Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J-1772 Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newb question, I can't find the answer. I just ordered a M3 LR AWD and I'm in that hellish period of waiting for the end of the quarter to get my delivery. I guess it isn't too bad because all I do now is scrounge Youtube and this site for videos and threads about the various things I need to know about for my new future with an EV. I live over an hour away from the nearest Tesla supercharger but there is a Chargepoint location only 20 minutes away (and in walking distance of a few stores and restaurant that I frequent). I'm sure I won't need this, NEMA 14-50 being installed in my garage next week, but if I wanted to use the Chargepoint I would need a J-1772 adapter. I can certainly think of a scenario where I might want to use the Chargepoint. Does Tesla ship with a J-1772 adapter or do I need to add that to the pile of accessory boxes in my garage waiting to opened sometime early June when I get delivery?

Are we sure of that? I thought they stopped including the J-1772 and 14-50 adapters as part of a cost saving approach on the Model 3's. Is that information out-of-date or is it just the 14-50 they no longer include?
That's not "out of date". Tesla NEVER stopped including the J1772 adapter. It's a completely different issue. The J1772 adapter is always needed for public charging stations wherever people are, so that's necessary. But picking one particular plug type for an outlet for everyone was beginning to not make sense. People's home electrical setups are different, and they may be choosing different type of outlets to install, depending on what their home's panel with support. Some people are putting in a 14-30 or 6-20, so a 14-50 wouldn't be what they need, so it was kind of not making sense to always give that specific one to everybody.

However, I think it would have been less annoying to people if Tesla would have just switched it to a virtual voucher, where people can redeem for one free adapter plug of their choice. That would have accomplished both: saving the waste of sending a bunch of adapters people don't need but also letting people feel they are getting what they need.

That's not "out of date". Tesla NEVER stopped including the J1772 adapter. It's a completely different issue. The J1772 adapter is always needed for public charging stations wherever people are, so that's necessary. But picking one particular plug type for an outlet for everyone was beginning to not make sense. People's home electrical setups are different, and they may be choosing different type of outlets to install, depending on what their home's panel with support. Some people are putting in a 14-30 or 6-20, so a 14-50 wouldn't be what they need, so it was kind of not making sense to always give that specific one to everybody.

However, I think it would have been less annoying to people if Tesla would have just switched it to a virtual voucher, where people can redeem for one free adapter plug of their choice. That would have accomplished both: saving the waste of sending a bunch of adapters people don't need but also letting people feel they are getting what they need.
When I thought I heard this info it was a couple of years ago. A few people were talking about not getting 3 adapters with a new car purchased from Tesla anymore. I recalled several people saying they ONLY got the 15A/120v adapter with their new car (I believe these were all Model 3 owners) at delivery. I don't have any interest in a new Model 3 then or now so I had no reason at any point to read more carefully or do my own research. My post was simply to give a heads up that that topic may be worthy of additional investigation. No harm, no foul. I was partly right with my info (they removed one of the adapters) but I also didn't present it as fact because I knew it wasn't. I even went on to say that maybe it was just the 14-50 they removed because that was the only adapter I cared about remembering because it's the one I personally use the most for our needs. When @MorrisonHiker said they included it I wanted to bridge that gap in my memory in case it was a new change. Hence all of the question marks. Tesla makes so many seemingly for no reason that's is difficult to keep track of what they did and when.

When I thought I heard this info it was a couple of years ago. A few people were talking about not getting 3 adapters with a new car purchased from Tesla anymore.
Yeah, when the change was made, there were a lot of people flipping out and spreading false rumors of all kinds about it back then: no pieces at all, only 5-15, etc. etc. So yeah, you might have heard that from some people--I'm just mentioning that it wasn't really that way.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Yeah, when the change was made, there were a lot of people flipping out and spreading false rumors of all kinds about it back then: no pieces at all, only 5-15, etc. etc. So yeah, you might have heard that from some people--I'm just mentioning that it wasn't really that way.
Awesome. Thanks for clarifying that for me. If I see that again I'll offer corrections where necessary to avoid further misinformation spreading as I trust your input on this subject.