TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I've Bricked my ICE Thrice

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by dhrivnak, May 9, 2012.

1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

One casualty of getting my Roadster is that my truck normally stays parked. I have put less than 400 miles on it this year. As a consequence if the truck sits for more than two weeks I have to put it on a charger or jump it. It has happened to me three times now. So it appears that the Roadster is not the only vehicle that must be plugged in.

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I've heard Ferraris have the same issue :smile:

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I had the battery go flat on my gas car after not using it for some weeks. After that it wouldn't hold much of a charge, and I had to drive my Tesla to Canadian Tire to buy a new battery for it.

Lead-acid batteries don't like being flat either.

4. 90 dollar battery vs 40k..don't mind bricking my ice

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

After 400 times you might.... :)

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

#6 ElSupreme, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. Lancelac

Lancelac 2010 Roadster Sport #690

In my first year of Roadster ownership, I replaced my Wrangler battery twice due to disuse. I was really happy to sell it and rent (or borrow) a car the couple of times a year I need to haul stuff.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Also try:

This Auction is for a VW Solar Battery Charger/ Maintainer. It was used in new cars to maintain the battery while being shipped and being stored on the lot. It's a great way to keep the battery up while a car is not in use. It has to be in the sun to work.

9. strider

strider Active Member

10. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

LOL I had to drive my Tesla to get a new battery for my truck last week.

Can't wait to get rid of ALL the gas powered things in my life...

11. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

How does the solar powered trickle charger work for car batteries. How do you hook it up? My VW battery went dead last week from sitting. I drive my roadster most of the time and the poor VW suffers. It's outside so can't use a plug in solution.

12. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Might I suggest that you buy one and read the instructions. It's not that much money and your ROI is half a car battery.
    In some ads you see the device inside the car, behind the windshield. I guess they connect to the cigarette lighter socket.

13. daniel

daniel Active Member

Wouldn't work for me. My stinker sits in the sunless garage. I have a regular battery minder that I bought at the Toyota dealership.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll be getting close this fall, when the Model S replaces my G37, but I'll still have a gas lawnmower (although a robotic electric mower does 90% of the job), and :redface: a track car.

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

My Coleman trickle chargers have about a 10 foot lead on the wires. You can always wire nut on longer wires, it is really low current. You hook the leads straight to the battery terminals. I have set it on the roof or straight on the ground.

I bought the originally to put on my roof rack and run some led x-mas lights from a separate battery in my car. I am lazy and never got around to doing that.

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I used one of those solar powered trickle chargers that plugs into the lighter socket, and it actually killed my battery.

How??

Well it turned out that the lighter socket only got power with the ignition switch in the ACC or ON positions, not when OFF. The solar charger plugged into the lighter socket had the effect of randomly turning the radio on (even though the car was off). And whenever the radio turned on or off, the power telescoping antenna (which was connected directly to the battery) would go up or down, respectively. So the antenna motor drained the battery.

I had left my car parked at a friends place while I was overseas for a couple months, and he said the car seemed possessed with the antenna randomly going up and down.

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I use one of these trickle chargers for my sailboat's battery. Works like a charm. Of course, I don't keep my sailboat in a sunless garage.