Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Durability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my Model 3 today, and I’m very excited! I drive about 40,000 miles/year, and I’m planning on getting about 60% of those miles from chargers at work, which are only slightly protected from the elements, including Michigan winters.

What are people’s experiences with heavy use of the J1772 adapter? Is it pretty durable? Should I pop for a spare adapter, especially since the nearest Tesla store will be over three hours away?

Thanks in advance!

I just ordered my Model 3 today, and I’m very excited! I drive about 40,000 miles/year, and I’m planning on getting about 60% of those miles from chargers at work, which are only slightly protected from the elements, including Michigan winters.

What are people’s experiences with heavy use of the J1772 adapter? Is it pretty durable? Should I pop for a spare adapter, especially since the nearest Tesla store will be over three hours away?

Thanks in advance!
You can always order one online (from Tesla). Why not see how it goes and order a spare as needed?

Mine lasted 4 years so far and it doesn't show any sign it will die any time soon. I wouldn't worry. They updated the design a little since then. I have a new one as well. Remember to take it with you when unplugging. It's easy to forget as it comes out with the J1772 plug and looks like it's part of it.

• Informative
Reactions: physicsfita
... Remember to take it with you when unplugging. It's easy to forget as it comes out with the J1772 plug and looks like it's part of it.
Yeah I had to help a poor woman who was wondering why a shopping mall EVSE wouldn't plug into her Bolt. Someone had left their Tesla adapter in it. We left it on top on the EVSE in case they came back for it.

The J1772 adapters are pretty basic. Mostly a solid chunk of plastic with pins on each side and wiring passing through to connect them. About the only thing I would do with one that got frequent use would be to spray some contact cleaner into it a few times a year to keep the pins clean. But that's about it.

As for purchasing a spare one, Tesla stores and service centers no longer sell adapters. All of them are sold online now (at least that's what the local service center told me). Fortunately when I ordered my 14-30 adapter for the mobile connector, Tesla didn't charge shipping. So the price was the same as when they used to be sold locally.

Mine is over 5 years old, and I literally use it every day. My wife's Leaf shares the same Chargepoint charger in our garage, so I am taking it on and off the Chargepoint EVSE daily. No sign of any problems.

I picked up a spare on eBay that I leave in the glove box in case I need one while driving. That way I leave adapter #1 in the garage full time, and the spare never leaves the car.