Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The J1772 adapter should be locked to the car with the car is locked. I am pretty sure that the J1772 can be disconnected from the adapter, but nothing terrible will happen if it disconnected under load. The contacts may just wear out a few cycles earlier.

In a lot of the videos, there is an audible "clunk" when locking and unlocking the charge port (at least that's what I think I'm seeing/hearing). Is the adapter (and UMC) held in by a mechanical latching device, or is it electromagnetic? Just curious.

It's mechanically locked in the port. Sounds like an electromagnetic actuator, though...:wink:

Thanks. I don't supposed anyone's tried yet, but would the car's alarm sound if someone tried to force the cable out while parked an unattended? My company's Volt will alarm if the cable is unplugged while locked, but the cable itself is not locked to the car.

According to the LA service center there were some early J1772 adapters that are actually slightly too large. If you find it difficult to insert the connector into the S and it requires too much force they will replace it with a correctly sized one.

This explains my practically impossible to use adapter! I had just ignored it for the time being but it was on my list for service.

Mea culpa. My apologies.

Hi Steve,

No problem.

Its sort of ironic that in the vast majority of cases when using an HPWC where the charging cable can be secured, it will be in someone's locked garage where someone disconnecting the charging cable is not an issue. Whereas in public charging situations where someone disconnecting the charging cable could be an issue, the cable can be disconnected. :wink:

Fortunately, at least the expensive adapter is still locked to the car in public charging situations.

Larry

Last edited:
In a lot of the videos, there is an audible "clunk" when locking and unlocking the charge port (at least that's what I think I'm seeing/hearing). Is the adapter (and UMC) held in by a mechanical latching device, or is it electromagnetic? Just curious.

I think what you are hearing is the contactor in the charging station closing whem the cable is attached and the car is ready to accept a charge. It is a large contactor so it makes a noticable noise.

The Model S makes a thunk at the charge port door when unlocking the cable (it's a pretty good thunk). There's also thunks for the contactors at the battery pack as well as in the MC and charging stations. The MC and charging station thunks are somewhat audible but the camera is most likely picking up the noises from the Model S.

Okay, really simple question: do the J1772 chargers communicate to the car how much current they are able to provide, or do I need to explicitly set that up on the touch screen.

With the J1772, yes. With other adapters, no. For instance if you used a NEMA14-50 adapter on a socket that you knew had only a 30AMP breaker, or was on a shared circuit with another load, then you would need to manually turn down the current level.

With the J1772, yes. With other adapters, no. For instance if you used a NEMA14-50 adapter on a socket that you knew had only a 30AMP breaker, or was on a shared circuit with another load, then you would need to manually turn down the current level.

When other adapters (for the UMC) are used correctly, the car assumes availability of current based on the adapter. For the 14-50, it's 40A. For the 14-30, it's 24A. For the 5-15, it's 12A.

Just a friendly reminder: a 50A receptacle on a 30A breaker violates the NEC/CEC if hardwired, and if done using an adapter cable is not UL listed. Both are grounds for your insurance company refusing to pay a claim on the charging location and/or your car should it burn.

Yes, I know - normally the plug type would appropriately dictate a correct amount of current, but sometimes you have to override due to unusual circumstances.
I have seen 14-50s used with breakers that don't follow code.

I think what you are hearing is the contactor in the charging station closing whem the cable is attached and the car is ready to accept a charge. It is a large contactor so it makes a noticable noise.

There is a solenoid at the charge port that raises a small plastic tab which locks in the J1772 adapter or charge cord. If you open the charge port and then lock the car you will see the tab pop up, and you won't be able to insert the adapter.

Hi Steve,

No problem.

Its sort of ironic that in the vast majority of cases when using an HPWC where the charging cable can be secured, it will be in someone's locked garage where someone disconnecting the charging cable is not an issue. Whereas in public charging situations where someone disconnecting the charging cable could be an issue, the cable can be disconnected. :wink:

Fortunately, at least the expensive adapter is still locked to the car in public charging situations.

Larry

Actually, when I walk up to my locked car without my key fob, I can press the unhook button on my J1772 and this turns off the contacter in my AV EVSE and unfortunately this action also unlocks the S charge port....and the Tesla adapter is free for the pickin'. In a few seconds the charge port relocks. If the adapter is pulled still connected to the J1772, by the time the person unplugging your car realized the had pulled your adapter by mistake, the port will have relocked, making it impossible to reinsert your adapter. If yours is missing, it may be sitting on the EVSE or on your hood.

Last edited: