Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've Purchased 50+ Aftermarket Performance Products - Why MPP is Best

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last year and a half I have accumulated more parts than I know what I've done with to take my two Model 3's from great street cars to great street and track cars. I even built some of my own parts which were later replaced with MPP parts. I wanted to detail why I've come to the conclusion that MPP is hands-down the best option for Model 3 parts.

I purchased from many vendors over the last year and a half; Unplugged Performance, SPL Parts, Motion Control Suspension, Racing Brake, Essex Race Parts, Whiteline Suspension, and APEX Race Parts. Not to mention the many consumables and miscellaneous parts from Hawk Performance, Raybestos, Ferodo, Motul, Dorman, Hankook, Federal, Schroth, AIM, Konig, Carbotech/Martian Wheels, and Tire Rack.

Simply put, if you are in the market for Model 3 Aftermarket Performance Products (we're talking Suspension, Brakes, and Aero), Mountain Pass Performance has consistently delivered the highest quality parts and the absolute best customer service. Their prices are reasonable, and their products ship quickly.

Let's drive this point home. Note, it took a long time to gather this data and I am going to exclude the parts that are not Model 3 specific.

MPP Average Customer Service Response Time (31 Samples, includes weekends and evening): 12.1 Hours

All Others Average Customer Service Response Time (114 Samples, includes weekends and evening): 40 Hours

MPP Average Time to Ship (10 Samples, includes weekends and evening): 12.9 Days

All Others Average Time to Ship (24 Samples, includes weekends and evening): 37 Days

I don't want to break the data out by company; if you are interested in that feel free to PM me. It is worth mentioning that I am happy with the customer service and product I received from Essex, Martian Wheels, and APEX. It is also worth noting that shipping times have (probably) improved for vendors as the products have matured.

I think one thing that really sets MPP apart from the competition is that they are installing the parts on the car and taking them to the race track. They get real-world experience and can apply that to improve the product, they are knowledgeable about installation, and can provide useful feedback on the product. They also do not list products for sale that they won't be able to ship for months.

A good example here would be SPL. I bought the SPL Camber Arms and found out that they use SAE sizes for their hardware. Considering the Model 3 uses all metric sizing, this was actually really annoying. It took me far longer than it should have to find the correct SAE Allen head for the locks. Sure, this is minor, but when you are spending top dollar on a part it should have the appropriate hardware. On the other hand, the MPP arms use 10mm bolts and nuts. One of the most common sizes on the car.

Another example would be the MCS Coilovers. I had to drill out the stock top hats to get them to fit. The stock lower damper bolt is too short. You need to use a spacer on the FUCA mounts as the threaded section is too short. These are all minor details, but again for the money I spent on them they should be direct bolt in like the MPP's are at half the cost.

At the end of the day, I urge everyone to do their own research and buy from who you feel most comfortable with. But, I felt it was important to share my own experience given I have bought so many parts from many different vendors. Every purchase from MPP has been a positive experience. They are super responsive, their products are gorgeous and well thought out, and they work really well! I've been extremely impressed with the direct-fit, no-hassle, easy installation of their products. When you look at their pieces and compare them to others (even outside of the Model 3 community, such as Bimmerworld) they are a good value for the money. I'll admit I was skeptical of a company I had never heard of at first, but they have turned me into a believer. You cannot go wrong buying from MPP, and I look forward to new products from them in the future.

Call it intuition or whatever but ever since I got my Model 3, I knew they'd be the ones to go with. I didn't get the same "warm fuzzy" from certain other vendors who seem more bent on rushing products to market than getting them right. They are knowledgable and responsive - sometimes when I have a general question about wheel sizing etc. I'll simply straight-up ask them to get a reliable answer instead of asking the rest of you twats on here.

I will say that it's not entirely true they won't sell products they can't ship for months - when I bought my coilovers, it took ~2 months for them to ship. But at least they made it known and I agreed to it. I still really don't like this practice and it's more than just MPP - other vendors do it as well... seems to be somewhat common in this industry, which is surprising. I think a more reasonable middle-ground is a % deposit with a % of that nonrefundable, otherwise it's in effect an interest-free loan. Also shipping is a bit steep. -_-

But I definitely like them the most out of the rest of the vendors because of the quality of the parts and thorough design & testing, consistency in great service, and their huge knowledge base.

Reactions: MasterC17
Call it intuition or whatever but ever since I got my Model 3, I knew they'd be the ones to go with. I didn't get the same "warm fuzzy" from certain other vendors who seem more bent on rushing products to market than getting them right. They are knowledgable and responsive - sometimes when I have a general question about wheel sizing etc. I'll simply straight-up ask them to get a reliable answer instead of asking the rest of you twats on here.

I will say that it's not entirely true they won't sell products they can't ship for months - when I bought my coilovers, it took ~2 months for them to ship. But at least they made it known and I agreed to it. I still really don't like this practice and it's more than just MPP - other vendors do it as well... seems to be somewhat common in this industry, which is surprising. I think a more reasonable middle-ground is a % deposit with a % of that nonrefundable, otherwise it's in effect an interest-free loan. Also shipping is a bit steep. -_-

But I definitely like them the most out of the rest of the vendors because of the quality of the parts and thorough design & testing, consistency in great service, and their huge knowledge base.

LOL - us twats think we are very smart.

I should have been more specific on the shipping times. I don't mind a 2-month wait when I am aware of it up front. I do mind 6-12 months when I was expecting 2-3. MPP has always shipped on or before the expected date, not days, weeks, or months after they told me.

On the surface, shipping appears to be on the expensive side, but keep in mind the product is coming from Canada and when you compare them to other vendors they're not much/any more expensive. I paid $80 to have a spoiler shipped IN the US, and $115 for a front lip. :eek:

... Also shipping is a bit steep...

I initially thought the same thing when they charged me $112 for shipment of their comfort adjustable coilovers. However, when they explained that they use air freight to ship the coilover parts from Germany (which I believe weigh somewhere around the 50 lb range), I no longer felt their shipping charges were unreasonable.

If I were them (MPP), I would just bury the air freight cost into the product. Then, show/charge customers the more standard freight cost from their shop in Canada. This would eliminate any perception of a questionable and over-priced shipping practice.

MPP, I expect a royalty if you start using my (not very novel) idea/suggestion! ;)

Hoping KW in Germany will have my order ready to ship soon!!

I can confirm that. I had experience with tons of aftermarket vendors from Evo community and there are way more vendors there than here, but even there you can't find anyone close to MPP. I just hope that MPP will be scaling business very carefully. At some point you hire a guy to do a simple job and he screwing it all up. Be very careful with who you hire and don't let them do real job quickly.

I can confirm that. I had experience with tons of aftermarket vendors from Evo community and there are way more vendors there than here, but even there you can't find anyone close to MPP. I just hope that MPP will be scaling business very carefully. At some point you hire a guy to do a simple job and he screwing it all up. Be very careful with who you hire and don't let them do real job quickly.
The company I'm working for is in the midst of this right now... growing far too fast. Every week customer surveys get increasingly pissed-off. It seems like MPP isn't profit-obsessed and they're in it for the long run.

I had similar sentiments back in early 2018 when I saw MPP's initial thread on the forums introducing themselves. I remember thinking they're probably just another backyard aftermarket Tesla vendor trying to hop on the bandwagon to sell cheap cosmetic-only 'upgrades' and various other garbage to the techy Tesla crowd and have no idea how cars actually work. Clearly I was too quick to judge!

It only took a few days to realize that Sasha (the owner/founder of MPP) was the same race car driver/talented engineer who custom made the Electric Lotus Evora conversion that I saw on Speed Academy's YouTube channel months prior and that MPP's bespoke Model 3 products are solely focused on high-quality performance upgrades instead of the usual third party junk you see from nearly everyone else.

Needless to say, after ~$8k in MPP parts and nothing but excellent customer service, my car is over 100lbs lighter than stock while much, much more capable around a race track. It's even more comfortable than stock as a daily driver as well. Win-win. I'm super glad they're jump-starting a new aftermarket performance-based EV market and I'm happy to support them.

You guys are all too kind. Thank you so much @MasterC17 for the review, and for providing data that we didn't even know was something to be measured! Now we will focus on answering your specific emails way faster ;)

@Mash , we never want to be a big company that compromises the quality of customer service or our products for money. We love what we are doing and feel it would be less enjoyable if we had to manage a huge team and deal with the problems that come with growing big. We love tuning in all regards and there is still a lot of ways we can improve internally without having to grow and lose the personal touch.

One benefit of growth is improving our shipping prices with quantity. It is a challenge to run a company in Canada that mainly caters to Americans because you guys have been blessed with free and fast shipping for even the most mundane purchases!

KW is finishing the biggest renovation in their history, so hopefully, we can actually make a stocking order rather than have to take orders and then make our customers wait. I hate doing it, but it is the only way we can get kits made right now. The current wait time for a stocking order is 1.5 years. I guess when you provide suspension for Porsche and Ford OEM programs, MPP is just a little fish in comparison!

Here is their blog post showing off the new factory At the finish line: KW automotive will soon complete the most significant construction projects in its history

We appreciate all of the support we have received over the past 2 years and we will prove you right as we move into the future.

<3 MPP Team

You guys are all too kind. Thank you so much @MasterC17 for the review, and for providing data that we didn't even know was something to be measured! Now we will focus on answering your specific emails way faster ;)

@Mash , we never want to be a big company that compromises the quality of customer service or our products for money. We love what we are doing and feel it would be less enjoyable if we had to manage a huge team and deal with the problems that come with growing big. We love tuning in all regards and there is still a lot of ways we can improve internally without having to grow and lose the personal touch.

One benefit of growth is improving our shipping prices with quantity. It is a challenge to run a company in Canada that mainly caters to Americans because you guys have been blessed with free and fast shipping for even the most mundane purchases!

KW is finishing the biggest renovation in their history, so hopefully, we can actually make a stocking order rather than have to take orders and then make our customers wait. I hate doing it, but it is the only way we can get kits made right now. The current wait time for a stocking order is 1.5 years. I guess when you provide suspension for Porsche and Ford OEM programs, MPP is just a little fish in comparison!

Here is their blog post showing off the new factory At the finish line: KW automotive will soon complete the most significant construction projects in its history

We appreciate all of the support we have received over the past 2 years and we will prove you right as we move into the future.

<3 MPP Team
Maybe it's time to relocate? :)

Reactions: MountainPass
I had similar sentiments back in early 2018 when I saw MPP's initial thread on the forums introducing themselves. I remember thinking they're probably just another backyard aftermarket Tesla vendor trying to hop on the bandwagon to sell cheap cosmetic-only 'upgrades' and various other garbage to the techy Tesla crowd and have no idea how cars actually work. Clearly I was too quick to judge!

It only took a few days to realize that Sasha (the owner/founder of MPP) was the same race car driver/talented engineer who custom made the Electric Lotus Evora conversion that I saw on Speed Academy's YouTube channel months prior and that MPP's bespoke Model 3 products are solely focused on high-quality performance upgrades instead of the usual third party junk you see from nearly everyone else.

Needless to say, after ~$8k in MPP parts and nothing but excellent customer service, my car is over 100lbs lighter than stock while much, much more capable around a race track. It's even more comfortable than stock as a daily driver as well. Win-win. I'm super glad they're jump-starting a new aftermarket performance-based EV market and I'm happy to support them.

100% exactly why I chose their products from the beginning and had zero hesitation to put money into pre-ordering it, and will continue to do so.

Maybe it's time to relocate? :)

Or at least have a distributor located stateside.

I’m based in the UK, and have experienced the same excellent service and taken delivery of their superb products. The fact that they use their personal time to set-up sim racing for us Model 3 owners who couldn’t get to the track because of Covid, speaks volumes about Sasha and Jesse. Only true enthusiasts would do that, and that means a hell of a lot to me as a customer. :)

KW, your classic German Mittelstand company.

I really don’t know any better, so I’ll pose the following scenario/question...

Would MPP’s final product be any better or worse if they switched from KW to Ohlins?
My impression from reading the various comments/reviews from you suspension/track nerds is both KW and Ohlins make top notch products and are highly regarded.

I really don’t know any better, so I’ll pose the following scenario/question...

Would MPP’s final product be any better or worse if they switched from KW to Ohlins?
My impression from reading the various comments/reviews from you suspension/track nerds is both KW and Ohlins make top notch products and are highly regarded.

@beastmode13 did a comparison of the MPP KW vs Redwood Ohlins. Vendor - Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

Thanks for the link. That is a good read, but what I was getting at is... what would a MPP final product (coilovers) look like in terms of performance if MPP were to use Ohlins instead of KW. I pose this question/scenario because of the comment made by KenC about KW behaving like your typical German company. Not sure if Ken intended his comment to be interpreted this way, but I thought that was a jab at KW’s long product deliveries.

So, could a MPP/Ohlins coilover combination be configured/engineered to have similar performance as the current MPP/KW combination?
If so, AND if Ohlins can deliver their product to MPP in a much shorter time than KW, then why not switch to Ohlins or perhaps have/offer both combinations (a MPP/KW coilover and a MPP/Ohlins coilover)?

I can appreciate if MPP wants to stick with KW due to some previous personal or business relationship. However, MPP even admitted/said they are small fry when it comes to order volume with KW...that is the reason why MPP also stated they would have to wait 1.5 years to receive stocking parts from KW. With presumably such low order volumes, I can’t see KW offering MPP much of an OEM discount for the few parts that MPP does order from them.

To be clear, I am not complaining about the current long wait to receive the MPP/KW Comfort Adjustable Coilovers (due to supply problems problems from KW). I am patient and honesty don’t mind the 6, 8, or 10 week wait. Just really curious about a MPP/Ohlins marriage and product...

Thanks for the link. That is a good read, but what I was getting at is... what would a MPP final product (coilovers) look like in terms of performance if MPP were to use Ohlins instead of KW. I pose this question/scenario because of the comment made by KenC about KW behaving like your typical German company. Not sure if Ken intended his comment to be interpreted this way, but I thought that was a jab at KW’s long product deliveries.

So, could a MPP/Ohlins coilover combination be configured/engineered to have similar performance as the current MPP/KW combination?
If so, AND if Ohlins can deliver their product to MPP in a much shorter time than KW, then why not switch to Ohlins or perhaps have/offer both combinations (a MPP/KW coilover and a MPP/Ohlins coilover)?

I can appreciate if MPP wants to stick with KW due to some previous personal or business relationship. However, MPP even admitted/said they are small fry when it comes to order volume with KW...that is the reason why MPP also stated they would have to wait 1.5 years to receive stocking parts from KW. With presumably such low order volumes, I can’t see KW offering MPP much of an OEM discount for the few parts that MPP does order from them.

To be clear, I am not complaining about the current long wait to receive the MPP/KW Comfort Adjustable Coilovers (due to supply problems problems from KW). I am patient and honesty don’t mind the 6, 8, or 10 week wait. Just really curious about a MPP/Ohlins marriage and product...

Given that the two companies who have partnered with Ohlins are shipping considerably slower than MPP/KW, I am going to say that switching to Ohlins would have a negative affect on shipping times.

Not to mention, I am fairly certain that the Ohlins would increase the cost to the supplier (MPP), which means the consumer (all of us) would have to pay more for what is a similar product.

I am sure that some people prefer KW and others prefer Ohlin's, and that, that would be a very subjective conversation, but I believe the KW relationship is the best one for the end consumer.

Reactions: MountainPass
We have now spent years building a solid relationship with KW. We had to earn their respect by proving ourselves to them that we are worthy of developing suspension and are equals with their own development team. At first, we were very much underestimated and doubted by their engineers, which I can't blame them for at all. I can say with certainty that starting from scratch with another company because the grass looks greener can be a big headache!

Plus, when we go visit them we get to go to the Nurburgring.

Sorry, my comment was not a criticism at all! I used to be a consultant to the automotive industry and have visited numerous automotive mfrs and suppliers in Europe, particularly Germany. Germany is very proud of the companies they classify as Mittelstand companies. Small and mid-size companies that have a very important role in manufacturing high-quality components. If you look at KW's history, they basically started out of a garage. It's a classic story. I've visited quite a few similar companies. One that comes to mind is a small company making coils for BMW. Totally nondescript building, but in back is a high-tech coil manufacturing operation.