Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've seen complaints about the Model Y uncomfortable position headrests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered mine yesterday, and see a bunch of videos on Youtube showing the forward tilt of the headrest.
Does this also apply to the 2021? In some of the videos, the fix was to remove the headrest from the seat and
bend the 2 metal rods to a more comfortable angle. I did not pay attention to that during my test drive - my bad.
I didn't know it was a concern until today.

It is more common than you may think. There are more discussions, but this will give you an idea of the problem affecting many.

• Helpful
Reactions: olsookie
I think the people who don't like the feel of the Model Y headrest are those who 1) like to adjust their headrest up and down, and/or 2) like to lean their head back while driving. I have not had issues with the feel of my headrest, but this very much depends on your preferences. In any case, I would recommend not modifying the headrests unless you are not concerned about potential head and neck injuries during an accident.

Last edited:
My wife initially complained that the head test was uncomfortable. However, we just came back from a 300 mile (each way) road trip to Carmel. She was able to find a comfortable seating position for the trip up as a passenger and back as the driver. I offered to try changing the headrest angle and she said not to bother.

I would say the headrests are hard but not uncomfortable, but this me comparing it my current Alfa Romeo Giulia which in all the cars I've owned they are the most comfortable headrests... they are like pillows, very plushy and supportive at the same time

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
I'm 5'9", my wife is 5'1" and our son is 6'1" and we haven't experienced any issues with the position of the headrests. We do like to tilt our seats back a wee bit (don't like church pew seating) so maybe that's why we haven't encountered any issues.

Good luck

My headrest seems fine, also I’ve never heard this complaint.

I wouldn’t suggest modifying the headrest.
Agree, I don't suggest modifying the head restraint. Side note, this has been an issue on my older MX. I'm really tall and it digs into the back of my neck/shoulders. I've been using a tiny head cushion strapped onto the "headrest" that makes it much more comfortable.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4