Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've ordered an ID.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Not content with riding the rough seas of Tesla, I've ordered an ID.3 to replace my wife's somewhat arthritic Golf. I seriously considered an SR+, but she really wanted something a little smaller and a hatch. I also considered the i3, but range was a concern as were reports of poor stability at speed and lack of grip in the wet. The ID.3 looks a good option, but the software situation is still a bit of a mess it seems - but there's a "Big Update" coming in the next month that should fix a lot of issues and enable OTA updates a la Tesla. We'll see...

tEEdq58.gif

Only joking:)

I wish you well with it and i hope that you enjoy your new purchase!

That makes me feel a lot better!
Looked at one in a local showroom, nicely put together of course and quite distinctive styling. Can't get past that plastic lump on top of the bonnet though! Be very interesting to hear your thoughts when you've had some time with it, I'm toying with doing similar although the VW Buzz does seem to tick a slightly odd box for me.

Nice

I tested a first edition a few weeks back. If you wanted a no frills golf sized EV then it was very good. So it's more of a car than the way of life a tesla seems to be. I did question the value if it was to be my only car (for the money I could have gotten something more fun or equipped if I was going ICE) but as I said, as a car for people who are a little scared of stepping out into the world of BEV it was ideally suited.

Not content with riding the rough seas of Tesla, I've ordered an ID.3 to replace my wife's somewhat arthritic Golf.

We did exactly that and took delivery a week ago. So far so good - feedback is that she prefers it to the old Golf and really enjoys the improved performance and driving position/'airyness', if you will.

We were told to expect big software update in Jan to enable carplay and OTA updates amongst other things. So far the car is reporting 4.4m/kWH which is about 50% better than my MS.

Got lucky with our dealer and ended up getting a heatpump added for only £250.

Still trying to get to grips with the finer points but happy so far.

The thing with VW is they includes audi, seat, skoda, lambo, porsche so avoiding them would 50% of the car market.
Just saying.

Very true. I’m waiting for Audi to produce an electric version of the A6 with decent range and performance, then I can return to a solidly built car that envelopes me in comfort. Not something I can really say about my tin can from Fremont. But then when Gigafactory Berlin opens the Germans might actually be able to teach Tesla how to build a proper car, so I won’t rule another Tesla out altogether.

I've not got the car yet, but it's worth mentioning a few things about the pre-sales experience:

- I've had VW dealers and their salespeople falling over themselves to sell me a car. Now, this may not be necessarily good news, but it has meant that I've been able to talk to "real people" and they call me back too! Woo - there's a novelty.

- There's competition between the dealers which you can use to negotiate the price down. It's a double-edged sword of course since I find the whole merry dance around car deals tiring - but the net result is that I've managed to get almost £9k of discount (incl the PICG) off the car's list price. That puts it over £10k cheaper than a reasonably-comparable SR+ (i.e. with alloys and metallic paint). That's a big difference. So two cars that are close on price at list are quite different when it comes to what you actually pay.

- I am completely in the loop on where the car is, when it'll be delivered, what's happening with the finance etc. If I send a query to the sales guy, I get a reply - often within minutes. I remember having to endlessly call Tesla (with waits of 45 mins quite common), just to find out how the hell I pay the invoice! The dealerships and VW UK have created processes and systems, and have the personnel, to make the whole ordering and delivery experience work in a smooth way. Tesla really are miles behind in this regard.

Now all this is really no surprise - I'm sure we've all dealt with dealers before. But I for one have become used to the "minimalist" Tesla customer service experience so this comes as a bit of a refreshing change. In normal times of course I would also have been able to visit the showroom, take a test drive, have a coffee etc.

Looking at the picture more widely though, I wonder if the Tesla sales model will succeed or not in the longer term. The cost of all that dealer attention will have to be paid for somewhere, somehow. OTOH, dealing with Tesla is sometimes just too painful.

Now let's see if the car lives up to the pre-sales !

I've not got the car yet, but it's worth mentioning a few things about the pre-sales experience:

- I've had VW dealers and their salespeople falling over themselves to sell me a car. Now, this may not be necessarily good news, but it has meant that I've been able to talk to "real people" and they call me back too! Woo - there's a novelty.

- There's competition between the dealers which you can use to negotiate the price down. It's a double-edged sword of course since I find the whole merry dance around car deals tiring - but the net result is that I've managed to get almost £9k of discount (incl the PICG) off the car's list price. That puts it over £10k cheaper than a reasonably-comparable SR+ (i.e. with alloys and metallic paint). That's a big difference. So two cars that are close on price at list are quite different when it comes to what you actually pay.

- I am completely in the loop on where the car is, when it'll be delivered, what's happening with the finance etc. If I send a query to the sales guy, I get a reply - often within minutes. I remember having to endlessly call Tesla (with waits of 45 mins quite common), just to find out how the hell I pay the invoice! The dealerships and VW UK have created processes and systems, and have the personnel, to make the whole ordering and delivery experience work in a smooth way. Tesla really are miles behind in this regard.

Now all this is really no surprise - I'm sure we've all dealt with dealers before. But I for one have become used to the "minimalist" Tesla customer service experience so this comes as a bit of a refreshing change. In normal times of course I would also have been able to visit the showroom, take a test drive, have a coffee etc.

Looking at the picture more widely though, I wonder if the Tesla sales model will succeed or not in the longer term. The cost of all that dealer attention will have to be paid for somewhere, somehow. OTOH, dealing with Tesla is sometimes just too painful.

Now let's see if the car lives up to the pre-sales !

The proof is in the pudding. Lets see how the customer service is After you have paid, sign the documents and out the door.

Reactions: WarpedOne and ringi
Interesting observations. Either VW need to make sales and are selling below margin or Tesla is making a killing at the moment!
Given that Tesla can now throw in powered boot, heat pump, extended range, etc. and not increase the price, I think it may be the later...