Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've had my Model S for a month now. When does simply looking at it get old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they keep the Model S look the way it does for as long as possible so it remains the iconic design it is.

Sort of like what Porsche did with the 911.

I don't understand the constant whining by some of "refreshing" the exterior design. IMHO the exterior design is perfect and timeless and I hope they keep it that way while making interior and technology changes, as they have been doing.

I love the understated look of the car without being needlessly in your face aggressive while at the same time having the power and technology to obliterate anything else.

Does anyone talk about how the Porsche 911 should get a facelift because it is such an "old" design. Of course not.

You should not mess with perfection.

I remember coming across the side of a Tesla a few months ago and thought it was a new model that was a prototype because it looked different. I saw the front and it had a nosecone, so it turned out to be an older car that doesn't look old.

Looks are subjective, yet I hope Tesla doesn't play the exterior "refresh for the sake of a refresh" game. It's a version of the planned obsolescence mentality, which is wasteful in many ways. It goes against sustainability. Allowing people to upgrade the MCU without buying a new car is more sustainable.

I hope they keep the Model S look the way it does for as long as possible so it remains the iconic design it is.

Sort of like what Porsche did with the 911.

I don't understand the constant whining by some of "refreshing" the exterior design. IMHO the exterior design is perfect and timeless and I hope they keep it that way while making interior and technology changes, as they have been doing.

I love the understated look of the car without being needlessly in your face aggressive while at the same time having the power and technology to obliterate anything else.

Does anyone talk about how the Porsche 911 should get a facelift because it is such an "old" design. Of course not.

You should not mess with perfection.

911 is refreshed more often than the Model S - they just keep each refresh looking similar. In fact, it was JUST refreshed!

Model S needs a refresh like the 911 - new chassis, improvements to handling, safety, new tech Tesla has adopted since the current Model S was originally designed almost a decade ago. It doesn't have to look completely different and I agree it should look as close to the same as possible - but the Model S needs a refresh if only so it is up to par with newer Tesla tech.

911 is refreshed more often than the Model S - they just keep each refresh looking similar. In fact, it was JUST refreshed!

Model S needs a refresh like the 911 - new chassis, improvements to handling, safety, new tech Tesla has adopted since the current Model S was originally designed almost a decade ago. It doesn't have to look completely different and I agree it should look as close to the same as possible - but the Model S needs a refresh if only so it is up to par with newer Tesla tech.
Are you saying that a 2012 Model S has exactly the same safety systems, technology, range, suspension (improvements to handling), features as a 2020 Model S?

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr and SO16
a 2012 Model S has exactly the same safety systems, technology, range, suspension (improvements to handling), features as a 2020 Model S

No I'm not, but I did quote the person who made that silly claim and I recommend you chastise them for such a ridiculous statement. I'm stating the fact that every single Model S from every year it has ever been made share the same 1st Generation "Whitestar" chassis. Improvements tacked on of course, but unlike the 2020 Porsche 911 which shares nothing at all with a 2012 you can retrofit literally every part of a new Model S onto an original Model Sb if you're properly motivated because that's all Tesla has done with the Model S, constant small improvements to an unchanging base. Which is why the Model S still can't use modern tesla batteries and is stuck with the older style. If my car used the newer style batteries for the same capacity it would weigh hundreds of pounds less and have almost 2000 fewer cells.

I'd love Tesla to follow Porsche's lead and design a brand new car with every new technology they have in cheaper cars, but still obviously a Tesla Model S on the outside. A total refresh without a noticeable change in appearance. Like the 911.

Last edited:
Reactions: avesraggiana

Sounds like the new "Plaid" version.

Sounds like the new "Plaid" version.
I could see a new plaid looking very similar to the model S. Wider tires with wider wheel wells along with more cooling inlets.
tesla-model-s-plaid-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100715860_h.jpg

No I'm not, but I did quote the person who made that silly claim and I recommend you chastise them for such a ridiculous statement. I'm stating the fact that every single Model S from every year it has ever been made share the same 1st Generation "Whitestar" chassis. Improvements tacked on of course, but unlike the 2020 Porsche 911 which shares nothing at all with a 2012 you can retrofit literally every part of a new Model S onto an original Model Sb if you're properly motivated because that's all Tesla has done with the Model S, constant small improvements to an unchanging base. Which is why the Model S still can't use modern tesla batteries and is stuck with the older style. If my car used the newer style batteries for the same capacity it would weigh hundreds of pounds less and have almost 2000 fewer cells.

I'd love Tesla to follow Porsche's lead and design a brand new car with every new technology they have in cheaper cars, but still obviously a Tesla Model S on the outside. A total refresh without a noticeable change in appearance. Like the 911.
The main reason (and this is not news to anyone) why Tesla hasn't done a complete from scratch upgrade is that its a new company and is trying to survive - hence the focus on more "affordable" and new tech cars such as the 3 and Y.

Having said that, other than the chassis and battery, pretty much the majority of the car isn't the same as the 2012 version, so that's fine with some and not with you - its not necessarily ideal I agree.

The main reason (and this is not news to anyone) why Tesla hasn't done a complete from scratch upgrade is that its a new company and is trying to survive - hence the focus on more "affordable" and new tech cars such as the 3 and Y.

Having said that, other than the chassis and battery, pretty much the majority of the car isn't the same as the 2012 version, so that's fine with some and not with you - its not necessarily ideal I agree.
it's perfectly fine with me! I can't wait to see what they do when they do refresh, it should be amazing.

I'm split on how I feel about this year's Plaid update being a potential retrofit to older S or the reveal of gen 2 though. Larger new battery packs to replace batterygate defects are sorely needed, but the Whitestar isn't a chassis designed to be tracked and they are clearly aiming at top dog status so we might miss out on those goodies and have to get a whole new car.

For the tens of thousands of dollars more that the Taycan S costs...I would HOPE the interior is many many levels above the Model S. lol

As a prospective S buyer, I would like to wait for the rumored refresh - the car is kind of dated.

OTOH, if Elon Musk is chasing the Taycan - that gives him about $80,000 of upside price potential.

Maybe I will buy this fall.

Besides the price, I can't think of any of these downsides.

Tiny trunk, not much range, will likely have big issues? Don't forget that Porsche is an ICE brand while Tesla is the most experienced EV brand, and even they've had their fair share of recalls and problems. Then you've got little things, like the absurd location of the charge port. I was honestly expecting the Taycan to be much better... thought out. Then I wouldn't think so much about its potential reliability, or lack thereof.