Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've Bricked my ICE Thrice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One casualty of getting my Roadster is that my truck normally stays parked. I have put less than 400 miles on it this year. As a consequence if the truck sits for more than two weeks I have to put it on a charger or jump it. It has happened to me three times now. So it appears that the Roadster is not the only vehicle that must be plugged in.

I had the battery go flat on my gas car after not using it for some weeks. After that it wouldn't hold much of a charge, and I had to drive my Tesla to Canadian Tire to buy a new battery for it.

Lead-acid batteries don't like being flat either.

One casualty of getting my Roadster is that my truck normally stays parked. I have put less than 400 miles on it this year. As a consequence if the truck sits for more than two weeks I have to put it on a charger or jump it. It has happened to me three times now. So it appears that the Roadster is not the only vehicle that must be plugged in.

90 dollar battery vs 40k..don't mind bricking my ice

In my first year of Roadster ownership, I replaced my Wrangler battery twice due to disuse. I was really happy to sell it and rent (or borrow) a car the couple of times a year I need to haul stuff.

I have 3 of these. Amazon.com: Coleman 50005 5-Watt Solar Powered Trickle Charger: Patio, Lawn Garden

It is all the solar generation that I own :frown:.

I wouldn't recommend them at the $75 price here (I paid 50 for all 3). But they work pretty well.

Also try:

This Auction is for a VW Solar Battery Charger/ Maintainer. It was used in new cars to maintain the battery while being shipped and being stored on the lot. It's a great way to keep the battery up while a car is not in use. It has to be in the sun to work.

I had the battery go flat on my gas car after not using it for some weeks. After that it wouldn't hold much of a charge, and I had to drive my Tesla to Canadian Tire to buy a new battery for it.

Lead-acid batteries don't like being flat either.

LOL I had to drive my Tesla to get a new battery for my truck last week.

Can't wait to get rid of ALL the gas powered things in my life...

How does the solar powered trickle charger work for car batteries. How do you hook it up? My VW battery went dead last week from sitting. I drive my roadster most of the time and the poor VW suffers. It's outside so can't use a plug in solution.

Might I suggest that you buy one and read the instructions. It's not that much money and your ROI is half a car battery.
In some ads you see the device inside the car, behind the windshield. I guess they connect to the cigarette lighter socket.

My Coleman trickle chargers have about a 10 foot lead on the wires. You can always wire nut on longer wires, it is really low current. You hook the leads straight to the battery terminals. I have set it on the roof or straight on the ground.

I bought the originally to put on my roof rack and run some led x-mas lights from a separate battery in my car. I am lazy and never got around to doing that.

I used one of those solar powered trickle chargers that plugs into the lighter socket, and it actually killed my battery.

How??

Well it turned out that the lighter socket only got power with the ignition switch in the ACC or ON positions, not when OFF. The solar charger plugged into the lighter socket had the effect of randomly turning the radio on (even though the car was off). And whenever the radio turned on or off, the power telescoping antenna (which was connected directly to the battery) would go up or down, respectively. So the antenna motor drained the battery.

I had left my car parked at a friends place while I was overseas for a couple months, and he said the car seemed possessed with the antenna randomly going up and down.