Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter melted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A way to solve this is to lower the ampage in your app when you charge. I did this with the same station that melted my adapter and it doesn’t melt it anymore.
I was thinking about doing that. What current did you lower it to? Most L2 posts I've used seem to not go above 32A.
I’m on my third adapter and only have charged at 32A. Clearly not low enough. Tesla refused to replace any adapter. Now I keep a spare. I have 3,000 miles on my 3 that I received in October 2022. Not happy with this weak link.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
I’m on my third adapter and only have charged at 32A. Clearly not low enough. Tesla refused to replace any adapter. Now I keep a spare. I have 3,000 miles on my 3 that I received in October 2022. Not happy with this weak link.
I'm really wondering if that's what happened to an older adapter of mine. Randomly, it stopped working. When I tried a new adapter, it worked perfectly. I never did any high amp AC charging, but.... I dunno. Weird.

I tried to get a warranty replacement from Tesla Long Beach but they said it was the public chargers fault and I have to buy a new one. Pretty lame.
Well, it IS the third party charging station's fault. The amazing thing is that Tesla was replacing them in the past. You could try filing a complaint against the third party charging network. They should be happy it wasn't the car's inlet they ruined.

Reactions: Mike8403 and EdSt
Well, it IS the third party charging station's fault. The amazing thing is that Tesla was replacing them in the past. You could try filing a complaint against the third party charging network. They should be happy it wasn't the car's inlet they ruined.
Those charging stations must not have temperature sensors in the charge cable handles. If they did, they should have reduced output current to prevent heat damage to the adapter. Tesla Wall Connectors do have temp sensors in the handles for this purpose. Even the Tesla Mobile Charge Connector has temp sensors in the adapter plugs in case the wall outlet is defective.

Yet another reason to stick with the leading brand.

Reactions: Mike8403