Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Melted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't have to be the connection. When my plug at home failed, all the heat was coming from the wire crimps inside the J1772 handle. It was my RAV4EV inlet that was scorched rather than my Tesla J1772 adapter. I was very lucky to get this covered under warranty.

20201127_112122.jpg

20201127_112020.jpg

Last edited:
I lost an adapter to a public charger a few months ago. Got done charging, pulled the adapter out of the car and tried to get it off of the connector for 15 minutes. No luck. No outside evidence of melting, but I don't know what else could make it stick like that. The worst part is that as I was working to try to get it unstuck I glanced over a the charger for the next parking space and it was a Tesla charger - I wouldn't have needed the adapter if I parked in the next spot.
I have a J1772 in my garage and charge with the adapter every day at home, so not sure why that one decided to fry on me.

Reactions: rrosenbl
Has there been any resolution to this issue yet? I have had two (after market-amazon bought) adaptors melt on me charging with a third party charger in my bldg. I know of others that have had the same issue. Apparently, a Toyota EV user also complained of their adaptor "melting". Now I am waiting for my "tesla adaptor" to see if make makes any difference.

Has there been any resolution to this issue yet? I have had two (after market-amazon bought) adaptors melt on me charging with a third party charger in my bldg. I know of others that have had the same issue. Apparently, a Toyota EV user also complained of their adaptor "melting". Now I am waiting for my "tesla adaptor" to see if make makes any difference.
Closely check the pins on the third-party charging plug. I had one of my J1772 adapters melt and have seen others with the same issue at charging stations where there was a bad/fouled pin that caused the overheating from poor connection.

Reactions: davewill
Closely check the pins on the third-party charging plug. I had one of my J1772 adapters melt and have seen others with the same issue at charging stations where there was a bad/fouled pin that caused the overheating from poor connection.
Yes, it's very likely the plug on the EVSE that's causing the problem Given that it's happened on multiple adapters and vehicles. Don't use it any more until it gets repaired.

See my post above for an example.

I wonder if this is what happened to my old Model 3's J adapter. When I got my Model Y, I kept the Model 3's adapter and it immediately threw latching errors and wouldn't initiate charge on any station. I couldn't see any obvious damage on the old one, but when I tried the new J adapter that came with the Model Y it works perfectly. Hmm....