are offered (and pay for) a product called "Full Self Driving", even if there are plenty of caveats about timeframes, there is a reasonable expectation that sometime during your ownership of the vehicle it will be fully self-driving.

Yea, I'm a Yankee, and I paid for FSD when I bought my second Model S end of 2016. My car needs the camera upgrade to get FSD Beta……I’m still waiting. So it is not just an Aussie thing, many of us Yanks are getting Yanked around also. For gosh sakes, Tesla has had my money for 6 years! I have only a few features beyond original Enhanced Auto Pilot.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Fair dinkum mate...
If it were...for example...an Aussie and a Kiwi...and the Kiwi paid more and got less...you’d think that was fairly normal wouldn’t you 🤷‍♂️