Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J.D. Power 2022 EV Study Ranks Tesla as #1 DC Fast Charger Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J.D. Power has released their 2022 J.D. Power U.S. Electric Vehicle Experience (EVX) Public Charging Study, which states that among 11,554 owners of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) surveyed:

"Tesla Destination ranks highest among Level 2 charging stations with a score of 680. Volta(667) ranks second and ChargePoint (639) ranks third.
Tesla Supercharger ranks highest among DC fast chargers with a score of 739. It is the only DC fast charger brand to rank above industry average."

tesla-gafe71facd_1920.jpg

Many news articles, such as Bloomberg's, have decided to highlight J.D. Power's report on public charger operability and maintenance, which stated that one of five people who visited EV chargers didn't get to charge, and 72% of those blamed it on faulty equipment. The articles went on to state that this would be a major setback for Biden's $5 billion dollar plan to create EV infrastructure while diminishing or failing to mention the high praise Tesla Superchargers received in the same study.

This was additionally pointed out by Sawyer Merritt on Twitter:

One Twitter user mentioned how rare it is to see broken Tesla supercharging stations, while another mentioned an experience with Electrify America which implied that broken non-Tesla stations are commonplace:

What are your thoughts on the reliability of Tesla & non-Tesla superchargers? Let me know in your replies!

• Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and JssonB
Not surprising at all.

I've had more issues with Electrify America charges within the first 2 months of owning a non-Tesla EV than I did in 7 years of Tesla ownership.

It's just beyond depressing.

Tesla's system is either way more dependable or they're servicing is superior.

I have no idea why Electrify America sucks so bad.

As an example there is 4 stall EA station in Kelso, WA that's within the same area as a much larger Supercharger station that I liked.

When I stopped to charge on August 7th all the CCS plugs weren't working except for one plug on one stall. The one I was at was working, but at a greatly reduced charging speed.

I reported it, but they already knew about it.

It's now August 17th and the app is still showing the same information as it did when I plugged in.

Stall 01 - One port working, and one port unavailable
Stall 02 - Both ports working, but this is the one where a nearly empty battery was only charging at 36kw
Stall 03 - CCS unavailable, and the other port is CHAdeMO
Stall 04 - Both ports unavailable

In this time I've sent them two emails inquiring about the status of a fix.

The last one they responded with "we hope to have these chargers available soon, but we don't have a date to provide at this time"

This one I'm mostly pointing out because of how bad the situation was. Shortly after I plugged in a bunch of cars arrived to charge so there were people waiting, and other people struggling to get the one charger that did work to work correctly. A few people left after being frustrated, and there was one testy "Who got here first" discussion.

It was also a terrible decision to only have 4 stalls. This is a prime location between Portland and Seattle.

At all the other EA locations I've tried I haven't had any charging speed issues, but I have noticed that at least one stall will be down on average. I've also noticed the app doesn't work correctly in updating the charging status so I use the car app instead. They also tend to be slow in reacting to any button presses.

J.D. Power has released their 2022 J.D. Power U.S. Electric Vehicle Experience (EVX) Public Charging Study, which states that among 11,554 owners of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) surveyed:

"Tesla Destination ranks highest among Level 2 charging stations with a score of 680. Volta(667) ranks second and ChargePoint (639) ranks third.
Tesla Supercharger ranks highest among DC fast chargers with a score of 739. It is the only DC fast charger brand to rank above industry average."

View attachment 842150

Many news articles, such as Bloomberg's, have decided to highlight J.D. Power's report on public charger operability and maintenance, which stated that one of five people who visited EV chargers didn't get to charge, and 72% of those blamed it on faulty equipment. The articles went on to state that this would be a major setback for Biden's $5 billion dollar plan to create EV infrastructure while diminishing or failing to mention the high praise Tesla Superchargers received in the same study.

This was additionally pointed out by Sawyer Merritt on Twitter:

One Twitter user mentioned how rare it is to see broken Tesla supercharging stations, while another mentioned an experience with Electrify America which implied that broken non-Tesla stations are commonplace:

What are your thoughts on the reliability of Tesla & non-Tesla superchargers? Let me know in your replies!
I have found Tesla supercharger stations to be highly reliable. Would love for more of them to exist in my area. Other super or fast charging stations so not seem to charge as quickly IME.