Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've gone grey, grey, and more grey.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings from a new owner in Chicago. This is my first post, but I've spent countless hours over the past couple months, lurking/trolling this forum to help me decide if this was going to be my next car, and then what I was going to do to it once I got it. So I'd like to thank everyone for sharing your experiences here as you've been a tremendous help through the whole initial process. I miss being on M3post and all the antics that took place there, but it's nice to see that the Tesla community is also a fanatical one.

I took delivery of an inventory car about a month ago. It became available about a week after I made my first deposit and started configuring my model. Even better, it was at a neighboring SC (Oakbrook), and my salesperson at the Chicago SC had it in front of me within a day. Hard to say no, when it was pretty much exactly how I wanted it. The instant gratification along with the discounted price, were enough to overcome the 5k miles of aggressive test driving that I'm sure she's been through. In my eyes, she's a beauty and I'm happy to have her.

grey2.jpg

P85, grey metallic, grey 21s, pano roof, grey performance seats, piano black, yacht floor, twin chargers, tech, standard suspension, parking sensors, hi-fi sound, alcantara, interior lighting, subzero weather, red calipers.

So far, I've added tints (F1 Pinnacle), grey cocomats, red center cap decals, and blacked out (wrap) the window trim and side mirror mounts (not a fan of all the chrome). I just finished up the magnet solution for the front plate, and installed a 240V outlet in my garage spot (I live in a condo building). I think I'll keep her this way for a bit, while I decide if I want to cancel out any more chrome.

I was originally going to go with the 19s and use them as winter wheels, which are a must here. I spent a lot of time scoping out aftermarket wheels, and I would've probably pulled the trigger on some HREs, but I'm getting used to the big grey OEMs that came with. Unassuming and natural - they just look right on her. So for now, I'll save a few bucks and look for some new winters next season.

The other option that I wasn't going to select originally, but really like now, are the grey performance seats. Too much grey? Not at all. The different shades work well for me. Plus, I've had black seats on my past three cars, so this ended up being a welcome change.

I would still skip the piano black and the yacht floor.

One month in, and I've got no regrets. In fact, I don't know if this honeymoon will ever end.

Fantastic color choice, it just happens to be very similar to mine :wink:

One thing regarding winter tires: very few brands make them in sizes fitting the 21' Tesla rims.

My suggestion is to get a separate set of 19' rims, where your available options are more reasonnable (the Nokian Hakka R2 are a board favorite, but great (long) discussion over at the winter tire recommendation thread).

And I fully agree with Chipper, after more than one year behind the wheel I still look forward to driving my S, never happened to me with any other vehicle. Have fun!

Agreed. Definitely going to do the full separate set of winter wheels. Leaning towards powder coated OEM 19s for now.

Fantastic color choice, it just happens to be very similar to mine :wink:

One thing regarding winter tires: very few brands make them in sizes fitting the 21' Tesla rims.

My suggestion is to get a separate set of 19' rims, where your available options are more reasonnable (the Nokian Hakka R2 are a board favorite, but great (long) discussion over at the winter tire recommendation thread).

And I fully agree with Chipper, after more than one year behind the wheel I still look forward to driving my S, never happened to me with any other vehicle. Have fun!

So far, I've added tints (F1 Pinnacle), grey cocomats, red center cap decals, and blacked out (wrap) the window trim and side mirror mounts (not a fan of all the chrome). I just finished up the magnet solution for the front plate, and installed a 240V outlet in my garage spot (I live in a condo building). I think I'll keep her this way for a bit, while I decide if I want to cancel out any more chrome.
Congrats - the car looks great! Who did your wrap work? You can post here or just PM me (I would also like to know the cost).

Thanks.

Congrats - the car looks great! Who did your wrap work? You can post here or just PM me (I would also like to know the cost).

Thanks.

Thanks! Wrap was done here: TufGard Chicago Vinyl Car Wrap Installation - TufGard the guy's name is Brian. I think it ended up being $200 or less.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, and more pics please! I'm especially interested in pics of the grey performance interior with alcantara headliner, since that is the combo I ordered. Do you think the grey and tan play nicely with each other?

Totally plays well. I wouldn't have picked it myself, so I'm really glad it came this way. I will take a pic for you soon.

Wow, Librarian, that's gray interior? Looks white.. I mean, looks great, but lighter then I envisioned it to be. I need to look at the ordering page again. :)

There's no contrasting color on the piping on your seats? (I had to go black perf interior to get the red piping, although I prefer a lighter interior color)

I found my cell phone suction cup mount sticks well to the center armrest panel where the 12v plug is and it's easy to put the phone in it as it's right by your side.

-m

Thanks Librarian, it looks great! And you just sold me on some grey floor mats too. :biggrin:

@invisik - those pictures looks a bit washed out and the grey isn't quite that bright in person. The contrasting piping is there, but it's a cream color on the grey interior. I think it helps tie in the cream color headliner.

Wow, Librarian, that's gray interior? Looks white.. I mean, looks great, but lighter then I envisioned it to be. I need to look at the ordering page again. :)

There's no contrasting color on the piping on your seats? (I had to go black perf interior to get the red piping, although I prefer a lighter interior color)

I found my cell phone suction cup mount sticks well to the center armrest panel where the 12v plug is and it's easy to put the phone in it as it's right by your side.

-m

Awesome pic of your grey. Super unique look with those Aero wheels. Love how the car has such a versatile aesthetic.

The piping does have more a contrast than how it appears in the pic. It's the same as, or very similar to, to alcantara headliner. It was just a very grey and overcast day here yesterday, and I'm a terrible photographer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Librarian, it looks great! And you just sold me on some grey floor mats too. :biggrin:

@invisik - those pictures looks a bit washed out and the grey isn't quite that bright in person. The contrasting piping is there, but it's a cream color on the grey interior. I think it helps tie in the cream color headliner.

Totally...I was going to go with black w grey dots and trim for the mats, until Drew at Cocomats sent me some samples and convinced me to go grey. Very happy with the results and so much better than the flimsy Tesla mats that kept folding over. Everyone that gets in the car comments on how great the mats look and feel.

My pics definitely fall short of showing off the true color. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the grey performance seats. I've always demanded black in the past, for good reason, but this time the grey is really a nice and refreshing departure.

- - - Updated - - -

-m

I never thought about placing a mount on that side. I didn't want to clutter up the display side, so I haven't explored further. Time to look for a mount that fits on the armrest panel.