Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m very happy with Version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far I really like Version 9. I haven't had a chance to try AP yet but will give it a try tonight. I really like the blind spot monitoring and finally it sees cars and trucks different. I'm actually ok with the backup cam turned off now that I can see cars behind me on the screen. So far it has worked great for cars in my blind spot.

Reactions: pilotSteve
To all that love the V9 layout and the new limitations it brings, you should STILL complain. Something that you purchased - a feature has been removed. The option to choose the layout, which your vehicle was sold with, is gone. Just because you don't care about the feature being removed today, it was still removed. Hypothetically, one year from now when a cool new Tesla approved application arrives, oh -- just put it at the bottom where the backup camera or music goes. Does any of this sink in? You lost significant functionality.

I'm sure that TESLA has some wonderful things in mind going forward, and I understand getting the software harmonized at the core can help with the variations (models) needed.

Don't let TESLA forget that you paid for a model S/X and not a 3.

Another feature is the in ability to full screen anything but the nav. Using the web browser, while parked, is on less then half the screen .So even parked I have no other option than tho have the nav on, making it nothing more than a 7 inch screen and a 10 inch gps. The 17 inch screen selling point ,over the competition, is eroding. Reminicent of the days of the Magellan suction cupped to the windshield.

That simply would be not true. You just need to drag the web browser up. It goes to within 2 inches from the top. That’s much bigger than 7 inches, not so???

I’m seeing a lot of negative comments that show users haven’t figured out how use V9 yet or haven’t used it all.

Reactions: BruceR61
That simply would be not true. You just need to drag the web browser up. It goes to within 2 inches from the top. That’s much bigger than 7 inches, not so???

I’m seeing a lot of negative comments that show users haven’t figured out how use V9 yet or haven’t used it all.
That is true .I did see how to do that after my post. I am not saying v9 is bad, or not a step in the right direction. I just feel that I have lost a function of the large screen that was important to me.
I recently rented a model 3 for the day to compare. The display is one if the quirks that would make me replace my S with another S instead of a 3. Now I feel the display more mimicks the the things I didn't like about the 3. I

I am in the like it camp. It downloaded last night and drove 150 miles today. I am one who uses Nav on top anyway and never drove with the rear camera on so many of the complaints would not apply to me. The stereo app is a bit different but workable. Only glitch is I had to re-sync my Bluetooth Audio for some reason and it then worked flawlessly. USB music has always been spotty for me so that really did not change - a non-issue to me.

I seriously don’t know what people are complaining about on the Nav. It is the same as before except when the menu first populates is shows North view. It then switches automatically to my preferred direction I’m driving view. It refreshes just fine on map view and has always been sluggish on satellite view. It is in color too and shows traffic. If there is any complaint, it is that waypoints still are non-existent in a $100K “state of the art” computerized car.

Reactions: Galve2000
Correct. This is a major safety issue.

I humbly disagree. If this was a major safety issue, then all cars would have this option. When in fact most cars with backup cameras do not let you see the camera while moving forward. So it could be argued that having the camera on at all times is MORE of a safety issue due to distraction.

It is true. You can no longer fullscreen the browser, even at its full size, sites written specifically to take advantage of the fullscreen Tesla Browser have to be modifiied for the smaller browser window that is the new "maximum size" after you try and drag it to fullscreen. The browser can no longer be full screened because Tesla wants you to always have that sliver of the map up at all times.

If v9 wasn't so broken there would be no reason for anyone to post this kind of thread trying to defend it. It's OK for people that already used its limited use layout, it's not OK for everyone else that doesn't use a map every minute of every drive.

To all that love the V9 layout and the new limitations it brings, you should STILL complain. Something that you purchased - a feature has been removed. The option to choose the layout, which your vehicle was sold with, is gone. Just because you don't care about the feature being removed today, it was still removed. Hypothetically, one year from now when a cool new Tesla approved application arrives, oh -- just put it at the bottom where the backup camera or music goes. Does any of this sink in? You lost significant functionality.

I'm sure that TESLA has some wonderful things in mind going forward, and I understand getting the software harmonized at the core can help with the variations (models) needed.
Don't let TESLA forget that you paid for a model S/X and not a 3.

shhhhh!!!

for anyone who is just absolutely loving this v9.0 Model3-ification of your existing MS and MX... a little birdie told me Telsa is working hard on an even more "refined and simplified" future!

I can't say how, but somehow I came into possession of a leaked photo showing the v9.2 prototype UI graphics for the Model S and Model X instrument cluster display, reportedly taken on a workbench in some top secret underground lab at Tesla - you know, probably the one where they keep the UI programmers locked up inside, away from the actual cars and owners.

MSMXv9.2instrumentPanelGUI.jpg

Excerpt from the Version 9.2 Release Notes:
"This week, Tesla owners across North America are once again waking up to a car that is smarter, safer and more intuitive than ever before. Software Version 9.2 introduces a user interface even more refined and simplified than our beloved and groundbreaking Version 9.0 release.

Model S and Model X owners will enjoy the refreshingly new super-simplified user interface where all the features and information you need to drive are available on the beautiful 17" touchscreen display - all in one central place, just like Model 3 owners have enjoyed since day one.
[...]
Every single Model S, Model X and Model 3 ever built will receive new features and improvements from Software Version 9.2. This is just the latest reminder that when you own a Tesla, you own a car that will only get better over time.
"

I am in the like it camp. It downloaded last night and drove 150 miles today. I am one who uses Nav on top anyway and never drove with the rear camera on so many of the complaints would not apply to me. The stereo app is a bit different but workable. Only glitch is I had to re-sync my Bluetooth Audio for some reason and it then worked flawlessly. USB music has always been spotty for me so that really did not change - a non-issue to me.

I seriously don’t know what people are complaining about on the Nav. It is the same as before except when the menu first populates is shows North view. It then switches automatically to my preferred direction I’m driving view. It refreshes just fine on map view and has always been sluggish on satellite view. It is in color too and shows traffic. If there is any complaint, it is that waypoints still are non-existent in a $100K “state of the art” computerized car.
If you know where you're going 99% of the time and don't need NAV, there's plenty to complain about. If, when we were originally looking at the car, the salesperson had pointed at the screen and said, "And this is a giant map which you can partially overlay other apps by pushing one or two buttons down here at the very bottom...oh, and you can use the rear-facing camera whenever you want, but since you can only use one non-map app at a time, and it's stuck down here on the floor away from your view out the windshield, you probably will only use the when backing up..." we'd have run screaming out the door and bought another Volt.

I don't want to see the camera on top, I want the calendar on top and energy app on the bottom like I've had for years. I have a map in the other display I can look at safely, I don't need a map on every screen and I shouldn't need to justify why I've suddenly been holding my car wrong for years.