Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter compatability with Level 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rifleman

Now owns 2 Model S's!!!
Nov 29, 2011
Harrison Ohio
We know that the Model S will come with an adapter that will allow it to charge from J1772 Level 2 charging stations. Does anyone know if this adapter will allow the Model S to charge from a Level 1 J1772? I would like to have a relatively cheap level 1 option that I can keep in the car at all times, so that I don't have to unplug and load up my UMC every time I leave the house (Cincinnati is still a public charging station wasteland, so if you get into trouble, the best you are going to do is a 120 outlet). The chevy volt L1 EVSE is only about $300, likely much cheaper than a second UMC would be. Does anyone know if using one of these chargers along with the model S adapter would allow for the Model S to charge?

I'm not sure going that route would gain you much more than using Telas's supplied 110V cable that you can keep in the frunk for emergencies. Which battery pack are you getting? You'll also have the J1772 adapter so can use those if you can find one. I don't think there are any public level 1 J1772 chargers. Since the Tesla 110V cable is free, I'd stick with that as your backup.

Last edited:
I'm not sure going that route would gain you much more than using Telas's supplied 110V cable that you can keep in the frunk for emergencies. Which battery pack are you getting? You'll also have the J1772 adapter so can use those if you can find one. I don't think there Re any public level 1 J1772 chargers. Since the Tesla 110V cable is free, I'd stick with that as your backup.

The Tesla 110 cable actually requires the UMC to work (and I am looking to avoid needing to unplug the UMC and take it with me every time I go anywhere). It is simply an adapter that goes from a 110 outlet to a 14-50 outlet. For those who have not seen it yet, I actually snapped a picture of it at the Florida Tesla Store.
20120505_120025.jpg

A great accessory for Tesla to offer would be a cheapish level 1 charger for the Model S that does not require the use of the UMC. I would probably buy one.

Oh, thanks. I had that wrong obviously. I thought they were doing what they did in the Roadster. Do you think you'll ever run out if you stay in Cincinnati only? Of course you'll want to take the UMC on trips with the new 110V adapter.

I wonder if a true 110V Tesla cable is something Tesla will sell as an accessory.

Last edited:
I don't think I would ever need it, but it is a nice safety net to have. I am going with the 40 kWh pack, so it is possible that if a few unplanned trips pop up during the day I could potentially get myself into trouble. It would suck to have to call a flat bed to pick up my car and take it home when an hour or two at a 120 outlet would do the trick. It would also be nice to be able to utilize a 120 outlet that is available at a place where I will be parking for several hours, without taking the risk of leaving a charger that I rely on to charge my car every night out in the open for someone to vandalize or steal.

It's usually impossible but have you talked with your work about installing J1772 chargers? Hopefully Tesla or someone can make an emergency 110V cable. I'd like to have the same thing.

Chances are you'll be fine even with the 40 kWh pack since that will be around 100 miles of real world driving in standard mode. If the 65 kWh is an option, that would probably make range a non-issue but much more expensive than a second UMC of course.

It is simply an adapter that goes from a 110 outlet to a 14-50 outlet.

I will bet real money that is not what Tesla's 110 volt adapter is. What you're looking at is a stop-gap measure. That's not even the Model S UMC.

But, what is most likely is that the 110 adapter is a small thing that fits onto the end of the UMC, similar to the 14-50 end I photographed and posted a couple months back. The J1772 will probably be a stand-alone adapter that doesn't require the UMC.

The Tesla 110 cable actually requires the UMC to work (and I am looking to avoid needing to unplug the UMC and take it with me every time I go anywhere). It is simply an adapter that goes from a 110 outlet to a 14-50 outlet. For those who have not seen it yet, I actually snapped a picture of it at the Florida Tesla Store.

A great accessory for Tesla to offer would be a cheapish level 1 charger for the Model S that does not require the use of the UMC. I would probably buy one.
Ugh, that is horrid. They need to have an emergency L1 cable that can stay in the car like the Roadster. My UMC will end up zip-tied onto a roof rafter so will be difficult to remove. I'd like an emergency cable but don't want to buy another UMC.

The 120 charger pictured above is a much better solution than the one I saw in florida. Still hoping for a cheap option for a level 1 charger, however, as I really don't want to spend $1000+ on a second UMC that will rarely be used.

At the Santana Row event they showed that there will be exchangeable plugs on the end of the UMC, including one for 110v. I think the point of this was so that you wouldn't have to carry a bunch of extra cables around with you.

The photos so far in this thread were just temporary stopgaps.