Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've seen complaints about the Model Y uncomfortable position headrests

Mr. Wonderful

Apr 19, 2021
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I just ordered mine yesterday, and see a bunch of videos on Youtube showing the forward tilt of the headrest.
Does this also apply to the 2021? In some of the videos, the fix was to remove the headrest from the seat and
bend the 2 metal rods to a more comfortable angle. I did not pay attention to that during my test drive - my bad.
I didn't know it was a concern until today.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I've never encountered this problem in my Model Y. Each manufacturer designs the seat head rest for the best cervical support during a crash to minimize whiplash.

Reactions: olsookie

Mr. Wonderful

Apr 19, 2021
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
It is more common than you may think. There are more discussions, but this will give you an idea of the problem affecting many.

• Helpful
Reactions: olsookie

spsheridan

Sep 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I think the people who don't like the feel of the Model Y headrest are those who 1) like to adjust their headrest up and down, and/or 2) like to lean their head back while driving. I have not had issues with the feel of my headrest, but this very much depends on your preferences. In any case, I would recommend not modifying the headrests unless you are not concerned about potential head and neck injuries during an accident.

Last edited:

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
Not sure how you 'remove' it, it is integral with the seat..... And if it didn't bother you on your test drive, I suspect it won't bother you at all going forward.

73Bruin

Nov 7, 2020
Torrance, CA
My wife initially complained that the head test was uncomfortable. However, we just came back from a 300 mile (each way) road trip to Carmel. She was able to find a comfortable seating position for the trip up as a passenger and back as the driver. I offered to try changing the headrest angle and she said not to bother.

GeezerSquid

Still a Geezer & Still A Squid
Jun 17, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
When I first got my Model Y (Aug.), the headrest drove me crazy! I totally planned to find a way to remove it and change the angle. Well, I never got around to it and now I can hardly believe it bothered me so much. Once again, procrastination wins the day!!

chisss

Apr 6, 2021
Southington, CT
I would say the headrests are hard but not uncomfortable, but this me comparing it my current Alfa Romeo Giulia which in all the cars I've owned they are the most comfortable headrests... they are like pillows, very plushy and supportive at the same time

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
I'm 5'9", my wife is 5'1" and our son is 6'1" and we haven't experienced any issues with the position of the headrests. We do like to tilt our seats back a wee bit (don't like church pew seating) so maybe that's why we haven't encountered any issues.

Good luck

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC