Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first Tesla was 3 years ago, so I only got to experience the atrocious communication phase. It was very clear, very quickly, to me that Tesla was not properly organized, had extremely poor internal team-team communication, and didn't know how to run operations. I figured that, plus bleeding cash because of giving all sorts of free repairs and "comped" parts/labor would run them into the ground.

I was astonished last year when they started making their operations more efficient, and actually squeezing out good margins. It was clear to me by the end of 2019 that the company will remain viable.

I would say, treasure the good moments you had when they were small, and just keep in mind that if you leave, one thousand new people will come in and be delighted by the products they are putting out today, and enchanted by the company. You're right about the risk of using early adopters and word of mouth as their marketing tool, but like Apple, they will be minting so much cash that they can just throw it at marketing by that point.

...Tesla literally doesn't pick up the phone ...They lied constantly ...If you've been a Tesla owner for more than 5 years, I can't imagine that you too haven't felt the same neglect and abuse ...I absolutely hate Tesla. I love the car but hate the company. And that is awful.
Truth.

I've been an owner for 5 years now. I recently traded my 5 y/o S85D for a Lexus LS500. What an upgrade in so many ways. I called the Lexus dealer earlier this week, got a pickup on the second ring even given Covid and reduced hours/staff, and got an appt scheduled for next Monday. I still have another 2018 S P100D (for now) but I definitely would not buy another Tesla in the foreseeable future due to the company, not the products. So... the tradeoff is I'm buying more gas now... Maybe they will fix things but history shows me it's extremely unlikely. Sales matter, the rest, notsomuch.

If a company was sold to another company, no one will expect to have the same perks etc. Tesla is still same Tesla so this comparison does not make sense.
Free rental was one of the perks I would expect from a so called luxury priced vehicle. I do not expect a rental from a Toyota dealership when I take our Yaris for service (however they are very good with valet drop off/pick up).

If you are talking about the model S or X, I agree with you, but what about the model 3. And how does service balance between the two? Margins on the 3 are pretty slim: should profits on the S and the X fund loaners for model 3 owners?

Is that like saying profits from Lexus should fund loaners for Yaris owners? Should Tesla split into 2 service centres? I don't have the answers, just thinking out loud.

I am sorry to hear about the OP's experience. I completely agree that Tesla can and should do more to shore up their service departments.

However, like jelloslug I believe it has an awful lot to do with your local service center - they seem to be extremely independent from the mothership. I have had six Teslas over 11 years and the service itself, whether in the shop or from a ranger, has always been absolutely fantastic. Switching from loaners to rideshare was a bit of a bummer, but not huge. It does sometimes take multiple attempts to get communication restarted after they drop it, and that is definitely annoying. But from what I've experienced in my area, I still wouldn't want to go back to a different manufacturer.

And who would have thought as a car owner that being so far away from a service centre is an advantage, as it yields FANTASTIC service. All 3 mobile service appointments I have experienced have been phenomenal.

My Tesla evangelism has ended. I really enjoyed it as well. Still love my cars. Will buy again. As I don't currently care for the alternatives.
Should have realized when I pulled my complimentary car detailing card out of my car owner manual about 6 months after we got our S. Handed it to the service advisor checking us in for annual service at 19 thousand miles after 6 months. Service Tech chuckled. Said we don't do that anymore(detailing). Now I am at over 100k. Just have an empty feeling. Service for me has crumbled.

There MIGHT be a small difference in having 1000 customers to satisfy or 1.000.000?

I am of the mindset a customer is a customer. As a corporation you try treat them the same whether you have 1 or 1 million. Remember. Without them you don't exisit. Yet one has to lay out expectations to customers. In certain areas Tesla has laid those out when it comes to service. Some would say it has failed with broken promises. Others will say the opposite and say the experience has been stellar. As an company with the profile of Tesla. I would say you want some uniformity to those customer service outcomes.

As I've posted in various other threads. I'm of the same sentiment as the OP. I won't go on yet another long winded rant, however part of me wonders if its more regional. I see a lot of similar complaints to the OP, myself, and even some in this thread, who are in the Bay Area or Southern California area. The Owner to Service density is just really high here

As I've posted in various other threads. I'm of the same sentiment as the OP. I won't go on yet another long winded rant, however part of me wonders if its more regional. I see a lot of similar complaints to the OP, myself, and even some in this thread, who are in the Bay Area or Southern California area. The Owner to Service density is just really high here

It's really odd, isn't it. One would think the mothership would make the experience better for the cars that are near the birthplace. Tough love?

Well yes. I would say that not being reachable is one way of refusing service. Another would be telling you you can't bring the car in for 10 days. Another is charging you $200 for a repair under warranty. The app works except when it doesn't and when it doesn't, the owner is SOL. App is great for cookie cutter issues but that's not every issue. What if, for example, you have a problem with being charged $200 for a covered repair? Who would you speak with about that? Well nobody because that's what is available. And refusal of service is far from the only form of rotten customer service.
What is this covered repair that you keep referring to?

part of me wonders if its more regional. I see a lot of similar complaints to the OP, myself, and even some in this thread, who are in the Bay Area or Southern California area. The Owner to Service density is just really high here

You may very well be right about this. But still, why can't they meet the challenge of increasing service where necessary based on owner density? I have too much respect for Elon's intelligence to believe he either A) isn't aware of how bad it is or B) doesn't know how to fix it. What I don't respect is the fact that I believe he IS aware, DOES know how to address it and chooses not to do so. Perhaps that's best from a stockholder standpoint but it isn't from an owner standpoint. I would certainly think that those two things are correlated but perhaps that's one thing (among many, I'm sure) Elon knows that I don't. Either way, as an owner and a stockholder, I'm out. Hard to believe I'm alone. If I had posted something this negative in 2013 the response would have been 10 to 1 emotional attacks. In 2020, it seems to be 75% agreement.

Transparency, consistency and execution. Tell the customer exactly what to expect from their service and sales experiences. Establish and maintain consistency in process across all service centers, in communication, in sales, in warranties, in repairs, and in working with customers. Execute according to transparent and standardized processes through proper training, excellent systems, and measured and shared results. If Tesla were to do these things they would operate more efficiently and make a lot more sales with tons of repeat business. I am hoping the current state issues are just a matter of maturity and Tesla will get there eventually. I also hope the current state is not a deliberate and long term approach.

Reactions: Big Ike and BigNick
What is this covered repair that you keep referring to?
Not sure why you are chasing down this road as I don't see why it matters. But I'll give you three recent examples... door handles stopped working (2nd time) and screens has dark yellow lines ( also 2nd time). Also had the 12v batter that they replaced some years ago and called it covered and then replaced this time and said it wasn't and charged me for it. I've had so many things go wrong over the years that I couldn't even begin to recount them all for you. Some kept it from driving, some were just annoying. And with all that, I still love the car.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
You may very well be right about this. But still, why can't they meet the challenge of increasing service where necessary based on owner density? I have too much respect for Elon's intelligence to believe he either A) isn't aware of how bad it is or B) doesn't know how to fix it. What I don't respect is the fact that I believe he IS aware, DOES know how to address it and chooses not to do so. Perhaps that's best from a stockholder standpoint but it isn't from an owner standpoint. I would certainly think that those two things are correlated but perhaps that's one thing (among many, I'm sure) Elon knows that I don't. Either way, as an owner and a stockholder, I'm out. Hard to believe I'm alone. If I had posted something this negative in 2013 the response would have been 10 to 1 emotional attacks. In 2020, it seems to be 75% agreement.
In 2013 they had sold under 20k cars and most of the people in the service departments were sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Now, they have people that come in with plastic Harbor Freight calipers measuring panel gaps when 2 weeks before they did not even know what a "panel gap" was. Combine that with people that can't be bother to read the manual and asking for mobile service to fill their washer fluid, I can see why they what people to use the app.

Not sure why you are chasing down this road as I don't see why it matters. But I'll give you three recent examples... door handles stopped working (2nd time) and screens has dark yellow lines ( also 2nd time). Also had the 12v batter that they replaced some years ago and called it covered and then replaced this time and said it wasn't and charged me for it. I've had so many things go wrong over the years that I couldn't even begin to recount them all for you. Some kept it from driving, some were just annoying. And with all that, I still love the car.
Is this on your 2012? If so, why would you consider that covered by warranty?

Which has a deductible. I have it also on my Model S.
Sigh... don't want to argue this with you specifically. I already addressed that in my original post. You seem hellbent on defending them which is fine. I just don't need to argue it out with you. I'm pointing out what I see as shortcomings. You are certainly welcome to defend them, but everything I've posted is accurate.

Sigh... don't want to argue this with you specifically. I already addressed that in my original post. You seem hellbent on defending them which is fine. I just don't need to argue it out with you. I'm pointing out what I see as shortcomings. You are certainly welcome to defend them, but everything I've posted is accurate.
It seems to be that you are just annoyed that you are not getting freebies that you assume that you are owed.

My wife would always tell me when I got into a email chat or text thread that got a little out of hand. Hey. Pick up the phone.
The human voice can calm and soothe. Texts carry very little empathy or good tone. They are texts.... Maybe Tesla got over the skis with automation just a bit too much on the CS side.

Reactions: Big Ike and am_dmd
We had an extended warranty on our 2012 Sig S as well. The paperwork we got when we bought it said clearly there was a $200 deductible, and that was much-discussed among early Seattle-area owners.

That said, the warranty paperwork may have changed over time or be different depending on the state; so SigGuy's paperwork may have been different. Tesla being unclear was not unusual.